New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem LTR accuracy problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Remington LTR that shoots 1" to 1.75", 5 shot groups. I have did a tremendious amount of load development. I finally got it to shoot .4" to 1" groups by loosening the rear stock to receiver bolt up a little. I put in a Jewell trigger hoping to tighten that up. After I got the rifle back from the smith it is again back to 1" to 1.75" groups. I tried adjust the stock screws as before but did not help much. It does seem to shoot 69 gr. Sierra match bullets around a inch but does not like much else. What is the torque procedure for a Remington heavy barrel with a HS (kelvar) block stock? Should I try having it bedded? Need help. Jim

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eek. Mine has had the trigger changed for a Rifle Basix, and happily shoots around .5 moa.

Whilst the bedding on my LTR hasn't been touched, I have had all of my other HS Precision stocked rifles bedded. There can also be burrs on the metal bedding block that need to be smoothed. The fact that it shot differently with the rear screw loosened would make me suspicious of the way it is sitting on the block.

Have you tried changing the scope for another one? Are the results the same?

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
I know there are people who swear by torquing the stock bolts on a Rem 700 w/ the synthetic stock to something like 65 inch-lbs of torque. And then there are people like me who go til it's snug, then a big more. No need to gorilla the things.

As far as bedding... dunno if it'll help you that much, cuz both my Rem700VS's shot under an inch w/ a whole bunch of loads. But the short answer is yes, see about getting a gunsmith to do a 'skim-coat' or 'butter-coat'. The whole concept of a round action sitting in a V-block and not needing conventional bedding sounds good, but it ignores one problem: modern mass production tolerances. Both of my guns shot better still after being skim bedded.

For the load development... I presume you've tried different seating depths?

HTH,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. Get it bedded. Those bedding blocks are not the be all and end all. I use a 65 inch # torque wrench on my heavy barreled Remingtons. Nicely snug works well also (~ 35 "#).
2. If that doesn't do it I would then fire lap the barrel and have your smith turn the barrel back two turns and cut a new SAAMI min spec chamber. I have had two Remington Varmint rifles over the last 10 years (out of four) that have needed that treatment. One had an off center chamber, the other had excessive headspace. After fire lapping and a re-chamber job they both settled down nicely.
3. If you have access to a bore scope, take a peak in the barrel. When Remington barrels are good, they are pretty decent. When they are bad they look like many miles of very bad road.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok: I am assuming your Rifle is in 223? If so I recommend the Federal 205 Match primers (205M).
I torque my fiberglass stocked Remington bolt actioned Rifles to 45 inch/pounds using my Snap-On torque wrench.
Are your large groups roundish or do they show a predominant vertical or horizontal dispersion?
What power scope do you have on the LTR?
I torque both screws to about half poundage then torque the front to full and then the rear screw. I do not know if this has any effect I just do it this way.
Do you use windflags and only shoot on the calmest of wind type days?
Your Remington certainly should shoot better than that.
Looking forward to helping you wring this one out!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok, I have an LTR in 223 that is a tack driver with the factory Winchester ammo. It has Leupold Mk4 rings and bases and topped with a Mk4 target dot scope.
The only thing done to the gun is the trigger was re-worked, smoothed and lightened. As far as the action screws they are just tightened up snug.The two things I would look at would be scope bases and rings and also check to see if there might be some binding in the fit of the stock and the magazine box/action area.
Hope you can get this worked out as the LTR's are great guns

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the tips. I do use Federal Match primers. I have a Leupold 4.5x14x40 scope with a Burris one piece base and Leupold rings. I really don't think it is the scope or mounting as it did shoot .5" groups for a while. Most of my shooting for accuracy was done on calm days. I am going to check for burrs and try another re-torqueing job and if it don't settle down again I will try the skim bedding job. Thanks for all the help.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok: That is a great scope and should be plenty of scope power (as you proved before!) to be able to shoot those half inch groups!
Hmmm.... I hope your fixes will get this Rifle back on track.
Let me ask you once more and do not answer if you would rather not - are the large groups roundish or predominantly vertical or horizontal in dispersion?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this gun still under warranty? Had a problem with my new .223 Police Model. Sent back to remington and they finally got it shooting good. Now groups less that 0.5 MOA 90% of the time with custom bullets; mostly .300's. If you want to send back to Remington for warranty repairs, let me know and I will dig out the Supervisor's name at Ilion, NY.
Ron

Posts: 85 | Location: Charleston, WV USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy & C210 The groups were roundish. No vertical or horizontal stringing. The rifle is still in warranty or unless Remington says installing a 6oz. Jewell void the warranty. I did take it out of the stock and remove some rough edges in the aluminum bedding block and put it back together and shot it tonight. 25 gr. of Varget with 69 gr. Sierra Match bullets and had a 5 shot group went .430". I was very pleased but 25.5 of the same went at an 1". Not bad just not consistant. Hell it might be me, I see about as good as a one eyed Rino. I have an LVSF in .223 that will shoot cirles around the LTR and is not nearly as picky with loads. Some guns just have a mind of thier own and the LTR is damn sure strong willed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok: If you are shooting the other Remington real well then your technique and range procedures are not at the root of this particular Rifles inconsistency!
I would be real happy with any factory (mostly factory - except for the Jewell trigger) Remington that would shoot in the 4's!
I would try that load again (the 25 gr. Varget load) and if it does nearly as well as the .430" group then maybe that will get done what you want done with that Rifle.
Thanks again for the E-mail by the way.
Raining and windy here in SW Montana so I can not get my new (to me) Remington 700 VSSF in 220 Swift out to the range for my initial testing.
Good luck with the "head strong" Rifle and I hope it gets in a groove here soon!
Great trigger - great scope - real good Rifle - I hope you can get it shooting to your satisfaction soon!
Maybe that skim bedding suggestion should be next to try as a solution?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

posted Hide Post
C210
I would like to have the name and phone # of the remington supervisor. I have a remington 700 308 remington VLS. one of the bolt lugs show a seating pattern when blued and the other lug, won't rub the blue off the seat.
bglenn

Posts: 70 | Location: Ok. | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With Quote