THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Rem 700 aftermarket trigger info? Jewell/Rifle Bas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rem 700 aftermarket trigger info? Jewell/Rifle Bas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I bought the Jewell trigger for my LTR. Super clean break at 6 ounces. You guys were right, now I am trying to dig up $200 for another one. I finally figured out about 10 years ago and get the best and quit jacking around, you spend more money trying to get the cheap stuff to work. Thanks jb

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark. I'm not sure it would be tough to get but you better be the patient type, cause the folks at Canjar aren't in any hurry. I have several or their triggers and when I called this last time the old gal on the phone said it'd be at least six months maybe a year.

mho
Your right about them being an aquired taste. I am of course talking about varmint guns not big game, and you do indeed need to unset the trigger if you decide not to shoot after getting set up. That said some of my target rifles have 2 oz triggers and for shooting teensey groups it's a necessity. After aquiring the taste any ultra accurate rifle with more than a 6 or 8 oz pull feels like your pulling tree stumps. That's the nice thing about "fully" adjustable triggers, adjust the weight to 3 lbs and don't set it if your walking around hunting. Then when your all set up and squeezing one off at a p-dog 475yrds away set it and a 3.5 oz break sure facilitates hits.
Certainly not for everyone, those that are a bit hit or miss on safety issues should go with something much heavier but there is indeed a reason bench rest guns all have 2 oz triggers. Thanks to CZ I think you'll see a lot more single sets here in the States in future years.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
This is a great topic! I've been looking at 'upgrading' the trigger in my Rem700SA match rifle... currently running a tuned factory trigger at about 2.5#, which is fine for the RapidFire events, but for some of the Slowfire events, it seems like I see the sights where I want them, and by the time I get done tugging that dang trigger I've wobbled out of the 10/X ring again. I'd been looking at getting a Jewell or something else and setting it in the 1.5# range as a compromise btwn safety against fat-fingering the trigger in Rapids, and light enough for Prone Slowfire.

These single-set triggers sound great. I had thought that the reason the set triggers had fallen out of favor here in the states had to do w/ issues of increased lock time? Any validity in that? I realize that about anything I do locktime-wise will still be light years faster than an AR, but that's not saying much.

Thanks,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Well, I bought the Jewell trigger for my LTR. Super clean break at 6 ounces. You guys were right, now I am trying to dig up $200 for another one.

Well,,, don't tell us we did not "warn" you,! They are kind of addictive, aren't they? Happy you liked your new Jewell, I like mine so much that I also try to plan one of these into all future projects where possible. Darn expensive, but nice!

Quote:

Finally I found Kepplinger, Austrian single set breaks at 2lbs unset and 3.5 oz set (fully adjustable of course).
I love this trigger. Since getting it 2 of my buddies have tried it and now own one or more.

Mountdog, I'm happy you like your set triggers, they are very popular here in Europe. To me, they are a bit of an acquired taste, I am personally a bit leery about them. They have safety issues: remember to unset when you did not fire etc. A lot of set triggers here in Europe are adjusted so low in their set positions that you can't get your finger on the trigger before they go off. I don't think this is beneficial to good shooting, people start slapping their triggers, and that pulls them off the target, set or unset. I don't like that the trigger weight is not the same in all modes, e.g. if I have to shoot both stationary and moving targets, unless I have time to set the trigger, I have to deal with different pull weights. Finally, I try (not always possible, but at least I try) to get all of my triggers set to the same weight. That helps me when shooting different rifles. I find it hard to go from one weight of pull (very light, set, say) to a radically different one (unset at 3lbs, say).

OK, all this not to question your choice of the set trigger. Hey it is your rifle, and if it rocks your boat... I just thought I'd contribute my part to the discussion about set triggers.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug---I was trying to remember the name of that trigger, seems to me it was fairly easy on the pocket book as well?

By the way guys I have a Jewell on my 700/7 Mashburn, it is wonderful trigger and it will spoil you......

Doug-how tough do you spose it would be to find a Canjar for a 788?

Thx

C-Ya at the shop

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to go left on everyone as Jewel certainly makes a nice trigger ---but---. A year and a half ago while putting together a Tactical .20 on a Remington Varmint I called Canjar ( I love single sets ). Seems Canjar's clocks run months and their calendar runs in years so they are out and I kept looking. Finally I found Kepplinger, Austrian single set breaks at 2lbs unset and 3.5 oz set (fully adjustable of course).
I love this trigger. Since getting it 2 of my buddies have tried it and now own one or more.
Great un set for cold fingered hunting, 3.5oz set for bench and varmints. There's more of em in my future. Brownells has em.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok: I buy all my Jewell triggers from Russ Haydons Shooters Supply!

I will let you do the investigating on his prices. He advertises in the Varmint Hunters Association Magazine as well as all the BR and Precision Rifle magazines. He also has a nifty web site and his service is second to NONE!

I own triggers made by Canjar (single set types), Jewell, Shilen, Timney and probably some others. Having said that I hesitate to say that the Jewell's are actually worth the large expense over a factory Remington 700 trigger for Varminting. You mentioned Coyote Hunting and target shooting with the same Rifle. If it was just to be used for Coyote Hunting I would keep that $221.00 in your pocket til you see another Rifle you want and slap it down on that next appealing addition to your arsenal. I can adjust a Remington 700 trigger to work so pleasingly that I am sure I have never lost a Coyote to a poor trigger or mechanical SNAFU of a Remington 700 trigger!

I love the Jewells but it would take a really DISTANT shot on a Prairie Dogs head peeking over its mound to realize the difference in a properly adjusted Remington 700 trigger and a very lightly set Jewell!

Some food for thought there.

And I am not discounting the pride of ownership of having the "best" factor in relaying my thoughts on the Jewell's! Like I said I have several of them.

Good luck with your new Jewell and think about having a professional $25.00 trigger job done on your Remington 700's! They are very fine triggers for Varminting in my experience.

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote