New
Find
Notify
Tools

trigger for m77 .204
 Login/Join

Picture of slopjock
posted
I've got a ruger m77 mark 2, in .204 and i'm looking to put a new trigger on it, which seems to be the only weak spot on the gun so far. I've heard a lot of good things about the timney, but am also looking at the rifle basix. Does anybody have any experience with this trigger for the m77, and what do you think of it?

thanks
slopjock

One of Us
posted Hide Post
before you go out and spend a bunchof money on a new trigger try this: On the ruger 77 the weight of pull is easily changed by simply changing the spring to a lighter one. It is a common diameter size so just take out the existing spring, go down to the hardware store & pick up a couple of lighter springs & try the. Ony caution I know of is to beep the length the same or even a bit longer to make sure the tension against the sear remains firm. Believe it or not it'll take longer to get the barreled action out of the stock than to do the trigger job. If you want now would also be the time to smooth out the bearing surfaces a bit. This won't get rid of the creep etc. but I think you will like the results

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slopjock: My Ruger 77 V/T in caliber 204 Ruger caliber was just brought online in late August of this year. I was personally impressed with the factory trigger on this model! It was without final take up creep and was very crisp to break at 4 pounds 0 ounces! I would have preferred a slightly lighter trigger pull but the groups I am shooting with both kinds of factory ammo and my only handload made so far are turning out REALLY well! I am not going to change anything on this Rifle. Whereas my Remington 700 VLS in caliber 204 Ruger that was brought on line in early August had a crisp but unusable 8 pounds+ (my trigger scale quits measuring at 8 pounds!) trigger pull. And I had to do a trigger job on that one! It is now set at 3 pounds 0 ounces as I recall. It also shoots extremely well.
Having said these things I am wondering which model Ruger you have? Is it the heavy barrel stainless model like mine or another model? And how does it shoot with the trigger it has? If its shooting well enough as is then maybe just a trigger adjustment (honing etc) can solve your consternation about the factory trigger.
I have a friend that also owns the Ruger 77 V/T in 204 Ruger and he is having very pleasing results also with the factory trigger.
Good luck with the new Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of slopjock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

Varmitguy: my m77 in .204 is the ultra light model, it has a synthetic stock with the short ss barrel. dont have a trigger scale, but i dont like the pull on it nearly as well as my m77 in .243, but that is also the heavy barreled target model, with the very nice target trigger. for the .204, the pull weight isnt bad, but there is defenitely some creep in it. not bad, but enought that i would like to eliminate it. I just like the pull on the target model so well, that i wanted to get a lighter, crisper pull on my .204 as well

I'm starting to reload for the .204 tonight. I've got some 2230 and varget to try, and i'm thinking about picking up some win 748 and possibly some H4895 as well. Really want to try to find the sweet powder to go along with the 32 gr. vmax's

thanks for all the help
slopjock

posted Hide Post
Slopjock,
I purchased a M77 CR in .243 for my son and the first thing I did to it was replace he trigger with a Timney. The sear engagment is adjustable to remove the creep. I used the original trigger return spring and set the pull weight to 2lbs and it breaks like a glass rod! You wont go wrong with the Timney.

Posts: 7 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 14 December 2004Reply With Quote