Find
Notify
Tools

Oversize bolt handle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I made this bolt handle for a .260 long range rifle I'm putting together. It's on my "beat around" .223 for show, the .260 is not together yet.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ammohouse
posted Hide Post
I can't see the picture...anybody else see it?

*we band of 45-70ers*

USAF AMMO Retired!

Posts: 246 | Location: from TEXAS, stationed in South Dakota | Registered: 02 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i can`t see it

One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I see the pic...very nice knob. Good job.

I had Mr. Boltman weld an extended bolt handle on a Mauser bolt and he did a very good job. I also have several designs for the bolt knob itself drawn up to make and try out when I can get back into my garage and at my tools...plus several of my Savages have the larger stock bolt handles, both tactical and the big knobbed one. I have similar plans for modifying the stock bolt handles...extending them,adding larger knobs, or different shaped knobs and/or bending.

Is the knob made stainless steel or aluminum? If SS how does the added weight of the knob feel when cycling?

Thanks

'Njoy

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
It's actually CR steel, shiney from the lathe. I plan to duracoat the rifle it'll be on. The knob does feel heavy but not in a bad way. The weight actually makes the forward thrust of the bolt more fluid. I do pland to drill the off end of it out larger up to the threads to lighten it some. The original design was tapered from the handle up to the body but when I tried it on backwards I liked the blunt face as my thumb came up against it on the forward stroke. I can't argue about what feels right and works better so I turned the taper down about flat and like it. With the rifle shouldered and kept on target the bolt comes back with my index finger and back into battery with my thumb.

one of us
Picture of Bullshooter
posted Hide Post
Thats a good looking knob. How bout something really different. What I'm thinking of isnt a really practical knob but more of a theme. I think on a dedicated BR or varmint rifle that a miniturized Hurst T-handle that pays tribute to the 60's muscle car era would look kinda cool. Just a thought. Maybe I'll delete this post when the beer wears off. Big Grin

Posts: 162 | Location: puyallup wa. | Registered: 24 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
To be honest I am looking for mini skull to drill and tap for a handle. You can swap them out as the mood changes.