New
Find
Notify
Tools

PD in WA?
 Login/Join

<migra>
posted
I'm contemplating a move to eastern Washington State. Is there any prarie dog shooting within a few hundred miles of Spokane?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I live in Lewiston, Idaho about 100 miles south of Spokane. No pds. There are however a fair number of ground squirrels and some rockchucks. Takes time to find good shooting areas. Also good numbers of coyotes.
I'am from S.Ariz. myself(30yrs. ago) and I miss the jackrabbit shooting and super numbers of coyotes. Oh yes, I call coyotes up here and it is fun but not the same as down on the desert.
But then the desert is not the same as it was 30yrs. ago- alot more people.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Migra: The nearest Prairie Dogs I have Hunted were 401.46 miles east of Spokane! There are lots of forest clearing dwelling Ground Squirrels though in NE. Washington, N. Idaho and NW. Montana! You would have a fun day of Hunting and shoot 25+ of them. Lots of other Varmints as others have stated also around Spokane. Night Hunting for Coyotes is good around there.
But Prairie Doggin would definitely be an "over-nighter" for a Spokane based Hunter!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<migra>
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I used to live in northesat MT and Zortman MT had the closest dogs. It was far enough away that it was still an overnighter but man there were thousands of dogs. I've talked to freinds since I left and they say the tribe is charging too much and the dogs are almost shot out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you beat me for Metaline or Curlew, I'll be ultra pissed !!!!!

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And if you do get to Washington, make sure you cover your bases with the Wildlife people. There are protected ground squirrel species in E. Washington and I am not sure which areas they inhabit. Sad ain't it.

Posts: 28 | Location: Wyoming, Like No Place On Earth | Registered: 02 February 2003Reply With Quote
<migra>
posted
Jesse James,

I'm number 7 on both lists. Check OCORS. Good luck.

Migra