New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Wild" Nutria in OR?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy of mine was talking to a guy who said there were "wild" Nutria acting as pests in the Albany/Corvalis area of Oregon. Any truth in the tale?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had nutria's in Louisianna,the cajuns ate them all the time,I couldn't get past the "Rat" look,big as a beaver but had the "Rat" look.I have left Washington and am back in Montana for 3 years now but have friends around Portland I go to steelhead fish with,I'll ask them.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
years ago As a kid living on the oregon coast, Nutria were all over the place....they were a pain in the ass! Like the post above, they are similar looking to a beaver but have a rat tale. I caught them all the time in the trap line, but they were worthless!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I trapped nutria in OR and WA years ago when they averaged about $8, they're pretty good eating too. They're an introduced species and are a pain in the ass. In addition to trapping them I floated the canals in a skiff and shot them with a .410 pump and .22 shorts, which was great fun. I could've taken a lot with a varmint rifle by setting up on a levee and popping them at distance but the pelt damage was unnaceptable.

Here's an article on nutria in OR,

Invasive Species: Mammals
Appetite for destruction
Mammal menace threatens Oregon animals, ecosystems

If they could develop a market for the pelts of at least $10 each and a market for the carcasses they'd be far less of a problem. I'd go hammer em' for a few weeks just because it's fun, but there needs to be an economic return. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well nutria hunting here in louisiana is a lot more fun, today the state will actually pay you 5 dollars a tail. Yep thats right all you have to have is the tail, no skinnig and desposing of carcusas. Shot em with a 50 bmg if you like, pelt damage not an issue. Seems as though they have been moveing in to the citys drainage system and causeing major damage. Even the cops in jefferson parish witch is a major populated subsiduary of new orleans are allowed to kill them on site with 22 shorts.

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man now there is an idea!

Some of you Cajuns need to set up "Rat" hunts!

A lot closer than driving to the midwest for Rockchucks.

And the food would be much better to boot.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's been 7 or 8 years since I lived there, but used to run into nutria all the time in the bigger sloughs off of the Willamette when fishing and duck hunting. One of the farmers actually had the Wildlife Services folks set snares for them, they were such a problem.

Sauvie Island, near Portland, was overrun with them. Always had a 22 with me when I was working near water on Sauvie.

Doug

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Another Varmint to be able to shoot in Oregon.... COOOL!

We evidently don't have them here in Southern Oregon...

Of course if I make the usual joke about Rats and being up around Portland with the rest of the liberal "RATS" that is screwing up our state, then someone from the Portland area will come on and be all "offended'....so to them, we know not all people in Portland are RATS.. its just they got more than their share of them is all...

I'll have to take my canoe and one of my 22s with me the next time I head up that way...

But can we shoot them from a boat? or isn't shooting from a boat against the law? I know shooting ACROSS water is illegal here...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafury!! You should set up a Nutria Safari for all us displaced Louisianan's. Should be a bit more enjoyable since you wouldn't have to worry about the half dozen types of Vipers, Alligators, and various tropical viruses we have in Southern Louisiana. Big Grin

Who has a recipe for the little rat bastards??

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's one for you...........

http://www.nutria.com/site14.php

r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks tasty to me........ Big Grin

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Stuffed Nutria Hindquarters?" Sounds to me like a Butt full......

Big Grin

They are quite abundant in the Eastern part of Germany where they continue to multiply like crazy. Sat on a small pond one evening and saw countless but surely many of the same ones time & again.

Was told not to shoot them due to ricochet hazzard on the water. Shucks, would have been an interesting target rich environment - at least for one evening.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shotgun works well.........

One of Us
Picture of Karamojo Bill
posted Hide Post
YES every ditch and waterway has the nasty invaders here!

Karamojo Bill

At then end of my time here, I want to come skidding through the Pearly Gates & hear God say, "Whoa Boy, that was a hell of a ride!"

Posts: 118 | Location: Margaritaville, Oregon | Registered: 30 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We go to Sunriver often, when passing Upper Klamath on 97, those fields on the right just past town are sometimes flooded, I've seen what I believe are nutrias in those fields, lots of them in fact. That was several years ago, haven't seen them lately.. anyone else seen these near K Falls??

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
But can we shoot them from a boat? or isn't shooting from a boat against the law? I know shooting ACROSS water is illegal here...
It is illeagal to shoot from a motor driven vehicle. So if it was not motor driven, it would be OK.
Page 35 in the 2008 Oregon Big Game Regulations book.

---Mike

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Flippy,
I wasn't aware we had any this far south in the state...

a river float in the old canoe would be an interesting adventure...

but then to do so, I'd have to go up north of here and be too close to all of those liberals in Portland, Salem and Eugene...I don't know if the fun factor would be worth it....

I've been daydreaming about capturing all of these cougars we have running loose in Oregon, and since they love them so much and tell us all that the cougars are not hurting the other wildlife in Oregon,... of sort of doing the catch and release thing with them..

catch them in the wild... and then release them in downtown Portland or Salem or Eugene!

pretty crafty huh???

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire,

If you haven't done it already, a great spot for a canoe float in the Bonanza/K Falls area is the Lost River. Cruised it late last summer, didn't see any Nutria, but we weren't lookin' for any. We were test running a new mud motor and boat, goin' fast makin' roostertails and noise!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Craigster,

I may have to check that out.. the Rogue River here locally is pretty good for doing floats also...

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SeaFury gonna take him a luxury varmint cruise!! hillbilly

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
yeah, me and my rifle on my 18 ft canoe I bought when I got out of college in 1975... lol

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Seafire, you'd be better served to buy a couple dozen #2 Bridger coilspring traps and go catch your quota of 7 bobcats in E. Oregon. Should average $400+ this season.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We have nutria here in tidewater MD too, and they are very serious pests. Muskrats share habitat, but eat the grasses and upper parts of marsh plants. Nutria are digging out the roots of the marsh vegetation and when it doesn't grow back, erosion begins. There has been a bounty on them off and on for years. I always thought we were on the northern end of their (introduced) range, because they really suffer with the cold here and it's hard to find one who's ears, toes or tail haven't frozen off.

quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.: They're an introduced species and are a pain in the ass. In addition to trapping them I floated the canals in a skiff and shot them with a .410 pump and .22 shorts, which was great fun. I could've taken a lot with a varmint rifle by setting up on a levee and popping them at distance but the pelt damage was unnaceptable. . .

We whack them with archery gear for sport, using the same boat drift method. It's most productive during sunny days in winter, because they huddle up on the bank in the weak sunshine, trying to stay warm:

Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafury - what say ye on ye olde Ratte Hunte?

Are ya still gnawin' on the idea?

Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
Seafury - what say ye on ye olde Ratte Hunte?

Are ya still gnawin' on the idea?

Big Grin

I've been trying to line up some time with Seafire Jr to go out.. but Boy Scouts has got us tied up every darn weekend with something...

This weekend was range duty at the local rifle range when the Regional Pistol Silohuette guys were shooting...

weekend before it was Scout-A_Rama weekend at the local park, followed by we had to serve tables for the senior citizens at the local Knights of Columbus monthly pancake breakfast...

hard to go have some fun, when you keep getting the paticipatory guilt trip from everyone else..

I may take a day off later this week and go by myself...

trying to be a good parent and a varmint hunter at the same time is a head on collision on a one lane bridge around here...

grumble grumble grumble...

John Quincy Adams