THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Last try with the 40's in the .204 SavageVLP!!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Last try with the 40's in the .204 SavageVLP!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The Savage VLP didn't like the 40VMax's with Varget, H4895, BenchMark, or Reloader 10! Should have quit then! But gave it one last try using 748.....SOS....differnt day! Shot a .6, 8 shot group with the 32's and 28.3 grains ofH4895 and that's where it's staying! I think the best to date group with any combo(factory 40's included) with the 40's has been totally unacceptable!!! I have a few 40's left if any of y'all want them! Save yourself the trouble and expense of buying them and then finding out they won't shoot!! I love the feel of the rifle and am totally satisfied with it's performance with the 32's!! So that's what it gets fed from now on! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hey GHD, I just got a Savage 12 vlp delivered, and my six boxes of factory ammo will be deliverd by ups tomarrow. I bought three of each to test, the 33 and 40. very disapointed to hear of your results with the 40s. I would like to hope that since each barrel is an individual personality that mine would be different and will shoot the 40s ok, but think probably will have the same result. Of course i will test to determine for my self. I have tried to follow all threads regarding the 204, and it looks like maybe others are having similar results?

How do you account for this. wrong twist for these heavier bullets? mmm i don't recall, did you try the various berger heavier bullets with same poor results?

still, a beautifull rifle, the savage 12 vlp, and if the lighter bullets is what it likes, then so be it. finding out will mean plenty of range time. of course if it is as quiet as i hope, then i can shoot right here at home. we shall see. i guess there are enough folks interested in this new cartridge that i should post results, yes?

work time now.

Clayman 204