THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Need Camo Barrel sock for heavy Barrel

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need Camo Barrel sock for heavy Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
IW,

I am about to deal with this problem on my M 700 Rem VLS 22-250 which is all tuned and ready for some'yote work.The barrel is not stainless,but it is polished, so I have been thinking of a non permanent way to camo the barrel.

I am going to take an idea from the Marine Snipers.They often wrap camo fabric around their barrels for use in the field.

I would put a nice coat past wax on the barrel first(all around it with the stock off) to waterproof it as much as possible.Then,I would get some woven camo cloth in the patern of your choice and with the stock back on the metalwork,wrap the forend and the barrel in a spiral design up toward the muzzle.

Obviously,you will run the wraps under the scope- my scope is matte finished,so there is not need for me to camo it.I would take some dull finished tape-paper pacakaging tape or masking tape would work well and use it to wrap around the cloth, snugging it down about every 4-6 inches along the way.

As far as the very end of the muzzle goes.I would use a piece of tape to cover it,leaving plenty of clearance around the bore itself!

Anyway,that's my plan for my rifle in a week or so..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call me a heretic, but the answer is simple,

Rattle, rattle, Sssssssssssssss..........

And it'll clean off with Brake-Clean and a rag when you wanna go all shiny again.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I do for camo on the barrel of one of my varmint rifles, if I feel the need for it, is that I purchased a camo'ed kids T shirt at Walmart for $3.00. I just stick the barrel right thru the sleeves on it and then just put a rubber band or a clip on it to hold it on the barrel. I let the lower part of the T shirt just hang, and it breaks up any form the rifle would have in the field.

It was a cheap solution, works great and can be taken off just by removing the rubber band and sliding the T shirt off of the barrel.

Nothing to clean up.

hope that sheds some light on the question.

cheers and happy holidays
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote