Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 22-250 SECRETS???????
 Login/Join

posted
I have a 788 Rem. in .22/250. It really likes the 70 gr. speer with 40gr. 4831.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc Stone: You have a great load there already for the Prairie Dogs! I have used the 50 gr. V-Max's on them out of other calibers and it is an excellent choice! Have you lightened the Remingtons trigger to about 38 - 40 ounces? That might also help you get that Remington down under 1/2" groups. I don't know if I would fuss with it much more trying to get it under .500" grouping! I have several great Prairie Dog Rifles that shoot that size groups (.600"). They do pretty well in the Prairie Dog towns! Maybe more scope power also would be an easy aid to getting under .500" groups! What scope and power do you have on that Remington now?
I hope you get your Safari on track!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmit Guy, Your posts are the best!!!! I have a canjar trigger on it set to 14 ozs. and the scope is a leupy 6.5x20x50 w/ side focus..fine reticle.. The weak link in the 1/2 " goal is probably ole "Voldoc02".. Have any of you got any real life experience w/ the Rem. 700 w/ the big carbon barrel?? It seems to be really slow to heat up.. (a good thing?? Martha Stewart says.. LOL Plese give me anyother advise on my varmit sarfari to SD in May.. thanks Doc Stone 'n TN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would any of you"OLD" experienced Varmit hunters give me a good 22-250 load recipe???? I've got a new Rem. 700 w/carbon barrel. Break in is doing good as groups are in the 6's. THANKS Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
Voldoc02,

My favorite load in the three 22-250 rifles I have are as follows:

50 gr Ballistic Silvertip
40.0 gr H-380
CCI-BR2
Win brass

This is a hot load, clocking 3900 fps out of my two 26" varminters and should be approached with care as some rifles will not handle this load safely.

Start at 37.0 gr and work up.

Also, this load can be heat sensitive so do your load testing in warm weather if you want top performance.

The reason I use this load is because it shoots 1/2 moa out to 400 yards and it is a very flat shooting load. Plus I have many many pounds of H-380 on the shelf to use up. Onve it is gone, I will probably work up a load with H-4895 with the same bullet just because it is not effected by heat.

It will not be as fast but if the groups are still there I will be happy.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One classic load is 38 grains of h380 and a 55 grain bullet of your choice.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Voldoc02: I tried to get some insight into where you are or what you might be looking to Hunt with the 22-250 by checking your profile. No luck there or where you may be from but let me guess, from your handle (voldoc02) I am guessing you might be from the the Volunteer state which as I recall is Tennessee? I am not sure but in case your intention is to shoot Wood Chucks then I have a load that works great on western Rock Chucks - for sure.
22-250 Remington load = Winchester brass, Remington 9 1/2 primers, Sierra 55 gr. Blitz bullet with 33.0 grs. of IMR 3031! The Rifle I use this load in is a Remington 40XB with 27 1/4" factory barrel. Double check and adjust your load accordingly.
I have killed a ton of Chucks with this Rifle/load - no I MEAN IT - a TON of Chucks! Those Sierra Blitz bullets are wonderful Varmint bullets - accurate, lethal, cheap, explosive (no ricochets) and easy to find. Give them a try!
Good luck with the nifty new Rifle! By the way which scope did you put on that Rifle?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with loading remington brass with the following:

cci 250 magnum primers
34 grains of IMR-3031 powder
55 gr. Speer Spitzer SP bullets.

I can tell you p-dogs don't like that recipe.

Posts: 294 | Location: Waunakee, WI USA | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's not my information. The Hogden powders are not very sensitive to cold, but they are much like other powders when it comes to heat sensitivity. They should be less senstive to heat than the H-380 you are using. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eremicus,

H-380 is a ball powder and most ball powders will be more sensitive to temp changes then stick powders.

Also, all of the Extreme line of Hodgdon powders are extremely temp resistant, at least from the 0 to 100 degree area. I am not saying that a max load developed at 0 degrees will not be to hot at 100 degrees but they do better then any other powder I have tested out there so far.

But H-380 and H-414 and the old H-870 are not in this family and are a bit finicky with varying temps. At least this is what my data over the chronograph has told me.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the info.. I am new to varmit hunting but am enjoying the load (rifle) developing very much.. Yes, I am from the volunteer state TN and I am a children's dentist, ie (voldoc02).. Me and a group of Tn rednecks are trying to get up a varmit safari to SD this spring. I am trying to get some good medicine ready for them thar rats (PD's).. My best load to date is WW neck sized brass, CCI-200, V-MAX 50gr., Varget 37.5grs. throwed. 2.4775 OAL, shoots into 6's all day long.. I plan on bedding the Rem 700 into the HS stock and hope that will put me under 1/2".. Varmithunter 's post are worth the price of admission alone. thanks very much and I am enjoying this site.. Doc Stone 'n TN PS-- velocity is 3800+ a mite

one of us
posted Hide Post
VD(no pun intended), what other powders and bullets have you tried so far? Varget is a good powder, but my 700 VLS 223 didn't like it as much as IMR4895. My groups with the Varget stayed in the 6's and 7's, but the 4895 brought me down into the 3's and 4's, with a best going in the 2's. I had very similar results when using it in a 22-250, but don't recall group sizes. Some folks have great success with it, but it definitely isn't my favorite.

I also have great success with the cheap Sierra Spitzer Varminters. They don't have the fancy plastic tip, but they tend to be more accurate in my guns than the plastic tipped bullets. They don't look as cool, but definitely get the job done.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Voldoc02: No I have not had anything to do with the carbon barreled Remington 700's. I was dealing on one a two years ago and it got bought out from under me. I think they are a neat idea and have to hand it to Remington for trying new things! Good for them.
That should be a great rig once you get out into Prairie Dog country!
I have a couple of Canjar single set triggers on different Varminters and I enjoy that style. I should have bought a Canjar trigger I saw at a Gunshow in Hamilton, Montana last week - it was a Canjar single set trigger for a Ruger M-77! The guy wanted $35.00 for it and if a M-77 had been in my immediate future plans I would have jumped on it.
Good luck in your load development program.
More later
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy