Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted
I have spent the afternoon shooting holes in paper with a custom made 220 Swift and a Ruger M77 22-250 with a varmit barrel. The Swift will shoot one hole groups at 100yds, and the Ruger will shoot 3/4 in groups. Now, I cleaned both barrels with Butch's Bore Shine and Kroil. I shoot Berger moly 52g bullets. I do not over clean, I try to generally follow directions for cleaning a moly coated barrel. Tomorrow, if I shoot at a crow with my nice clean 22-250 it will shoot maybe an inch or so off. After one or two "fouling" shots it is dead on again. What do you guys do? Do I clean the barrel, and then shoot it a couple of times....Thanks for replys, BA

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
All guns seem to have their own personality, sort of what makes having a bunch fun. If a couple fouling shoots is what it takes, then a couple fouling shots is what you need to do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For up to 100 rounds or so with moly coated bullets in a 17, 22cf, or a 6mm when I'am done for the day I just run 2 patches of Kroil and 2 dry patches. That's it. After 100rds. I will clean with a brush or if I suspect some copper I use Sweets. After Sweets guns(like my swift) may take up to 12-15rds. to settle down.
I do a lot of coyote calling durning the winter and I leave the bore fouled all winter, but I watch it for rust. A coyote will seldom be fired more then 50 durning the winter. A friend lost a great shooting 221 barrel doing that. Watch for rust.

When shooting moly first came into use another friend tried it, cleaning his gun every time he used it, I mean he really cleaned it. He could never get any of his guns to shoot with moly--because he kept cleaning it out of the barrels. Now he swears moly is no good and a gun won't shoot unless it's super clean after each outing.

Call em in close___Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try leaving out the kroil and shoot your first shot from a dry barrel. 'course you wouldn't want to store it without something in the bore in which case you'll need the fouling shoots. Then again, you might want to try another brand of bore oil.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote