Find
Notify
Tools

Shot a groundhog today
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
Center punched it with the 6.5x284 at about 200 yards from my basement doorway. Finished it with the 22 after I walked out there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think maybe you could use a little more gun! Big Grin

Nice Shootin'

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
I think maybe you could use a little more gun! Big Grin

Nice Shootin'

Hip

The 6.5x284 sits up on the workbench by the basement door to the outside. My backyard goes 500 yards to the fence line so it's there for longer range coyote and groundhogs.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got things set up pretty nice! Smiler

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Yep, Kentucky is so much better than California.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is cool! I see the small road frontage----probably holds the taxes down! Very Nice!

Hip

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Yep, Kentucky is so much better than California.

That's one hella unfair comparison, anything is better than Cali Big Grin Been reading some stuff on Cali's firearms laws at a gun blog and it sounds absolutely horrid(at least ones they are trying to force rn).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5/.284 is the perfect groundhog/everything gun. I have it in a XP-100 handgun. Killed hundreds of groundhogs, 400+ deer out to 565, #2 handgun Cape Kudu in Africa, mule deer, Coues, blacktail. Shot it so much that after 2200 rounds the barrel looked like a shot gun bore. Got a new barrel. Shooting it a little less!

Larry Rogers

Posts: 249 | Location: eastern WV | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I built this rifle in 2004 and it's on it's third barrel, since I used to shoot monthly 1,000 yard matches until I moved here last year.

I've shot a couple of antelope and deer with it but it's been my full time long range coyote and varmint gun. My personal bests are coyote at 732 yards and prairie dog at 799 yards.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Frank !!!

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Frank, you are surely blessed to have that property and home and the ability to shoot on your own land.
I was just reading on a muzzleloading forum that groundhog hide is noted for its extreme strength and toughness.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote