Tools

What Scope ....
 Login/Join

posted
What Scope do you use ? And Why ??

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
For what, predators, ground hogs, prairie dogs?

For predators, a good 3-9x40/42 will get the job done. I use Nikon Monarch's.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Sorry,,, for P-Dogs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nikon Monarch 5.5X16
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun and the range at which I intend to use it. My "short range" guns like .22 Hornet wear a simple 3-9 Leupold compact or VX. When shots are under 200 yards, this is plenty of magnification. My "intermediate" guns like a .222 Magnum used for shots of up to 300 yards, wear something like a 4-12X Leupold (substitute your favorite make of scope). My "long steppers" use either a 6-18 or a 6.5-20. I particulaly like a 6-18 Leupold with the LRV reticle on my .244 Remington HB. I set the crosshair for 425 yards, which puts the hash marks very close at 500, 600, and 700 yards, respectively. I find using the holdover hash marks much more convenient than trying to "dial-in" each shot with your reticle adjustment. Dialing that thing up and down constantly has to wear it out, no matter who made it.

Although most shooting is done at maximum magnification, the lower powers are useful when you're having difficulty locating the PD in a scope's narrow FOV. Once located, you can dial up to maximum. I once had a gun mounted with a fixed 24X, but found the difficulty of locating the little buggers (which can scurry out of the FOV of a 24X scope in the wink of an eye) made shooting so slow as to negate any power advantage the scope offered.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I learned to shoot varmints using a 4x Leupold on an Arisaka action rebarreled to 300 Savage! Thought I was the cat's meow!! Then I got a 243 Remington 700ADL and put a 3x9 Weaver on it!! I could kill stuff a long ways off with that rig! Then I traded the 243 for a Remington Varmint Special in 22-250.......kept the scope!! Another level in varminting! AND THEN I bought a 6-18 REDFIELD!!! VOILA!! Varminting at it's finest!! The 22-250 and the Redfield accounted for untold truckloads of vermin!!! I then got ahold of a Remington ADL in 25-06!!! Topped it with another one of the Redfield 6-18's. I think if memory serves me correct, I bought the Redfield 6-18's for $86.44/each!! The Redfield of today is not the same Redfield of yesteryear.(although I hear that Leupold has bought the Redfield name and is making them here again but only offering 3-9 or 4-12). Today, 40 years later, the Nikons get summons. 4.5-14 Buckmasters on the 17HMR, and at least 3 different DEER HUNTING RIFLES(check them out at dusk compared to the offering of Leupold or anything else short of Zeiss or the Europeans!!) 6-18 Buckmasters on at least 5 different varminters, 6.5-20(old style)(( wish they still made that one, I'd own a couple more of them!!) Monarch on the wonderful 204 Savage VLP and 6-24 Monarch on the 1000 yard 260. For the best buy in optics today, NIKON is hard to beat! ECONOMICS, CLARITY, DEFINITION TO EDGE OF VEIWING FIELD, REPEATABILITY(I dial 20-50 times a day in a good groundhog territory). For the varminter, something in the NIKON line fits!! Do I have other stuff? Yes. I have a Burris 4-12 on a CZ HM2 and Leupold 4X on 22RF and Leupold 3-9EFR on another 22RF. One day soon they all have some sort of NIKON on them!! And then I'll use the extra cash to buy more ammo, bullets, or powder for the others! I do have one ZEISS Diavari also!!! Hoping the wife gets a promotion and salary increase so I could have more of them!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I live almost all shots are well under 100yds for most every critter.For me low powers are best.Something like 2.5-10 would be about max.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My designated prarie dog rifle wears a weaver v24 6-24x42. Its worked well for me for the last 10 years....
22-250 Shots can be as far as you want to shoot. My best was 535 yds.

Posts: 716 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 223 (Remington 700VS) and 204 (Savage LRPV) heavy varminters wear Leupold VX3s at 6.5-20. My light varminter (custom Ruger 22-250) wears a Leupold 4.5-14.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On my 22-250 I use a nikon monarch 6.5-20x and on my .223 I have a nikon monarch 5.5-16.5. They are both the old style with AO and I got a great deal on them as new old stock. They are both great scopes for what I use them for and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Jason

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
I'm in agreement with others here, my simple answer is "it depends."

My Savage 22 Hornet, a Pentax 6x.
My Remmy Model 7 in 223 has a Pentax 3x9.
My 'big' Remmy in 22/250 has a Burris Fullfield II that goes to 16x.

It all depends on the gun and the purpose of the gun. I use my small Remmy for coyotes and such so it is light and portable.

The heavier the gun an the less portability is an issue the bigger the scope.

I do have limits, many years of shooting prairie dogs in Wyoming and Montana have taught me that the super sized 24x scopes are generally useless. With heat mirage and such 16x seems to be ideal.

I will say that varmint hunting demands the best quality optics you can spring for. Your deer rifle gets relatively no shooting compared to a varmint weapon. The better quality the optics the better you can see what you are aiming for and the less fatigue you will experience over a long day of shooting.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorites recently are the Leupold 6.5-20x with the varmint hunters reticle. I have two of them and like them very much. I have a Nikon 6.5-20x with duplex reticle that is a nice scope, but the varmint hunters reticle on the Leupolds allows me to hit better at long range, especially if the wind is blowing.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always liked this 1 (Unertl 20x 2")--

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
....I think if memory serves me correct, I bought the Redfield 6-18's for $86.44/each!!! GHD
Charlie, that was alot of money back in '62!
jumping

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
I always liked this 1 (Unertl 20x 2")--

Sure like your scope!! tu2
I have a Unertl 1 1/2"-24x target scope I use on a few rifles.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
Sightron SII 6.5-20x40mmAO on a CZ527 Varminter .223.
Bushnell Trophy 4-12x42mmAO on a Marlin 917v .17HMR
Bushnell Trophy 3-9x42mm on a Browning A-bolt .22WMR

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Don--here's another 1 that's on a dedicated PD rig (Unertl BV-20 with TK Lee reticle)--Svg. Tgt. Action/8-twist McGowen barrel/225 Win. Haven't even shot it yet, but after coyote season it will see some action--

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sscoyote:
Hey Don--here's another 1 that's on a dedicated PD rig (Unertl BV-20 with TK Lee reticle)--Svg. Tgt. Action/8-twist McGowen barrel/225 Win. Haven't even shot it yet, but after coyote season it will see some action--

AWESOME!!!
I LOVE it.
225 Win Heap Big medicine.. Big Grin

Don

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Like GHD, I'm a big Nikon Monarch fan. I own several and am well pleased with them. I have a Tikka .223 on its way to my vault and it will need some sort of glass on it. It will be a walking varminter so I don't want to overglass it. I'm thinking a 2.5-10 or 3-12 should give me plenty of power.
I would like to try one of the higher powered Zeiss Conquest scopes on a .22 caliber centerfire but need to clean out some of my other items prior to purchase. Are there any Zeiss Conquest users who can comment?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
Cliff,

I agree with your choice on scopes. I like the term "walking varminter" I've heard it before but I'd forgotten. I just got a new Remington Predator in 223 and it's super light weight and easy handling. I have a couple of heavy guns but wanted something nice to walk around looking for varmints with.

I am a fan of Zeiss glass. I have two of their Conquest line on hunting rifles and every time I hand one of the guns to a fellow shooter to have a look at the glass the response is always "Wow!" I haven't saved up enough money for a high power for long range work but I shot a buddy's rifle two years ago on a prairie dog hunt and he had a big Zeiss and it is hands down amazing and I can't imagine it could get any better. Clarity is simply outstanding, no compromise.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
Are there any Zeiss Conquest users who can comment?

I was at the range yesterday with my buddy when we did a side-by-side comparison.

Rifle one is Ruger .22 target rifle with an older (1994) Leupold Vari-X II 6-18X40mm AO.

The second is a custom AR-15 with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50mm with target turrets.

I can say with objectivity, along with my shooting buddy, that the difference is remarkable. I want to preface it by saying that we are both also very into photography and have a pension for the high quality glass in professional lenses. In other words, we know what weaknesses to look for.

To look through the Leupold by itself, you would think it is the cat's meow. There is some noticeable fuzz around the edges, but the center of the field of view is bright and clear. Resolution is great and fine print can be read at 100 yds.

However, the Zeiss is in a league of its own. It was noticeably brighter, the fine lines on the target were sharper, the resolution was higher, and the contrast was noticeably improved. There was also very clear edge-to-edge sharpness.

Was this a fair comparison? No, not really. It's like comparing a Mercedes to an Acura. Both are extremely nice and great to own, but one is clearly in a class above the other. The Zeiss is German, heavy, robust, and has slightly better build quality. The Leupold is (I still believe) Japanese glass in a sleek and trim, fast handling, and lightweight tube. Both will get the job done very well, but you may prefer one over the other depending on need.

I also have some of the Vari-X III, VX-III and VX-3 Leupold models. Respectively, the difference between the Zeiss Conquest and the Leupolds becomes less noticeable with each successive model.

Those are my thoughts anyways.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
kenati.
That is the sort of authorative answer that is looked for when the question is asked about scope choise.
For the rest of us we give our opinion of the scopes we have and are generally up tyo the task we have got them for.
For myself I have had a number of brands over the years and like the Nikons just fine. I have 4.5-14 and 4-16,s on my reaching rifles now. This is plenty of magnification for field rifles in my part of the world anyway.
Again as Kenati said, viewed in isolation most of todays scopes in the mid price range and better will all serve very well for thier intended purpose. Most of the choise after your wallet has had a say is in the features offered such as retical choise, turrets and thier adjustment types, AO or side focus, etc etc.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to get an "ol' timey" vah-mint raffle for a bunch of years, but they've been out-priced for me...'til now. I had a Martini .219 Zipper Imp with a Lyman Targetspot 12X, then found that it was good for the price...to hang on the mantle!
I just came across a Highwall .219 Zipper Imp, with a Unertl 8X and I'm putting my Redfield 3200 20X onto it 'cause it's internally adjustable.
We don't get to shoot "sod poodles" much here, so we scatter "picket pins." They're pretty small, so we tend to more powerful scopes. Yes, we've got trouble with mirage. My answer is a second rifle...any excuse. The Redfield came off my 700V .222, when I put an 8-32X on so I could dial down as it warms.
For a "walking varminter," (what I call a "calling gun") I have an M98 Mauser with 20" barrel in a .25, like a .250 Savage Improved, with a 2-7X Widefield.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nevmavrick, What aproblem to have!! 2 classic varminters trying to figure out which should be the mantlepiece!!!
Just for the interested andjust so you all will know that GHD practices what he preaches, I needed another VARMINT RIFLE scope last Thursday for a Sendero 25-06.............it wears proudly a NIKON 6-18 SF Buckmaster! It coulda' had Leupold VX-whatever but it wears the Nikon...........fit an function!!!GHD PS: I really wish they'd never changed the Buckmasters series to to the SF series. I fully believe that the Front Focus series of the Buckmasters was a bit clearer and "full field of view to the edge of viewing field sharper" than the current models. But at the price and performance "repeated dialing up and down" the NIKONS reign supreme for "affordable to the masses" in glass.GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I recently went through the same question and was seriously evaluating my optics choice for my Remington 700 chambered in the fast 204 Ruger.

So I asked here of course and alot of people seem to like the Nikon line of scopes. And they are a great clear scope, and well worth what you pay for them. Im lucky enough to have quite a few friends that shooting Nikons, Leupold, Trijicon, Nightforce and even Zeiss. I looked through, shot, handled and priced nearly every qualtiy piece of glass on the market. I looked at everything possible to get the most out of my 204. My goals for the rifle was head shots on P-dogs and ground hogs @350 yrds.

When my father purchased the rifle for me as a Christmas present, he stuck on some low end BSA optics with a 24x magnification. I thought this set-up when I first shot it was superior to everything on the planet. Boy was I wrong!!!

After shooting plenty of high end glassed rifles in a variety of calibers. I surprisingly made a decision on a scope I once glanced at and put down due to thinking it was mediocre.

I finally settled on a Mueller Eradicator scope. Once mounting this scope, glass bedding and free floating the barrel on my 204, sighting it in at 150 yrds with Federal premium ammo with 39 grain sierra bullets. also installing a 1LB trigger...Now this rifle is an absolute laser beam out to 400 yrds. The target turrets on the scope were a MUST since I wanted to shoot lots of various distances. So a little time at the range and learning my elevation marks for the scope and my ammmo. I will without hesitation take aim at small varmints at 400 yrds and squeeze off head shots. The pink mist is a great sight through the scope and I would compare the clarity of this scope to the VX-II series scopes from Leupold but for 1/4 the price.

But for the price, a Nikon is very hard to trump. The Pro series of Nikons are incredably clear, and as with any varmint rifle a target or fine crosshair is a MUST HAVE! in close with my 204 and the fine cross hair, I can shoot eye balls. My best shot to date with the rifle is a crow head shot at 173 yrds.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
GHD-The decision was made for me. I got it in an estate sale, but there was a lot of hand grease, body oil, etc, on the stock, and when it was cleaned off, it was found to be a AAAFancy piece of French Walnut. The rifle had been built in 1937. The barrel had been cleaned from the muzzle by a chimpanzee! Much of the rifling had been destroyed for 2"!!
I talked to a gunsmith here and we decided to take the barrel from HIS Sharps .219 Wasp, and install it on MY rifle...so he could put another on his. He was moving his shop to Montana, and took my rifle with him. I've talked to him several times, phone and e-mail, and he says he paid me and to leave him alone.
The HiWall is also from an estate, but is a real shooter. It cost more, and isn't as fancy, but I'd rather use it than hang it.
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nevmavrick:
He was moving his shop to Montana, and took my rifle with him. I've talked to him several times, phone and e-mail, and he says he paid me and to leave him alone.

I don't mean to sidetrack this thread, but could you explain this a little more, Gene?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
Kenati
you have a PM..I hope
Gene

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
ReverendDan and Kenati,
Thanks to both of you for your posts. You confirmed much of what I have been thinking and have made my decision much easier.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote