THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Modern rifle with a "set" trigger

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern rifle with a "set" trigger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an older Thompson Center .50 cal muzzle loader. It has two triggers. If you pull the front trigger without pulling the set trigger, it breaks at 5.5 lbs. If you use the set trigger, i.e. pull the back trigger first then front trigger, it has a clean break at 8 oz.

Is there a modern rifle made that has a set trigger? Preferably one with a caliber of .250 or less.

Having a single trigger set up at only 8 oz would be a bit scarry.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Most of the cz models have set triggers ,i use mie in 308 for daily predator control at my farm .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The CZ uses a single-set trigger which you first push forward to set, then pull normally (with a much reduced weight of pull.)

Lots of European Mausers were available with double set triggers, and I have a couple of Brno .22 Hornets with double set triggers. They ARE the cat's whiskers! Nothing quite compares to the joy of using a good set trigger in the varmint fields. I've also got a German-made Krico .222 Magnum on the way which has a set trigger. The Krico system functions the same way as the Brno set triggers, but is constructed in a different way. I'm eager to find out how well it works.

I'm not sure why American manufacturers never adopted the set trigger, other than it not being "conventional" with American hunters, and being somewhat more expensive to make.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym sr21, Sauer 202 and many Sako's all have set triggers that work by pushing trigger blade forward to set.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I have found one that looks like me Cool It also gets past the .223/5.56 issue, if it is an issue at all.

I've got to figure out the scope mounts. Looks like Weaver type mounts. I have Leupold mounts on my other bolt guns. They are expensive and a pain to install but seem very stable.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/cat...27+American+.223+Rem

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
Not Weaver.

They have a special set of dovetails milled in the top of the action, unless the American model has changed drastically.

You need special rings / mounts that fit on those dovetails ....

Here are some pics with examples

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steyr makes a good set trigger.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a modern rifle made that has a set trigger?

.... Sauer, Heym, Blaser (yes, they made a single set trigger for the R93, it was an option), many Mausers, Krico, Anschutz, Walther, Merkel, Krieghoff, Heym-Rugers, Steyr, Brno, CZ, well in Europe the list is almost endless.

Most Drillings have a set trigger for the rifle (and right shotgun) barrel.

IMO once you've been there you'll never go back .....

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I'm not sure why American manufacturers never adopted the set trigger, other than it not being "conventional" with American hunters, and being somewhat more expensive to make.

It's called litigation.......make something idiot proof, and some trial lawyer will come up with an "improved"
idiot. Set triggers do not qualify for being idiot proof.

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Steyr rifles with the set triggers. I used a 308 SSG as a work gun for several years, and hunted with a couple of other 308's and a 7mm Mag. I really liked the 2 trigger set trigger system on them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako Varmint that has a set trigger. It is a single trigger you push forward to set. It then fires around 10 ounces. Sako offers this option on most of their rifles. I have a Bavarian model 85 in 308 that has it also.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savage accutrigger is just a modified form of a set trigger.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote