New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold Bore Sighter ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any experience with the "New" Leupold Zero Point Magnetic Illuminated Boresighter?
The reason I ask is that I am doing so much scope work on 17 and 20 caliber Rifles anymore that my lack of a "spud" for my old tried and true Bushnell Boresighter in 17 and 20 calibers is starting to wear on me and is wasting my time.
I am wondering if anyone has one of these new type end of barrel boresighters and are they worth the money and how well do they work?
I can not remember the last time I boresighted a Rifle with my Bushnell and it was not on the paper at 50 yards. And usually if I am lazy and don't start at 50 yards I am on the paper at 100 yards with it!
Anyway I would appreciate any experiences and/or opinions you might have with this tool!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
VarmintGuy

In all these years I've never used a Bore Sighter. I just put my rifle in the rest, take the bolt out and look down the bore at one of those small floresent dots about 25 feet away. I get it centered as well as I can. Then take a peak through my scope and very carefully adjust as required. Usually gets me within about 3 inches at a hundred. A bag full of shot or sand over the stock will help hold it in place for you. You know I'm just not a high tech guy by now.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay Johnson: Thats the way I do it now with the 17 and 20 caliber Rifles I work on these days.
My gunroom where my gun vises are is downstairs and has no windows. I have to take the Rifles upstairs to my sun room and then go get my Dog-Gone-Good "X" type sandbag out of the VarmintMobile to cradle the Rifle in and then do the alignment thingy. Then put everything back. It works fair and to tell the truth I had never thought to try a close up dot like you do. I am always looking for a white rock in a field a couple hundreds of yards away.
And of course this only works during the 8 hours of daylight (as of these days) and I can't do anything during the dark hours.
Yeah my decision is to spend the money for two new spuds in 17 and 20 calibers or forward that money to the new Leupold type bore sighter that works off of the end of the barrel.
I just measured my gun room and its not long enough to use from where my bench and gun vises are.
Thanks again Jay.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey VG - just go to anybody with a lathe and have him turn out a couple of spuds from 1/4" rod. cheap and easy

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchbloc: Now thats a great idea! It would probably be inexpensive AND quick to accomplish. I will look into this ASAP.
Thank you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

<slancey>
posted
I used the illuminated boresighter last weekend.
I was very impressed with the ease of use.
First shots were 2" off the bull at 100 yards after mounting a new scope on a friend's new rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've also used the Leupold magnetic model and it works OK. I don't know how, but it does.

I still like the Bushnell model better, though I do hate putting chrome plated steel spuds into the muzzle.

I put together a custom .243 target rifle for my daughter's mid-January birthday and carefully boresighted it with my old Bushnell unit. Set the crosshairs just below center, as to make it shoot a tad higher than the boreline.

Went to Quantico Marine Corps Base in VA, where I am a range member, to test it out and get it zeroed. We shoot on the 1,000 yard range, normally start at 100 and work back to 1k.

I figured we'd have the opportunity to verify the boresight and 'get on paper' at 100. We got cut short last range day, so this time, they started us at 600 yards. Hell - no zero . . . .

I checked the ballistic data, put 11 moa elevation (my 100 to 600 yard come-up) on the scope and she let one go . . . hit 30" right and at the correct elevation. I put a few minutes left on it and we were 'on' with shot # 2 - can't beat that for a boresight!

Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
I purchased the Leupold Bore Sighter about a month ago. Have some opinions.
    I prefer the magnetic type.
    It is easy to use.
    Fits all my barrels.
    Easy to develop reference points if you switch loads.
    The small reference paper that Leupold supplies is near useless. Made my own on business cards and my range target notation sheet.
    Overpriced, but then I think the rest are overpriced too.