THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Toying with rifle building idea...suggestions wanted

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toying with rifle building idea...suggestions wanted
 Login/Join

<redleg155>
posted
I have just acquired a minty 20x Unertl scope with posi-lock mounts that is begging for long range duty. I have a couple of rifles that could donate an action for the project; a short action Rem 700 and an 1909 mauser Argentino.

I'm looking for cartridge recommendations. I'm considering a l-o-n-g barrel 260 Rem on the M700 and maybe a 6.5-06 on the mauser...? I like the performance and selection of 6.5mm bullets. Other cartridges will, of course, be considered.

Weight of the finished product is targeted at around 18 to 20 pounds so that eliminates the real heavies.

The gun's primary function will be hitting tiny targets (varmints and paper - this is not a big game thing) at ranges of 500 to 800 yards, and maybe out to 1000.

Looking forward to responses...

redleg

posted Hide Post
My favourite 6 1/2 is the 6.5/06 Ackley. You would be looking at 108g Lapua Scenars at well over 3500 fps using H1000 or Vihtavouri N165/170. - and with a superb BC.

These do serious damage to varmints! case life is good, loading is easy, and its a far better bet than the 6.5/06 cooking cartridge, which really doesent have the guts in my humble opinion. Go for at LEAST 26in of barrel. Mines a Pac-nor 26 1/2 in. They may even do the polygon rifling in 6.5 by now. Real nice. My spin rate choice would be 1/9, so that longer pills could be used on occasion.

Posts: 22 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I played with the same idea, I went with the 6.5 x 57. Basically a 6mm Remington, opened to 6.5mm. ( or 257 Roberts opened up).

Sierra 107's and 120's make for some decent 600 yd shooters. The 140/142s take it to 1000 yds easily. Recoil is minimal and it competes with the 300 Mag long range rifles with a fraction of the recoil ( high BC of the 6.5 bullets).

Talking to several friends who had the 6.5 /06 route, their velocities were not that much more than the 57mm case, but took a fair amount of powder more to get there ( IMHO). That just translated to quicker throat erosion and more recoil to me.

I built mine of a Winchester Model 70 action, with a 28 inch Heavy Sporter Barrel. A couple of FBI snipers I met at the local range liked it so much, they got the info on who built it for me, and went and ordered 2 to be made for their personal use.

I am doing this once again, but am going with a Bull Barrel, in 30 inch. This time tho, the action is a Mauser and the caliber is going to be 6.5 x 55. Main reason, less forming the brass, from the 257 Roberts/ 6mm Rem that is involved in the 6.5 x 57.

Very balanced cartridge. Excellent ballistics and no more recoil than a 243/6mm Remington. Heavy barreled, its recoil is even less, even with full powered max loads.

Good luck.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
seafire,

I guess there would be no real performance differences between the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57 wildcat. I can't help but think the 257 Bob necking up .007" is that much work. Is the quality of 6.5x55 brass better?

I too am looking at a 1:8 twist long barrel; 29 or 30 inches.

Regards - redleg

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by redleg155:
I ...a short action Rem 700 and an 1909 mauser Argentino.

I'm looking for cartridge recommendations. Weight of the finished product is targeted at around 18 to 20 pounds so that eliminates the real heavies.

redleg

Either action would work though the Mauser has a shorter lock time, and will require more tuning and trigger work compared to the M700. A jewel on the M700 would be a plus in its favor.

The Mauser would work OK with a 6.5x284 with a fast 1:8 twist barrel. A 29" barrel will certainly take advantage of the additional case capacity of the 6.5x284 versus the 260. Also, the 6.5x284 is not yet to the rediculously overbore case capacity (like that of the .264 WM) for that particular bore diameter. You could chamber the M700 for the same cartridge but you may not be able to readily eject a loaded round due to excessive OAL. Likewise the 6.5x284 may not feed from the magazine for the same reason (depending on how far out you seat your bullets). If you do run with the 6.5x284 in the M700 I'd recommend getting a Sako-style ejector for your M700 bold. This will make dealing with extraction less tricky.

With VLD class bullets, the 6.5x284 is an excellent performer at 1000 yards.

Regards,
re5513

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/ B17G:

I built mine of a Winchester Model 70 action, with a 28 inch Heavy Sporter Barrel. A couple of FBI snipers I met at the local range liked it so much, they got the info on who built it for me, and went and ordered 2 to be made for their personal use.

I built my varmint rifle on a Pre-War model 70 in .260 with a Lilja 1/9 twist #7 pattern barrel.

My feeling about the caliber is that the 6.5-.308AI is just about perfect for what you want(excellent performance without punishing recoil.)

I used a McMillan prone stock which is very comfortable to shoot and has an adjustable cheek piece for large diameter scopes as well as three way butt plate system.

I elected not to go with the the AI version, but with 100 grain Sierra Varmint HP, I am limited to about 700 yards. With the 120 SMK or 129 Lapua, range capability would be increased. Chrono velociy with 100gr SVHP is 3270. SD=9.5 Load is H4895, F210M and Remington .260 brass.

In a 17 pound gun, weapon doesn't move on firing and recoil is non-existant.

Also important is use of good quality match grade trigger. I use the JEWEL two stage trigger set at 1 pound, and once you get use to it, you won't want anything else.

D. [Smile]

[ 10-09-2003, 20:22: Message edited by: DMCI* ]

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote