THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Ticks are already out here in NC.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ticks are already out here in NC.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Didn't really know where to post this so I'll put it here. I went to a favorite groundhog honey hole this weekend. It is a huge ravine that is choked with kudzu. I walked in there to retrieve the victims and on the way out found 2 ticks crawling up my legs. You turkey hunters need to take note.

God I hate those blood suckers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont miss those damn things,when I left Camp Lejune in 62 I had scars that didnt go away for months.I rember once we came in from the boonies after being out for a couple of weeks and this one fair skinned Italian kid was covered with them when we got in the showers.I have seen the ground in some of those pine thickets that were crawling with hundreds of them.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Don't worry too much about ticks. They will crawl about for about eight hours when they first get on you. Then they will start to bite and embed. It takes another 8 hours for bodily fluids to be exchanged(tick's saliva, your blood). That is lots of time to do a thouough inspection for generally loose ticks and destroy them. A little antibiotic salve is in order if one embeds for a little while. If you get a large red spot where you pulled one off go to a doctor. If you forget all this, you will have a problem in time. Don't pile your outdoor clothing when you come in where ticks can leave to find someone totally unaware to bite.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think they even died off this winter even up here in PA.

I was hulling some table scraps out to the pig pen the other night and pickup up 3 of them. In only 100ft of walking..

If you have to track your animal, you aren't using a big enuff gun.

Posts: 31 | Location: Brookville, PA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't worry too much about ticks any more since I started using Permethin on my camos, it kills ticks within a few minutes of them walking on treated clothing. The first time I used it several years ago, I deliberatley walked thru a patch of low brush, I picked up 5 of the little bastards on my legs, watched em one by one slow their crawl up my legs and then fall off. Don't believe the statement that it takes several hours for them to imbed, they will do that as soon as they find a spot they like, my hunting partner seems to be a magnet for ticks, he used to come home pretty regular with one stuck to his groin, neck or back, in just a few hours of hunting.

Tim

http://www.permethrin-repellent.com/home.htm

http://www.lyme.org/ticks/facts.html

http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/Lyme.html

http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/ehrlichiosis.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We're getting a variety of tick that is so small that you really can't see them on your skin like you do a dog tick or even a deer tick. These bastards are about the size of # 9 bird shot and drill down into you. After a few days they cause a big red sore that is hell to get rid of. It remains for several weeks or months.

They ain't fun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The nymph stage of all ticks is small like you describe, doesn't have to be a type of tick to be that small

http://www.lyme.org/ticks/facts.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Learn something every day. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of a friend got bit on the head, his barber noticed the bullseye rash when he was cutting the guys hair, no tick present and it had been a few days since he had been turkey hunting, his doc figured it might have been a nymph stage tick that got him. If his barber hadn't noticed it, the fella could easily have been in trouble without ever knowing it until he was sick. Antibiotics saved the day for him!!

Tim