New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bobcat & Coyote Pelt Prices
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my Montana State Furbearer/Trapping newsletter from the Fish & Game people today.
It showed that pelt prices were up DRAMATICALLY for Bobcat, Wolverine, Otter and Badger. But they were down slightly for Coyotes and Red Fox.
The chart shows price comparisons for the years 2,002 - 2,003 and 2,004.
I will attempt to relay those prices in the same year order below:

Bobcat $135.25 - $203.00 - $280.00

Coyote $23.70 - $30.70 - $28.00

Wolverine $225.00 - $225.00 - $275.00

Red Fox $22.65 - $24.00 - $20.00

Badger $18.50 - $21.50 - $23.00

I may just start saving my Badger pelts though!
Head shoot them I guess!
And to say I am going to get more serious about Bobcat Hunting is an understatement! 2 Bobcats and I will have a new Varminter!
Bobcats may be Hunted in Montana with Rifle by residents only with a Trappers license. Wolverines may only be trapped here in Montana.
Coyote and Red Fox may be Hunted by anyone without a permit of any kind or Trapped by those with a trapping license.
Fur friendly bullets may be in order for me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fur friendly bullets may be in order for me.

.17 Remington and 25 gr. Bergers are as good as you'll get on cats and coyotes for minimal pelt damage. The fast 22 centerfires are pretty hard on cat pelts, I had the best results with a 50 gr. Sierra Blitz at 3000 out of a .222, they usually don't exit.

Don't expect similar prices next season on cats, coyotes or red fox though, the market is weakening.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember when wolverines were worth 800 bucks? and a really big beaver was 100-125????

sigh

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Remember when wolverines were worth 800 bucks?

That may have been a high at a particular sale for a specific lot but not the average price. They still average around $250 last I saw.

And I've seen the best blanket beaver go for $100 just recently, but it goes down sharply from there. And I do mean sharply.

Too bad too because beaver are a serious management problem and they need to be taken in far greater numbers.