Find
Notify
Tools

Varnint Nightmare bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of just say moe
posted
Anybody use these from Midsouth? I was considering the 55gr for 22-250 and possbly 223.
thanks

"Pick out two!" - Moe Howard

Posts: 295 | Location: ARKANSAS - Ouachita mtns. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they still back ordered out the fanny?

I called to order some and they quoted me some ridiculous amout of time... so I went to another source... Grafs has some good deals, these are Hornady 55 gr SPs with a Cannelure is all...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention what type of bullet they are.
I us the Hornaday 55gr bullets in my AR but I don't think that quite have the impact that the Speer TNT or the Barnes Varminator do (which I have heard have been discontinued)
The 55grs work well on coyotes.

Posts: 24 | Location: Des Moines, IA | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well they open up sage rats just fine...

they are soft points..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, my '06 and 110's work swell on coyotes too.

Depending on whether I want to keep the pelts or not is all.

I've found any brand of 55gr in .223 will blow big holes out the far sides on coyotes.

IF you want to keep the pelt, use 40gr they won't exit
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just say moe:
Anybody use these from Midsouth? I was considering the 55gr for 22-250 and possbly 223.
thanks

I bought a ton of these when they were still $92/2000. Have loaded a bunch of them in once-fired 223 brass I picked up for $12/1000.

These loads were for the cheap NEF 223's I bought for the kids (5 boys) to use shooting Wyoming prairie dogs. I use a small base die to prevent any extraction problems on the prairie, due to dirty chambers.

Anyway, those 'cheap' loads in those 'cheap' rifles have often left me scratching my head.

Guess someone should tell the kids that they shouldn't be shooting that well with inferior equipment.

Posts: 6357 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesIn any of a number of rifles a group of us have used them in they are more than just adequate. Good luck trying to get some at $92.00/ 2k anymore. Mid South is advertising it for $114.0 /2k. That boat has sailed from what I hear. Frownerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called MidSouth yesterday...

They indicated that they have 60 something orders waiting.. with no delivery date in sight yet...

Might be a good time to get your orders in for the 2008 season, the way supplies look.. at least on this product... killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so glad I purchased 'several' thousand at $92/2000.

My wife may say Obsessive/Compulsive, but I say WISE!

Off topic, but did anyone else 'cash in' on that special MidwayUSA had (a while back), where the plastic tipped Sierra BlitzKing 55's were only $6.20/100. The Obsessive/Compulsive came to the surface again.

I store all my bullets in my secret underground bomb shelter (just kidding about that part).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from Midsouth, indicating the Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets were back in stock.

The price hike was a shocker.
$34.75/500

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Werner:
Just got an email from Midsouth, indicating the Varmint Nightmare Extreme bullets were back in stock.The price hike was a shocker.
$34.75/500

These are not the same bullets as before. They may be better or worse. ConfusedRoger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote