New
Find
Notify
Tools

VARMINT RIFLE, QUESTION'S
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I am considering a 22-250 or a 243 cartridge in a cz varminter. Any of you fellas have any experiance with this gun/ caliber combo. Also any help as to factory ammo,and bullet selection would be of help too. Just trying to minamize pelt damage.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If you are saving fur niether of these are as friendly as several other choices.

I have a fav .223 load for the mini-14 that rarely exits, and one for a contender that won't. I've no experience with a .204, Tactical 20, but the .17 Rem also did well for a friend of ours.

Of these two I'd pick the .22-250 ( I still use), and use bullets that are pretty frangible but will stay together. Blitz, TNT, Hornady spsx, Sierra & Speer fbhp with large opening( there are a couple different ones) all come to mind. The FMJ was not useful in my experience. Also as one of the other threads here suggests, try a shotgun with larger shot.

You could wind up with a llooonnnngggg thread over this one! Smiler Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey thank's Big Nate, I have talked to a couple of men who, who I think don't really care about pelt damage. One of them shoot's a 204 he likes it but I don't think it takes alot to impress him, and I don't think he's killed that many 'yotes .The other is strickly against 22 centerfires for coyote hunting. I think he uses a 6mm/284 and a 25/06. I have seen a fiew of his kill's and you could definantly see through them. This man's killed ton's of coyote's in kansas and texas. There are more long shot's possible here than short one's. I have hunted fur with a 10 ga shotgun #4 buck and it is deadly. But as you know limited on range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
kinda depends on what varmits you're shooting at. if coyotes are the main game I'd lean very strongly towards the 243, but if PD's are on the table, then a 243 is going to give you to much concussion to be comfortable with shooting hundreds of rounds per day. Bottom line is you need more guns Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
kinda depends on what varmits you're shooting at. if coyotes are the main game I'd lean very strongly towards the 243, but if PD's are on the table, then a 243 is going to give you to much concussion to be comfortable with shooting hundreds of rounds per day. Bottom line is you need more guns Big Grin

Nope, just Savages and learn all about the ease of switch barrels...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
I'd lean very strongly towards the 243..... Bottom line is you need more guns Big Grin

Have you been able to save hides using the .243W? I found a load for the Roberts that wasn't bad so I suppose the .243W has one to. I've seen it used by my uncle but everything he tried made a mess.

And I agree, this is a perfect excuse to accumulate! Big Grin

Seafire: Tell me a little about barrel swapping with the Savages. I'm having a hard time liking them but I'm willing to be open minded,...at least a little. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm having a hard time liking them but I'm willing to be open minded,...at least a little. Nate

They look a lot better from behind the scope; all you can see from there is the little tiny groups! stir

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 907 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi Max,I have 2 CZ rifles a .22LR varmint and a 527 Varmint in .222 fantastic rifles and could'nt recomend a better gun for the money. my mate has a 550 varmint in .308 fantastic gun! as for bullets I use 50gr Vmax in my .222 for foxs and hardly ever get exit wounds (with well placed chest shots) I would go for a 550 varmint lamiate in .243 as you can choose from 55gr to 105gr heads.As for ammo reloading is the only anwser! ( but winchester supream is'nt bad)

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 243 will do Ok on fur with a Nosler Partition. You will get an exit hole but not a big one,easy to sew up. I use a 22-250 with the 52 gr. Speer HP with the big hole and usually do not get an exit. Push as fast as you can.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot both. My .243 pushing 58 gr. V-Max's at 3800 fps is a varmint killer, and usually doesn't leave exit holes on coyotes.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seafire: Tell me a little about barrel swapping with the Savages. I'm having a hard time liking them but I'm willing to be open minded,...at least a little. Nate

Nate,

Check out www.savageshooters.com

and especially www.sharpshootersupply.com
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best I have found on saving fur is the caliber known as the Remington .222, I think CZ chambers this caliber. It is easy to reload (cheap to shoot) and will kill coyotes out to 300 yards with no problems. I use a 60 grain Hornady bullet going 3100fps.

I myself use a 6mm Remington on coyotes and it is good to go for 400 yards on yotes. Not the best P-Dog killer for an all day hunt but works well and won't erode out the throat like a 22-250 will later. I also use a 25-06 but that is a dual purpose caliber for varmints/predators and deer. TONK

Posts: 60 | Location: Columbia, MO. | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I get no exit on coyotes using 50 grain Barnes VLC in 22-250 at 3900 fps. The VLC was the coated version of their Varminator.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the advice and knowledge of gun's and load's that have worked well for people. I think Butchloc is right when he wrote I needed more gun's. I think I will start out with a cz varminter in a 243. Coyote's will be my primary prey. I just hate shooting a animal and blowing a hell of a hole in it. There's enough work skinning and streching them as it is. So I will try some of the load's you folk's have suggested. I have a old "Bear C" reloading press, maybe I should bolt it down to the table and start reloading again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A fellow AR member Waffen and I both have CZ 550 Varmint laminates in 22-250. Both of them are excellent shooters. So far THE powder for both of them has been RL10x and the best bullets we've used so far were 52 gr. Sierra MK's, and 52 gr. Shilen Microjackets. The Shilen's especially are one-holers.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher, I will also wright your info down about the powder and bullet's. If the truth be known I will probley end up buying a 22-250 also in a CZ. The only thing that suck's is CZ doesan't chamber there varminter/ laminate in 243. I will have to buy the "american version", as far as I know.

posted Hide Post
I have shot PDS w 243 and 22-250. The really
come apart w 243. Much more so than 22-250
using same weight bullet in both-55gr. I do
begin to notice recoil of 243 after 100 rds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a 70 gr Nosler BT @ 3800fps in my 243 AI. You need to hit in the middle of the chest cavity though for minimun pelt damage (never had an exit hole). In the gut, there is a very large hole.

I also use 50 gr Nosler BT in my 22-250 AI. Same placement for it as well, although I have had splash damage on one coyote when it hit a rib.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
17 Rem and 30gr kindler golds. Like the gangstas say "Put a bitch to sleep". 20gr V-max in 10lb fox will have a caliber size hole going in and nothing coming out. Looks like they die of natural causes. I know I will get flamed but fur hunting was what the 17Rem was put on earth for. Out to 300yards with the right bullet. 22-250 with a 53 grain Hornady match bullet if you reload does little fur damge on woodchucks. Would give good penatration and be accurate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 6mm rem. in the past. It will easily dispatch coys out to 350,400yds.
My favoite now a days is the 22-250. I shoot a 50gr hornady @ 3900fps. on occasion it will give you an exit hole about the size of a quarter.Bullet placement is key.

"If winning isn't important? WHY keep score..."

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote