THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    First blood for the 17 fireball

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First blood for the 17 fireball
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I purchased a model 7 remington predator in 17 fireball earlier this year, but have not had the opportunity to “bloody†it until this weekend.
I planned on meeting a couple of my buds up at our lease in Concan Texas. I got there about 6:30 PM last Friday night, unloaded my 4 wheeler and grabbed the predator and my fx3 caller and made a bee line for an area that I had seen a fox in a couple of months before.
This area had been cleared about two years ago and has numerous large brush piles. I have set up a box blind in this area and I put all my gear in the blind and set the call up against the base of a scrub oak about thirty yards out. I got set up and started calling about 7:55 pm. Started out with a jackrabbit distress call.
First fox came in about two minutes into my first calling sequence. I was looking straight ahead and saw him out of the corner of my eye directly to my right about 15 yds. out. He was so intent on the call I was able to pick my rifle up, snick off the safety and he never heard or noticed me. I lined up the shot and waited till he stopped and nailed him.
Second fox came in about 5 minutes later. Nailed him at about 40 yds. He was the only one of the four that did not drop at the shot. He ran about 20 yds, then crumpled. Boy was I jazzed. I had only been calling about 10 minutes and had shot two fox. Until this stand I had never shot more than two fox at any one stand.
I changed over to a “waning jack call and called for about 5 more minutes when I saw a fox approaching the second fox that I had shot. It came up, sniffed at his dead cousin and took off. I took a running shot but missed.
It was starting to get dark rapidly about this time and having fired three shots I thought about calling it a night, but I decided I would call till dead dark. A couple of minutes later another fox came in. I shot him at +/- 50 yds.
Wow three fox in about 20 minutes. I said to myself, what the heck, it wouldn’t hurt to keep on calling, so I did . About 10 minutes later I shot my fourth fox of the evening. At this point I said enough was enough as it was getting almost to dark to see the crosshairs and I did not have a varmint light with me.
This was the best luck I’ve had to date. Got to draw first blood with the seventeen fireball and take four fox in 35 minutes of calling. Ended up, we also shot three hogs, 4 coons and a couple of jacks Friday and Saturday night. Can’t wait to go again.
GWB

B’rer coon was so distraught at the loss of his fellow vermin that he had to drown his sorrows. I know what you’re thinkin’, “Just like a coon, couldn’t handle his liquor.â€, but he actually succumbed to lead poisoning (thanks to a varmint light and a 20 gr 17 caliber bullet.)

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
NICE GOING!

Heck, taking 4 fox makes an entire calling career for some folks. Doing so in 35 minutes must have been quite the rush...

Of course, it's really not fair that you liquored-up the raccoon before hunting him... Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
That's outstanding, where I currently reside in Maine foxes have to be taken during the furbearing season, but I still admire your set up.

I am planning a Febuary 2009 West Texas hunt similar to yours but with spotlights. I have contacted a few outfitters, but don't have anything booked yet. Your success is giving me a lot of excitement good job!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All "greys"?? We don't see many Grey foxes here anymore. We have the reds but greys are rare. I have been known to "pass" on a grey before because we just don't have many of them. I've even been know to "pass" on a groundhog or two due to the decimation of the species in these parts! TOO MANY PEOPLE!! Not enough varmints! Good shooting and congrats on a good rifle!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Charlie-

The grays are the predominant fox species in much of Texas, although certain areas do have nice concentrations of the red reynards. Nonetheless, I have yet to see a red within 100 mile radius of where I live. But the grays are quite plentiful and have done quite well in many areas of the hill country as sheep and goat ranchers have kept the pressure on the coyotes. When coyote numbers go down, fox populations go up.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Can't think of a better way to break in a new rifle.

Congrats!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quadruple fast-action fox, four raccoons, triple hogs and jacks x2... what fun?! thumb