Find
Notify
Tools

Bulk 17 HMR ammo?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I'm looking to buy from 5,000 to 10,000 rounds for the 17 HMR. The ammo should be Hornady 17 grain V-max bullets. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy this large a quantity?

Thanks!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the 17Hmr ammo forum at RFC, should be some place to get it.

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine are collecting dust....

I can load a 223 for alot more economical than the price of 17 HMR ammo is getting to be....

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the usual places: Sportsman Guide, Cabelas, Midway.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird: Don't pay ANY attention to Seafire/B17G! He does not understand all the wonderful attributes of of the 17 HMR!
And he is being contrary again JUST for contraires sake!
Some of the wonderful attributes of the 17 HMR Seafire does not understand includes its absolute lack of recoil, excellent accuracy, no lost hours in the loading room, less noise to scare down potential Varmint targets than a 223 - etc etc etc!
And besides that by the time you get done shooting 10,000 of your 17 HMR rounds and Seafire is done shooting 10,000 rounds of 223 ammo he will have had to have had 2 NEW barrels smithed onto his Rifle!
He "conveniently" forgets that little EXPENSE every time he tries to berate the 17 HMR!
You can buy a whole lotta 17 HMR ammo for the price of two barrel jobs on a 223!
I am guessing about 5,250 rounds of 17 HMR ammo to be exact! Thats a lot of SHOOTING!
I would approach any major size sport shop in your area and offer them the opportunity to fill your jumbo CASH order.
Shipping of this much ammo very far would just about negate any savings you might get from a distant supplier (wholesaler etc).
Keep enjoying your 17 HMR (like so many of us are doing!) and beware of contraries - at every turn of life!
You know you've got a good thing going with your 17 HMR so just keep feeding it!
You might even call Seafires bluff and offer to buy his "dusty" ammo!
Yeah right - LOL!
The 17 HMR is THE finest rimfire cartridge EVER made!
Bar NONE!
Long live the wonderful 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Remember the Marlin Owners manual... "Under normal circumstances it is not necessicary to clean the bore"

Woo hoo!!!! clap

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tips from everyone and that includes you Seafire! thumb

I used to shoot a 22-250 at varmints until I bought my 17 hmr. Now the 17 gets the call to duty everytime I go out. It is much quiter and is easier on the shoulder after about 1000 rounds have been pumped through it. And the added benefit I can see the impact!!

I'll be sure and post my findings, if I find the mega jackpot of all sales.

Good hunting!

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to call this meeting to order of the INTERNATIONAL 17 HMR LOVERS/SEAFIRE FLAMERS SOCIETY to ORDER!

lol

VG... Stick and stones will break my bones....

Just the 17 HMR isn't my cup of tea... got too bored with it, and I still believe the ammo is too spendy...

And I actually like spending time handloading... cause I usually do it at night or when the weather is bad as opposed to sitting in front of the boob toob flipping thru the channels..

But my biggest love of the 223 over the 17 HMR... red mist... the 17 Doesn't Give me that Red Mist....and I love the Smell of Red Mist in the Morning!!!!

Besides, Real Men buy real barrels... NOT whimpy ammo! ( how's dat for a snappy comeback!!! hammering)....

Naw you 17 HMR guys are okay... just reminds me of hanging around guys back in the Midwest that always drank 3.2% Beer instead of regular 6 % Beer..... I never held it against them that they couldn't hold their liquor..... cheers

But I will keep one 17 HMR around.. I like that cheap and accurate little NEF in 17 HMR... t'aint fancy, but it makes a dandy little indestructible truck gun!

and you could talk me into a 17 Mach 4 tho....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
I still believe the ammo is too spendy...

AMEN!!

quote:

Naw you 17 HMR guys are okay... just reminds me of hanging around guys back in the Midwest that always drank 3.2% Beer instead of regular 6 % Beer..... I never held it against them that they couldn't hold their liquor..... cheers

You must ahve spent some time in Oklahoma! I had a roommate of mine from Mississippi State who went back home with me on one of our weekend getaways. He thought since the beer in Okla. was 3.2% and the beer in MS was 5.5% we could drink twice as much. He quickly found out he wasn't up to the task.

Whoever went to either Kansas or Texas it was always their duty to bring back as many cases of beer as they could afford that way we too could enjoy the taste of 6 point beer.

Graybird

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naw Graybird, my experiences with 3.2 and 6 % beer was in Minnesota and Wisconsin.. MN only sold 3.2 on Sunday... I think in the beer making state of Wisconsin, 3.2 beer was illegal or something like that....

cheers
seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
I purchase Hornady 17HMR ammo from www.midsouthshooters.com by the case that is 40 boxes,2000 rounds.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire;I am a .223 guy I only have 5 of them.But I have a S&W 647 in 17hmr w/open sights and I have made some incredible shots with it,like you I wouldnt go out and blaze away a lot of ammo but it is the best everyday carring varmint pistol I have ever owned.Badgers,rock chucks,skunks,coons,pigeons and an occasional gopher.Killing machine w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gophershooter...

I can see that application where the ammo price wouldn't be nuts...

That is why I am going to hang onto my NEF in 17 HMR...

I love the round, but the price of the ammo just doesn't cut it...not for volume shooting for what you get...

Like today, I went out and shot about 150 rounds of 223 in two rifles...

I also like to appreciate that the accuracy of my ammo has a lot to do with MY handloads... not some factory ammo....

And I also found out that some powder won't work well, and also found out, that certain bullets are not meant for a 223 with a one in 9 twist...... went POOF about a foot out of the barrel...

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
I am guessing about 5,250 rounds of 17 HMR ammo to be exact!
Thats a lot of SHOOTING!
VarmintGuy

Heck, the cost of rebarreling pays for the ammo.
2(barrels) X 5,250 = 10,500 rounds.
That makes a 17HMR CHEAPER to shoot than my .223, because I still hafta load ammo.

I'm starting to get serious about a 17HMR, VarmintGuy.

---Mike

BTW Seafire, if I need "Red Mist" I use the 6mm Rem...

It's what my .223 wants to be when it grows up! Big Grin

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Flippy,

I can get a fast '4 sale' sign on my Ruger 17 HMR.. it is the heavy barreled gray laminate stocked one.....

Has about 400 rounds thru it....

I'm gonna stay a center fire guy... I still have a couple of 22 Mags if I get the rimfire urges....

cheers
seafire
cheers

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Seafire, thanks for the offer, but I will probably go with a Marlin 917 (because I already have a 23MC in 22MAG) the mags are interchangeable, I am familiar with the configuration and it shoots like a house afire.
(no pun intended)

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote