New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy bullets in 22-250
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Tikka in 22-250. What is the heaviest bullet that will shoot accurately with a 1/14 twist barrel?
Thanks.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 60 grainers should work fine. You'll just have to try them and see. If u're looking for the highest BC bullet that'll shoot in it, it'd probably be the 52 JLK LD bullet with a BC of .302. Got a buddy of mine that's hitting 500 + yds. with it just fine out of a Cooper 14 twist 22-250. External ballistics beats everything else by a wide margin.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
I have tried 60gr's in my 1/14 and they did okay. I have had very good luck with 55gr. I use Vmax and Btip.

Posts: 86 | Location: Idaho, Boise. | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish some of these companies had a faster twist available. I bought a Savage 250 rather than a Kimber simply for the faster twist.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be surprised if the 60s will shoot ok (unless they are a particularly short bullet). None of the 22/250s I've been involved with would shoot anything heavier than a 55. My own 22/250 won't even shoot the 55s (they don't keyhole, but are hideously inaccurate), but it shoots very nice groups with the 40s through 52s.

At the moment I'm doing the planning on rebarreling it so that it can shoot the heavy bullets. Thinking of a 1:9. That will get me the 68/69 gr bullets, and hopefully the 75 Amax.

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
I'm using H414 and VVN140 and Rem 7 1/2 primers with Vmax and Btips. The shoot under 1/2 moa all day long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As the others have already told you, the 60 grain bullets of conventional design should shoot fine. That being things like the 60 grain Hornady hollow point, etc.

However, do not be surprised if some of the 55 grain plastic tipped bullets do not shoot for beans!! I have had a hard time getting any of the 55 grain plastic tipped bullets to shoot well in 1 in 14 inch twists except for the 55 grain Hornady V-Max.

Almost every 22-250 that I ever tested that had a 1 in 14 inch twist actually shot 50 grain bullets the very best.

I have spoken with the folks at Sierra and Nosler and they readily admit to hearing lots of complaints from folks who cannot get their 55 grain plastic tipped bullets to shoot.

It really depends on the barrel and where you are shooting. Nosler 55 grain BT's in my 22-250 would not shoot for shit here in CA. (about 300 feet in elevation) But, after talking to Nosler I tried them in South Dakota at about 3500 feet elevation and they shot much better.

You will just have to test your barrel. Again, I have had great success with the 55 grain Hornady V-Max in 22-250 rifles with 1 in 14 inch twists.

Good luck, R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bm-3
posted Hide Post
The 55gr bullets like to be pughed in 1/14 twist. Here in Idaho we have been shooting them from 1100 to 5000 feet above sea level and have no trouble with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen, for all the good info.
I now have a place to start thanks to you.
Regards.

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just tried out 55 grain Nosler BT and the 55 grain V-max and both were fairly accurate when pushed at the max. Although the v-max was actually more accurate shooting avg of .75 - 1" groups. It's a good idea to try other lighter weights and see if it shoots any better which I will do trying out the 50 grain v-max.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a '250 with a 14 twist. The various 50 gr bullets I tried all shot good, but the 52 gr JLK shoots best - usually around 3/8" - and has the highest BC of bullets suggested for this twist rate. At 650 yds they drop a full 2 moa less than the Nosler 50 gr BT does from my rifle.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the 60 gr vmax in my 22-250 (rem 700 VLS with 1:14" twist) with some success. I can't remember the exact loads but i just threw them together out of curiosity to see if they would keyhole...they turned in groups about 1/2" at 100 yards for 3 shots. If i wasn't already shooting the 55gr sierra BK with superb accuracy out of the thing, i would mess around with those 60gr bullets. I had no problems with them and was pushin them on pretty fast if i remember correctly.
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck shooting the 60 grain Hornady's and the 60 grain Sierra HP out of my ruger Sporter weight 22/250. I stick with 52 to 55 grain bullets out of the heavy barreled VT 22/250 Ruger.

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
The most accurate rifle/load combo I ever shot was a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle (pencil-thin barrel) in .22-250 loaded with 70 gr. Speer semi-spitzers ahead of enough H-414 to give about 3700 fps.

This combination is good for .4" ANY time. I have shot several sub-.3" groups in a row, and once shot 3 five-shot groups in a row of under .25" .

The semi-spitzers are shorter than bullets with longer ogives, and don't require as fast a twist.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote