THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Broke my rule!! Started early! 49 confirmed groundhogs!UPDATE!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broke my rule!! Started early! 49 confirmed groundhogs!UPDATE!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I broke my rule of not starting to seriously shoot groundhogs until Memorial Day weekend. Extenuating circumstances caused this. Had a farmer friend who is a "seasonal dairyman" and milks around 200 cows and utilizes grazing and hay for his forages. He has 600+ acres of hay ground. Groundhogs are a problem for him. It was either "shoot any you see or I will use poison bombs in their dens!"..........so Bobby Brown and myself showed up at his place. I have never seen such an infestation of groundhogs anywhere I have ever hunted them. We shot 49 groundhogs over a day and a half on the place! And there is still another 200 acre section we haven't been on. The shots were from 40 yards to 650 yards. The 17 Fireball did well. On the next trip I will take the 204 and 6mm for stuff over 400 yards. Bobby used a 243 for some of the long ones. Not like me to shoot this early but as I said, this was extenuating circumstances. GHD
I had to be in the same area for work today so I met up with Bobby Brown and we went back to this farm for 3-4 hours............another 19 confirmed kills! We will let it rest now until later in the year. The farmer was impressed at ridding his pastures of that many groundhogs in short order. We are welcome to come back to his place anytime. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThat wasn't near Penhook was it? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I'm gaining on you Charlie! I shot 1 the other day out of the Christmas trees. I might catch ya' in about Roll Eyes 300 years.

Sounds like you had a memorable time; good job.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bartshe, There aren't that many groundhogs left in the Penhook area! It wasn't even in the same county. Big Grin Louis, You ought to have a few groundhogs in some counties close to you I would think. You ever try Surry County? I see a fair number when I pass through that area.GHD

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Charlie, There's plenty of hogs right here. At times I can sit in the edge of my yard and kill several at a time when you can see'em in the christmas trees. My 6 yr old can kill the ones that happen in the yard. I usually kill 25-50 just messing around the local farms in a year. Have had a few 10 hog days but I rarely get to hunt more than an hour at a time. Sounds like you found a honey hole!

Leave some for seed!
Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Louis, What county are you in?? The more of my working time I spend, it seems the more I'm in NC!! We'll meet up and "rid the Christmas Tree farms" of vermin if you want too!! I'll just sit back and watch (with camera and video) while you use the "GHD" rifles to rid the world of pesky vermin! GHD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charley,

Kudos on the Chuck kills!!! tu2

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey GHD, Man, that sure is a fine Hunt! Congratulations.

Have you ever tried BBQing a Ground Hog?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HC, I never BBQ'd a groundhog but have parboiled them(actually used a pressure cooker for tenderization) and then rolled in flour and fried same as you would a rabbit. Very good! Similar in taste to rabbit. GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo(Laughing at myself!) The first one I tried to BBQ, many MANY years ago, went straight onto the grill - no parboil. rotflmo Couldn't get my teeth to bite through it at all. Would have made excellent shoe soles. The entire family got (still get) a bunch of grins Big Grin about that fiasco.

Completely agree that Parboiling is needed, perhaps mandatory if a person plans to actually eat one.

Until a person skins one out, it is difficult to imagine how Red and nice the clover and grass fed meat is.

Congratulations again!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
I'm gaining on you Charlie! I shot 1 the other day out of the Christmas trees. I might catch ya' in about Roll Eyes 300 years....
jumping

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flippy, Isee the humor in your post but really think you don't fully understand Louis's reply. Down here in NC and SW VA, the Christmas Tree industry is BIG!! The trees are planted into hilly country and generally "up and down" the hills. Usually about 10 feet of lane between rows of trees. That lane is usually covered(planted) with fescue or orchardgrass. I can picture in my mind old Louis sitting on the frontporch, in a rocking chair, with a suitable varmint rifle closeby, sipping on a cold adult beverage and scanning the hillside for possible targets. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin GHD

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
WHO you calling old Charlie? Naw, I was working in the trees and at quiting time I jumped in the truck and started home, topped a hill and spied a hog down in the hollar running for the edge of some windrowed brush. He stopped just shy of his hole so I introduced him to my 204. Bout 200 yds. He didn't have a chance.

I keep the 204 and 17 along with a couple of sidearms (41 and 22) for just instances in the truck at all times. I just love working out in the country where I get to shoot stuff just about every day.

I, like Charlie, usually don't kill any in the pastures or hay fields until the young are old enough to fend for themselves but the ones in the Christmas trees are goners if I get a chance. They destroy alot of trees digging holes and they eat on the trees too.

Oh yeah my beverage of choice would be a Pepsi or Mnt. Dew.

You were pretty close any way Charlie cause there is always a varmint rifle handy.

God Bless, Louis