feral cats with collars ?
 Login/Join

<bullseye>
posted
Just kidding

one of us
Picture of pete152
posted Hide Post
Yes they have collars and some times they don't .They are sneaky little rascals because sometimes they live in peoples yards and act like they aren't feral but we know!!
Peter

Posts: 171 | Location: australia | Registered: 06 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate it when they run inside, and you have to crawl under the bed to get a decent shot. I doubt if my neighbors care for it either, although I usually offer to split the meat [Big Grin]

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The worst part about hunting them inside is the light from the spotlight tends to be upsetting for the folk in the bed you are under...

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bullseye>
posted
I built a sand box in my backyard and strategically placed a tree stand a few yards away. Place some cat n rut kitty scent out and your ready.

<waldog>
posted
I just hang those tags on the lanyard of my kitten call.... just like I do when I shoot a banded goose! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
.................just waiting for Genghis to jump in here........... [Big Grin]

I like it when they have bells on their collar, makes it easy [Wink]

Bakes

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Bakes,

Well, duhhhh.... you're not supposed to shoot the ones with the bells! You cat hog! Where are your ethics? [Mad] They're the 'gimmies' and are specifically reserved for the mostly blind, half deaf old fellers! On pg.42 of the "Cat Blasters Handbook" it is very specific about this. [Big Grin] Geeez man.... be a little curteous to others and learn how to share! [Wink] [Cool] [Wink]

one of us
Picture of pete152
posted Hide Post
Some people have no respect for us old timers that is the only way I can find the furry little bundles of germs er fun.
Don't the people in bed go off when u let fly when a 300 mag goes off under them when they are a sleep!!!
Peter

Posts: 171 | Location: australia | Registered: 06 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Sorry Waldog what was I thinking, your 100% right of course.......but what if I was blindfolded with a single barrel shotgun.......

Posts: 7981 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Just chaulk it up as (another?) moment of weekness.... [Wink] ....which I'm prone to myself from time to time! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Are you guys serious? Don't you know that if you call the number on the tag, you get a reward for turning it in? [Embarrassed] Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a tree stand in the back of the house and some mice in a pen. My 416 Taylor just punches a neat hole through them. With my limited financial resources I pretend they are dwarf lions.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
Are you guys serious? Don't you know that if you call the number on the tag, you get a reward for turning it in? [Embarrassed] Dutch.

A reward for the tag too? Cool! I've just been hanging them on the fence. Along with the $4 pelt, $1 tail bounty, and 20 cents a pound to the tamale factory, this might turn out real profitable after all.

Is that why the 17HMR is backordered everywhere?

You guys have no life, you know. Me, I have an excuse. My Psychiatrist wrote it and signed it [Big Grin]

[ 12-13-2002, 20:08: Message edited by: ScottB ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
To add a serious post it is certainly possible to see feral dogs and cats with collars. Did shoot a dog that turned out to have a collar.White dog white collar snowing heavily. The address was a city 60 miles away. I wanted to return it. This was another fine example of a 'loving' pet owner who got tired of a dog and took a drive out to the country an abandoned it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Could have escaped on a trip or something too. Sad situation either way. Same goes for abandoned cats, IMO. Most of them feed the coyotes.

[/end serious reflection]

<waldog>
posted
ROTFLMAO!!! [Big Grin] I love these cat blasting posts.... they twist reality and imagination with dark sentiments all wrapped in esoteric humor. It's a fine line, but it's fun to walk from time to time.... FWIW.... [Wink]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Waldog
On the 27th of this month, I (along with a mate) will be entering a Pig and feral cat hunting competition. As its the wet season here and the pigs have spread out somewhat, we will be targeting cats. I'll keep you all informed as to how we went.

Bakes

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bakes:
.................just waiting for Genghis to jump in here........... [Big Grin]
Bakes

You guys are ALL just here BAITIN' poor ol' Genghis, aren't ya?
ADMIT it!! Ya are, aren't ya!?!? Jes' like ya were baitin' those
little kitties, right?

AWRIGHT!!!!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
If you think seeing a black cat was bad luck. I saw two!!! And they were humping!!! [Eek!] [Eek!]

Cats are such sluts!! [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cool Guy:
Cats are such sluts!! [Mad] [Mad]

Isant that the Truth [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Ghengis probably isn't over the using the "using gasoline for a gun cleaner"idea yet,,,,,not that I condone doing that myself.He had a lot to say in regards to it.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on guys!
If there's enough left to tell there was a collar,

YA' AIN'T USIN' E'NUFF GUN!!!!!!

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
On a slightly more serious note:

Someone mentioned stray dogs and the like. Reminded me of where I grew up, in Nebraska along the North Platte river. Lots of people would get a dog for a present, and when lil' Rover got to be more than they could handle, well, they'd just drop them off at the river. Over time, quite a 'pack' would accumulate, completely unafraid of people of course (not good anywhere, but especially in a ranching area). Periodically (every few years) the locals would put the word out, and everybody would lock their dogs in the barn/shed/garage whatever. Then would commence a drive of the river, and anything that was remotely canine was fair game. Anything that survived had a more than healthy respect for people and stayed *far* away from residences and farms. Until a few years went by and the town folk had blessed us w/ another batch of 'Rovers'.

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
DannoBoone
WHAT.....us baiting Genghis......how dare you sir! [Mad] [Wink] [Big Grin] But he is being very quite hey!

Bakes

[ 12-14-2002, 15:40: Message edited by: Bakes ]

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Recipe for Collared Kitty:
Green pasture
White kitty
7mm Rem Mag rifle of your choice loaded with Ballistic Tips (140~150 grain red pointy object)

Place white kitty in green pasture and let it run around. Load up the 7mm rifle with said red pointy objects. Let kitty get about 300~400 yards out. Squeeze gently. You are finished when red pointy object connects and turns kitty red. A red mist may be noticed. [Wink]

[ 12-15-2002, 00:56: Message edited by: BlackHawk1 ]

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
<bullseye>
posted
I also like to cruise the retirement communities. Seems like those feral cats with collars try to blend in with the pet population. Cats seem to be attracted to old ladies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any experience baiting but has anyone else here tried shaking a can of "Pounce" treats??? It gets 'em comin' quick!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there a school where one can learn how to hunt cats? I'd like to sign up.
wort

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Wort,,Lession #1,Just leave the lid off of your trashcan.If it does'nt bring in any cats,at least some crows should come in for you to shoot at.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Field tests indicate high probability of success in removing collars remotely by application of .257 75 gr VMAX at 3200-3600 fps, however it is difficult to prove in the aftermath that there was a collar in the first place.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Sendaro>
posted
Does anyone know what they are paying for cat pelts this year? Also have a large assortment of pre-owned cat collars for sale at great prices. There are a few with .270 dia holes that I have really marked down. Stay tuned, film at 11:00.

<VernAK>
posted
You guys are missing out on the profits....a half kitten is thee best halibut bait there is and every trapper worth his salt knows that a piece of tainted cat meat is the best wolf trapping lure....

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC! People who will appreciate my desire to shoot feral cats.

I'd like to participate but Oahu is not so well suited. Too much suburban space. I also wonder if maybe these little bastards are keeping the rat population under control. I know the imported mongoose isn't doing that because rats are active the other half of the day.

Any recommendation for hunting these cats when there isn't more than 50 yards of green space? Maybe a 22LR pistol? I'll have to contact the local DNR equivalent to volunteer my services. The malls with their huge trash bins and Chinatown seem like favorite gathering places. The UH campus is good too, but too many damn hippies feeding them.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had a feral cat take up residence in his shed and was eating the quail, pheasants and other birds he was putting out feed for. He saw this cat running across his back yard with a bird in it's mouth, so he shot it. Turned out to be a nieghbors unattended cat. The nieghbor immidiately called The Sherrif's Office and PETA. Within 2 hours the cops were at his door along with several local TV news crews.(honest, I could not believe it) My friend is a 57 year old man who does a lot of good in the community, he is a Scout leader,He goes in to our states prison for boys and holds weekly Bible studies, and is very active in church volunteer work. 90 days ago he went before a cat loving judge who sentenced him to 5 days in jail and 80 hours of community service plus bench probation. [Confused] [Mad] [Mad]

[ 01-07-2003, 16:04: Message edited by: Merle White ]

Posts: 4 | Location: Oregon City, Oregon | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sparksinner:
Any recommendation for hunting these cats when there isn't more than 50 yards of green space? Maybe a 22LR pistol? I'll have to contact the local DNR equivalent to volunteer my services. The malls with their huge trash bins and Chinatown seem like favorite gathering places. The UH campus is good too, but too many damn hippies feeding them.

No handguns! too noisey! [Eek!] Try a 22 rifle with CB caps. [Wink] it's very quiet, but you need to restrict yourself to headshots at no more than 75 feet.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<CatShooter>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by sparksinner:
FANTASTIC! People who will appreciate my desire to shoot feral cats.... <snip>

I know the imported mongoose isn't doing that because rats are active the other half of the day.

Consider the rats as another target of opportunity [Wink] .

quote:
... and Chinatown seem like favorite gathering places.
Very badd idea dude. If the Tong gangs catch you, you're in for big trouble, plus, if you shoot the cats, the price of Chicken Chow Mien will triple!!

CatShooter.

[ 01-08-2003, 08:17: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Catshooter - you should not worry about the price of Chicken Chow Mien as I plan to undercut the prices with my recipes [Razz] . You know from my other post that I work day and night getting tasty treats to gather for all that ask [Smile] . On the other hand RATS are not much of a culinary challenge for me [Wink] .

Oh well --- Back to the stove.
Turtle [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy Howdy, It's great to find other Cat whackers other than myself. Next to Armadillo shooting Cat whackin is about my favorite sport. I really like the way a 7 mag with 140 grain ballistic tips just blow them up and leave nothing but a bloody spot.

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Handloader -
I must complain the waist of good eating you propose. Your behavior can do nothing but drive the price of local Chow Mien through the roof [Eek!] . Please think before you pull that trigger and put one through the ear or eye [Wink] . I know its fun Handloader but please be more careful in your pursuit [Smile] . I am also sure that talk like that could upset friend Genghis and we would have to put up with his "I'll shoot all rednecks" again [Roll Eyes] . BTW have you ever tried a Ten G 3.5 with slugs? [Big Grin]

Back to the stove
Turtle [Cool]

Posts: 1115 | Location: SE PA | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote