New
Find
Notify
Tools

MUZZLE JUMP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Remington LH 700 VSF in 22-250. I am going to rebarrel it to a 1in8 twist for the 75 grain V-Max. I want to be able to see impact's, but I prefer not to put a brake on the rifle. Weight is not an issue. I will only shoot the rifle from a fixed position. I would also like to achieve 3300 fps. Is there a particular length and contour barrel that will allow me to achieve this?? Thanks, Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Practically speaking, I doubt that you can achieve the no muzzle jump goal with a 22-250.

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HEAD0001:
I bought a Remington LH 700 VSF in 22-250. I am going to rebarrel it to a 1in8 twist for the 75 grain V-Max. I want to be able to see impact's, but I prefer not to put a brake on the rifle. Weight is not an issue. I will only shoot the rifle from a fixed position. I would also like to achieve 3300 fps. Is there a particular length and contour barrel that will allow me to achieve this?? Thanks, Tom.

Tom,

My 81 year old father is shooting a custom 243 that looks very much like the rifle below. It has a 27 inch barrel, 1.25 inches O.D. He is shooting the 70 gr. TNT a little over 3400. He has a 6-14 scope on it, and is shooting the scope at full power. He shoots it with his left hand putting a little down pressure on the forend. He is just able to see the impact when pd shooting. If he would really hang on to the forend, he could go up in scope power, but not much.

In my experience, a 75 gr. bullet is about the "practical" limit for seeing impacts without having to resort to a vise like grip on even a heavy rifle.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got a 22/250AI that i made to shoot the 80 gr sierras. its a heavy 26" barrel and i don't think there's anyway to see impact. those 80 gr bullets even give a felt recoil. fun to shoot though got a trajectory like a streched rubber band. if you want to see impact go to a 204 - that work well

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well, I am copying a gun I saw a while ago...It was in 220 Swift, and you were able to see your impact within a 4 x 16 scope with a 50 mm objective ( Burris)...

It was on a Mauser Action.. the barrel was 1.25 inch diameter and 31 inches long... the stock had a 3.5 inch beavertail forearm.. and the total outfit weighed about 20 lbs or so...

Mine is being chambered in 6mm Remington instead... with a fast twist...1 in 7...

Don't know if you want to go that extreme, but it should do what you are asking it to do...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only factory rifle I've been able to see impacts with is the Savage Long Range Precision Varmint, right bolt left port, chambered in .204 Ruger.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3300 with a regular .22/250 and a 75 grain bullet? I wonder. Maybe but top pressure and long barrel. Might want to consider the .22/250 IMP (Ackley or other) which Mr. Ackley said equalled the .220 Swift for his...

#1). Minimizing recoil jump, often is suggested the "straight line" stock, low mounted scope, etc. If the gun comes back into your shoulder, it jumps less or seems so. If you have a high mounted scope and your head up, everything bobbles more and more easily.

#2). Since, you say, weight is not a consideration, there are all the shotgun recoil reducers. They don't reduce recoil, but adding "mass" as the scientists say, "weight" to the rest of us, they slow and distribute the push of recoil. Some are full of mercury, used to be...?? Some are lead in a tube on a spring. Anyway, fitting one into butt and/or (two)into the forend will also contribute to your seeing longer and the gun "rising" less and less quickly... You may need to lift weights to get it to the bench, but it will be steady...Smilerluck

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
The only factory rifle I've been able to see impacts with is the Savage Long Range Precision Varmint, right bolt left port, chambered in .204 Ruger.

I do it all the time in 223s, with Blue Dot loads!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rock River Varminter with a 20 inch heavy barrel. I can see impact's with that rig. I just want something heavier. I watch BR guys shoot the 6.5 X 284, and they see impact's. Granted their rifle is heavy and usually ported. I do not want to port the rifle, but I will if I have to. I do not mind going 28 or 30 inches in barrel length. As I said I will hunt with the rifle from a fixed position.

I am trying to get all the suggestions I can get. I want to get it right this time. I thought the 22-250 with the 75 grain pill would be the ultimate trade off. Tom.

WEST BY GOD VIRGINIA

Posts: 248 | Location: RIVESVILLE, WV | Registered: 20 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
HEAD0001

Would you consider a muzzle lift compensator? It wouldn't be a muzzle brake, which blasts everybody's ears out but would direct a lot of the blast upward and away from you. Anyway, you have given me an idea to control the muzzle lift on my 303 Brit. I already have a muzzle blast deflector on it. I will simply mill a vent on top! Well, actually, two vents, side by side, nearly on top so as not obscure my vision with the 'pillar' of smoke and flame.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Dtech

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
So there you have it! Very similar to what I have in mind. Mine does not blend with the barrel. It looks like the logo barrel on this page. Dtech are doing a single row of ports almost directly in the line of sight. I thought of two rows just a few degrees either side of the line of sight.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get the 75g A-MAX to 3,300 fps easily in a .22-250 with a 26" barrel and around 36.5 to 37g of H4350. I'm getting the 75g A-MAX to 3,400+ out of my LRPV, but it groups best at around 3,300.

The LRPV is not a lightweight, but there is no way I can see impacts. Not even close. maybe if I added 10 lbs to the gun and strapped it down, but I don't want to do that.

.204 Ruger, .221 Fireball, or maybe a .223 are better cartridges if the goal is to see the hits.

Fitch

Posts: 153 | Location: Carlisle, PA | Registered: 04 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lots of good advise heres my 2 cents worth..
go to the library and check out ..
a varmint hunters odyssey by steve hanson.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see hits with my 22-250. They are all far enough away that I have time after recoil to get back on the prairie dog to see the hit and yes, misses as well.

Any closer than 500 yards and the bullet just gets there too quick for me see it.

Your best chance is to buy a long, heavy barrel, heavier than a varmint contour, we are talking straight bull at about 28-30". Then drill some holes in your stock and foreend and start filling with lead, no. 7 1/2 lead shot mixed with two part epoxy will work as well. I filled up my Savage 308 stock and forend with that and got the rifle up to 20 lbs.