THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Best bullet and Caliber for small cats in Africa

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best bullet and Caliber for small cats in Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this question on the African hunting page as well but thought this forum might have excellent info on this topic as well since many of you hunt animals in the size range I am looking at. I have a 300 WSM and a 223 Rem. And I want to hunt Caracal, Serval, Genet, and Civet in RSA. They range from probably 35 lbs. to less than 10 pounds. They are all pretty small and I obviously want as little damage to the mounts as possible but want good clean kills. I am leaning toward to 223, but might decide on the 300 if I decide to take a Wildebeest or something as well. I shot a coyote last year with a ballistic tip from the 300 and I definately do not want the same thing to happen to my cats as happened to that coyote. I could have reached inside the hole left on the far sid e of a broadside shot. What bullets would you recommend for these animals in these calibers?

Thanks for your help,

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
If you choose the 300 WSM, use solids.

The .223 would be the best choice. I use Speer 70 gr. semi spitzers in my .222 and .22-250 (both 1:12 twist). They don't seem to make a huge hole but no animal I've hit with them (ground hogs and a white tailed deer) have left the spot they were standing on.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote