Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hoppe's Tornado Brush?
 Login/Join

posted
Spiral stainless steel bore brush - what's the word on this ... good or bad?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't care for them. If you do choose to use one, DON'T use it in a stainless barrel. In any event, I don't think steel on steel is a very good idea, especially running it back and forth through a barrel. Best to use copper for powder fouling, and nylon for copper removers. I think if you ask any barrelmaker, they will say they love them, they create a market with the barrels they mess up. Just my opinion, though, and I have been wrong before, once or twice.

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Real simple.... DON'T USE IT!!

You're just asking for a ruined barrel with those things. Much too "harsh" to be running down a rifled bore.

Stick with bronze, or better yet, nylon brushes. Your barrel will thank you.

posted Hide Post
Thanks you two, much appreciated!

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
The only, and I mean only thing the stainless looped brushes are good for is removing plastic buildup from shotguns...like pumps, autos, etc. [Frown]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SS Tornado brusshes, so far as I know, do not exist. My Tornady brushes are several years old.
I took the riflings out of a SS Ruger MK-II .22LR pistol with a Stainless Steel Brush. I would not use any stainless brush. I am considering MYLON brushes.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

<Ben H>
posted
Buy a can of WIPE-OUT and you will be amazed at how this stuff works.

Good Shooting,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the tornado brush to clean revolver cylinders, and not often.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What's "Wipe Out" Ben? (Besides an old song?) [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
QM, WipeOut is similar to shaving cream that you spray into the barrel. It's not harsh at all to the barrel and you can leave it in overnight if you want. The stuff is great! It completely strips everything out of your barrel and is the easiest way to clean it. You'll be amazed how much copper it pulls out the first time you use it, even after you have already cleaned it. It's a little expensive (about $12 a can) but last quite a while.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
I first heard about Wipe-Out here on the forum sometime last year. The first time you use it let it stay in the barrel for 24 hrs. If you do a search for Wipe Out on this forum you will get lots of feedback.

Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tornados are appropriate for CHROMED shotgun barrels, and perhaps other shotgun tubes that are steel shot rated.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them on occasion to remove severe leading from handgun barrels, and I see no scratches or damage to my rifling. I would not use them regularly. There are no sharp edges to them, and I would imagine that the fine wire loops will bend before damaging the lands. Again, if you used them a lot and scrubbed hard and vigorously, I imagine you could damage your bore - just like shooting steel jacketed slugs. I also would bet that Hoppes uses a soft steel to make them. Just my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I understand. Most of us know that the steel in stainless brushes will scratch the holy bejeebers out of our barrels. Since we do, the product is not likely to break any sales records. There must be more to it than this. Maybe they're special purpose products, and we don't know what as of now. It must be more than merely a "mystery brush," but what?
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Ben H and glen asher are both on to something. WipeOut is a brushless system. No brushes(If I got to, I try to use nylon), no brushing repeatedly twice, ten,or a hundred times back and forth. No repeated roddings back and forth with numerous patches, mops, jags, or whatever. WipeOut gives a clean bore, less elbow work, less mechanical abrasion, what could be better? You pick, you choose, find the system that you want to use which you think would serve you best.

Posts: 267 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 01 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lonniemike,

I just ordered a can of Wipe Out from Midway.

Sounds great!

Wipe Out Web Page