New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 Pet loads
 Login/Join

<jayloar>
posted
Anyone have any pet 243 loads? Both varmint and deer sized game pet loads would be appreciated. I've got a new Tikka 243 coming this week and I'm just having some fun thinking about trying this or trying that. If it helps I've got some Hornady 65gr A-Max bullets and Barnes 85gr XBT coming in the mail to start out with. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I only shoot varmits with my 243 but I use wcc844 with a 80 serria bt blitz. I have shot sub 2 in groups with it at 400 yards.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For varmints (prairie dogs), I have really liked 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, which have given me outstanding accuracy and devastating performance. I suspect that the similar Sierras and Hornady's might work as well in some guns. I run them up to about 3600 fps out of a 24" HB Browing-Sako using IMR 4320 (happened to have this particular powder on hand, but suspect that anthing similar in burning rate between 4895 and 4350 would do well).

That said, I have just tried a new load using the Nosler 55 grain B.T., and it is even more accurate in my gun than the 70 grainer! Haven't tried it in the field, but am looking forward to it next month. I used IMR 4895 to stoke this bullet up to just short of 4000 fps.

The Sierra 80 grain SBT Varminter does well in my gun also, but not quite in the same class with the ballistic tips. I recommend H4831 for anything 80 grains and heavier in a .243.

For deer, the old Nosler 100 grain Solid Base (now unavailable) is excellent, but I wouldn't hesitate to substitute a Sierra 100 grain flat base (in conventional bullets, stay away from boat tails -- they tend to shed jackets worse). Start with about 42 grains or so of H4831 and work up to a comfortable pressure/velocity. IMR 7828 may work better in some guns.

There are a lot of other very fine powders and excellent bullets. I don't mean to exclude them; these are just the ones which have done well for me.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<abnrigger>
posted
For deer I use 47 gr. H450 and 100 gr. Nosler Partition good for 1.25 inch groups 3100 fps out of my BAR. For Varmints 39 gr. IMR 3031 and 75 gr. Hornady hollow point good for.75 inch groups and 3100 fps out of my 16 inch barreled custom specialty pistol. I've never lost a deer with that first load and jack rabbits just explode when hit with the 75 gr. hollow points.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A load that I have used in 3 different 243s and have loaded it for friends is the 100gr.Sierra flat base in front of 43grs. of IMR4350. This usually gives right at 3050fps. out of a 22in. barrel. I use Rem. brass and CCI#200 primers.
My daughter has a run of 6 1shot kills on deer with this load. It's a thumper. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here is what i do for varmits i use 40 gr 4895 with 70 gr Speer TNTs my ruger varmiter will shoot these at 3625 fps. when i do my part it will shoot them in the .200s. this is at the bottom of the power charge in my manual. for deer elk and moose i use 48 gr 7828 (this is more than my manual says is max) with a 95 gr Nosler BT at 3200 fps. out of my ruger ultralite when iam on it will shoot in the .400s. have also tried the nosler 55gr bts out of the varmiter with 53 gr of H380 shoot at 4296 fps. have chronyed these a few times. just feel they are to fast for long barrel life

Posts: 61 | Location: Missoula,Mt | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<George Foster>
posted
My favorite load for the 243 for quite a few years now has been the 85HPBT Sierra in front of 45.5gr IMR4831. I have used this bullet for woodchucks and as of the last two or three years have made it my deer load also. This load usually averages 1/2" or less for three shot groups.

Good Hunting,
George

<green 788>
posted
George,

I like the IMR 4831 charge for the 85 grain BTHP also. I think the Sierra 85 grain BTHP is probably the best all around bullet going for this chambering. Apparently most other shooters agree, as it is far and away Sierra's best seller in the 6mm caliber...

I use the max of 46 grains of IMR 4831 in my old Mannlicher-Schoenauer (rebarreled in the 60's to .243 win) for a tack driving load from its 24" tube.

I have had good results with IMR 4350 as well, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, between 41 and 43.5 grains with the 85 grain bullet.

My current load, however, is Sierra's recommended charge of 36.5 grains of Varget behind their 85 grain BTHP. I pinned a groundhog the other day at a little over 200 yards with this load. When I say pinned, I mean he didn't even twitch, and had quite the exit wound!

The 36.5 grain Varget charge works well with CCI 200 primers, and reportedly with Remington 9 1/2's. This is an accurate load, and is very stable in changing temperatures. Try it and you'll see what I mean. Velocity will be in the 3000 fps range, depending on barrel length.

Stay with 85 grainers and you'll be all set for deer and varmints, in my opinion. And you'll only have to learn one trajectory.

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Sierra 70 hpbt and Varget for the best accuracey in my m700.

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<George Foster>
posted
green788,

I have never tried the faster powders in either my 243 or 6mm. I have used IMR4831 since 1976 and have always had excellent results with it. I have used IMR4350 also and have some in the powder cabinet now but I never have had the results with it that I have with IMR4831.

I agree with you, for an all around bullet in the 243 or 6mm you can't beat the 85HPBT. Also I have had more than one Sierra tech tell me that the 85HPBT is the best bullet for deer in the 243 or 6mm.

Good Hunting,
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
they told me the same thing, guess what it blisters deer, or anything else those guys at sierra are no b.s.!

<Reloader66>
posted
I find the Watson 65 grain FBHP bullet is very accurate with 38.5 grains of Varget powder Winchester brass Federal primers in my Savage 243. They are devastating on wood chucks when they strike.