Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

224 Blitzkings are crap
 Login/Join

posted
I have been very dissappointed with Sierra's 55 grain "Blitzking" bullets.

Only able to get baseball sized 100 yard groups out of two accurized rifles, one 22x250 and one 22x6mm.

Same rifle, same load with Sierra Match King 52 grain HPBTs will produce a dime size group at 100yds.

Anyone else have this problem?

Would love to see some PDogs blow up, but you have to hit them first!

Neil

Posts: 4 | Location: Northwester Minnesota | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not have any trouble getting Blitzking Sierra's to shoot but I did not try the 55 grain version.

I had previously had a problem with 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I tried them when they first came out and could not get anything resembling a group out of them. I called Nosler and they asked what twist I had and at what elevation I was shooting.

I told them my rifles had 1 in 14 twists and that I was testing at about 300 feet elevation.
They promptly replied that the 55 grain BT's were not being stabilized. I needed a faster twist and/or to shoot at higher elevation. I did not believe them, but tried the 55 grain BT at 3500 feet elevation and they shot just fine.

If your guns have 1 n 14 twists they could easily shoot the 52 grain match bullet great but not stabilize any of the 55 grain plastic tipped offerings made by any manufacturer.

If you want to shoot a 55 grain spitzer boattail, try the plain old lead tipped Sierra. I have found them to be accurate in a number of 22-250 rifles.

If you want to shoot a plastic tipped bullet, try the 50 grain versions, I am sure they will shoot much better for you. Both my 22-250's shoot the 50 grain Nosler BT great.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had no problems shooting 55gr ballistic tips in my 22-250. I think I have tried the blitz kings but i don't recall the results. I will have to look at my notes & get back to you.
How far from the lands are you seating the bullets & what powder are you using?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Blitzkings, unlike the Matchking, are on the thin side and you could be driving them so hard they are starting to become unstable which will affect your groups.

Blitzkings much like VMax bullets are thin and have that great explosive affect on things but they also have a lower FPS ceiling than do Matchkings or Nosler Balistic Tips.

posted Hide Post
I am using 4895 in both calibers. In the 22x250 I am using 35 grains, which is at the top end. My 22x250 has a short 18 inch barrel.

In the 22x6mm I am using 38 grains which is 2 grains lower than my max load for that rifle. The rifle has a 24 inch Hart barrel.

I don't really know exactly how far off the lands they are. I matched factory ammo length in the 22x250 and both MKs and BKs were seated to the same depth in both cases.

The holes in the target tend to be a bit oblong with the Blitzkings.

Are the BKs primarily made for the 223?

Posts: 4 | Location: Northwester Minnesota | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh by the way, we are at about 1400 feet above sea level. Why does that matter?

I might try the lighter versions and see how it goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you could very well be nearing the "self destruct" point and basicly your getting the lead core hot enough that it's wanting to go liquid and the bullet gets a high speed wobble which is opening up your groups. Faster the twist the worse this condition will be.

If you are set on shooting 55's I would try Nosler Balistic Tips. They don't have the same explosive effect that the Blitzking does but they have a much tougher jacket.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
never have had a problem with bliztkings but i'd have to agree that you may be pushing them a bit fast or maybe the barrel twist is a bit much for their thin jackets

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I push the 50 gr Blitzkings pretty fast with a load of 39.5 gr of H380 out of my Rem 700 22-250 with a 1-14" twist, and have never had any problems with them. The last group I shot at 100 yards was a ragged one hole group, no flyers or keyholing at all.

What twist is your rifle? As was stated previously, perhaps your twist is too fast?

They are my go to bullet for turning little critters into red mist!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandlakeman:
Only able to get baseball sized 100 yard groups out of two accurized rifles, one 22x250 and one 22x6mm.
What are the groups at 50?

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandlakeman:
I have been very dissappointed with Sierra's 55 grain "Blitzking" bullets.

Same rifle, same load with Sierra Match King 52 grain HPBTs will produce a dime size group at 100yds.

Anyone else have this problem?

Would love to see some PDogs blow up, but you have to hit them first!

Neil

Do other 55g boat tailed bullet shoot well in your rifles?

I have a Rem VSF 22-250 that shows a distinct preference for 50 grain or under slugs.

Or I would check some obvious QC points on the bullets like the weights.. Weigh a randon sample of 25 bullets on an accurate scale...That may be it..

If there is no obvious individual rifle issues or variations in the bullets, send them back to Sierra with a polite note telling them the problem..

They made 'em, they need to know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Sierra bullets since the sixties in .224, 6m/m, .25, 6.5m/m and .30 cal.
I've never had anything but stellar performance from them.
I think your accuracy problems lie somewhere other than the bullets.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a side note, back in the day I had a 40x in 22/250, with 35.5gr. of IMR 4895 and a 50gr.Blitz(as they were called then) would print one hole groups and yes I know they weren't supposed to hold together at that velocity, but they did.
My go to deer rifle is a 700 Remington in 22/250AI that kills deer like lightning struck using 55gr. Sierra FB spitzers(#1360) @ 3,998, 1 in 14 twist and shoots in the low 2's

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ .223 that shoot's terrible groups with 55 grain bullets, all of em including 55 BlitzKings. It's favorite combo is 40 grain BlitzKings and Benchmark, shoots bug-holes with em.
Rifles like what they like, nothing wrong with BlitzKings as a bullet.
What twist are your barrels?

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote