THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Difference between western & eastern coyote hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference between western & eastern coyote hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Most of the videos I have seen & articles I have read about hunting coyotes deals with hunting them in the western U.S. What would the difference be in hunting Coyotes in, let's say Wyoming & Georgia? Would you be better off hunting from a blind or a tree stand, things of that nature, or is there really any difference?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dawn2Dusk
posted Hide Post
I hunt "Pasture Dogs" (i.e. Yotes) in Georgia and Alabama. The videos I see of folks coyote hunting out west is totally different than how I hunt in the East but it is totally terrain driven. I have a few cow pastures where I can mimic western style hunting and the use of a long range rifle but in the general sense of things, I am hunting small fields or open hardwoods on the edges of thick cover. Sometimes my shots will be as close as 50 yards. One of my go to coyote rigs is a T/C Contender Pistol with a 4x scope in .223. I can tote it all day and not get worn out, I can shoot 150 yards without any trouble, and I can move the gun fast depending on where the 'yote is coming from. I am looking for a AR-15 platform to build me a good coyote "Rifle" out of.

Oh, I always hunt on the ground with a wind coming from either my right or left, I do use a decoy set out approx. 40 yards in front of me, I utilize camo from head to toe and even utilize limbs, leaves, etc. to make my set up more concealed. I call for 1 minute, wait 5, call for 1 minute, wait 5, call for 1 minute wait 10 and if nothing I move a couple hundred yard to another set up.

--------------------------

"D2D"

Shot Placement Is What It's About... Good Hunting To All...

Posts: 37 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
hvy barrel,

I am not located in the east, but the coyotes we have in this area are certainly not western coyotes. I will relate what I have learned from hunting them (lately) in eastern Montana and western Nodak compared to northern Wisconsin. You can take it for what it is worth.

I only use mouth calls in both places, have never had an e-caller. In Mt. we typically howl to locate the yotes and then try to get closer to howl them in, or use distress calls. In this area the yotes are pretty much silent as most are run down and killed by wolves as soon as they start howling. This eliminates the vocal ones and leaves the silent ones, making them very hard to locate. In areas of Wi. and Mn. (where I have called) where there are fewer wolves, you can use a howler to locate.

One of the most variable aspects IMO is the howl. I rarely hear the typical western howl around here. The coyotes call is much quicker and is made up of more yips. You really have to get your mouth moving to imitate the call in this area. IMO the yotes do not come to the howl as they do out west. I can usually howl Mt. yotes in, but have had little success around here.

Like they say in business: location, location, location. In this area I spend more time locating their territory and good places to call then I do actually calling. Out west you can just crawl over the next ridge and call and glass and have success.

I am more concerned with camouflage/hiding in this area. I have not used a tree stand enough to judge its worth. I try to enter and leave an area as silently as possible, climbing into and out of a tree stand would not sit well with me. If your scouting is right, you could be very close to a yote and the noise of getting into a stand could send him packing.

I do a lot more lip squeaking around here. In some set-ups I only lip squeak. Out west I lip squeak for a couple of minutes, wait/glass for five and then go to a distress call.

Calling yotes in this area can be very frustrating. You have to love to do it, even when nothing shows up. Out west, I have seen more coyotes in a couple of days than I have in one year around here.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote