THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What Scope for CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar .308 ??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Scope for CZ 550 Varmint Kevlar .308 ??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have ordered this gun and am digging in for the 6 month or so wait I love leupolds but what model....4-12, 6-18....... Confused

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you going to shoot with it? Targets, varmints or everything? If the targets are small fine crosshairs help in particular at long range.

If night hunting is done then a lighted reticule might be of interest. If you use spotlights for that a "glow" reticule would fit in.

If ranges over 300 yds are common a elevation target knob system is nice. The Leu. VX2's now have a knob that one can click without using a coin. One does not really need the large target knobs for a hunting rifle.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage 99,

it will be used primarily for shooting from the truck window and some spotlighting work ranges will be 400 yards at the extreme.

I expect this rifle to shoot much better than the Ruger canoe paddle 30/06 it will replace.

PC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I have a VariX11 4-12 AO and it has the worst defintion. One can make out more detail with 8X binoculars than it at 12X. On the other hand it's ok as a test scope.

The newer VariX111 4.5-14 AO Tactical is an excellent scope. Very good definition. If I had to order it again I would skip the target knobs.

The thing is that here the Zeiss Conquests are only $400 and the Leu's can't run with them for hunting scopes. So that's what I am buying now in the larger sizes. However the Conquest may not be available to you at a reasonable price.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Un-fortunately the Zeiss scopes will be to dear in Oz,

I am thinking the 4.4-14may be a good compromise, othere scopes I am considering are the leupold 6-18 or the 6.5-20 which is what I have on my 22/250 and i fine that to be a good scope but field of view can be a bit restricted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The newish VariX11 6-18 AO with the fine Duplex is on the Swift. Thats also an excellent scope. One can live with 6X min as long as it's just a varimint and not something up close that you just have to get.

Ten power is really enough for me at long range as long as the crosshairs don't cover the target. You could use a 4.5-14 on most rifles.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage,

how do you feel the 6-18 VX11 compares to the VX111 6.5-20 leupold. I have the 6.5-20 on my 22/250 but have never looked through the 6-18 models, do you feel you get much more scope for your money ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
We need someone to help out here. I don't have a 6.5-20!

Here is some data:

VX11 6-18

VX111 6.5-20

There is quite a spread on price. I would save the money for gas. I got a new VX111 2.5-8 and it's rather ordinary as compared to the previous generation. I would rather have a VX11 and the cash.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage,

I have often thought the VX111 line was subject to the law of diminishing returns !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some keep improving a boat and never go to sea. Others leave the dock in a teacup and it falls apart in the first storm. I think that a VX11 will stand up to most demands.

Above is a pic of the Vari-X11 6-18 on the Swift ready to have fun. Note the Stoney Point target turret on the elevation. The new VX11's and 111's have finally got good knobs and you can use them as is now.

These are good scopes.

Join the NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My two cents SmilerI have a VX II 4-12AO and think it is a very good scope with good definition. It compares well to my 3.5-10x44 Nikon Monarch as far as clarity goes.
My most recent scope is the VX III 4.5-14x40 LR and it is tops in all respects. That would be my first choice were I you.
The VXIII 3.5-10x40 would be a good option as well with very easy site aquisition, slightly more so than the 4.5-14. FWIW.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks FVA the 4.5-14 does not sound like a bad idea either !! if you happen to get a few targets running inclose well you can crank it back down to four and have reasonable field of view.