THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    DIY custom target/critter getter (lots of pics to download)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY custom target/critter getter (lots of pics to download)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my first attempt at modifying a gunstock for target and critters. It's actually a Savage mod.112 that started life as a 22-250, then went into a 6BR life, and now has come back again as a 22BR. It was out of commision for action repairs and I thought I would do some playing with the stock, which was a laminated BVSS stock.
It went through alot of different colors during a one week time period, and I learned a few things about paint. Such as "paint needs to cure". In one weekend I had put on 6 rattle cans of paint. All those wet layers of primer, color, and clear coats came back to haunt me, "big time". A couple of weeks later I re-worked it and it turned out pretty well for a beginner. Here are some pics that I hope post well of some of the process.......

It went through alot of color changes in that one weekend and ended with a red color. It didn't cure or dry out for me so I had to re-work it into something else. This was the next attempt. It's a blue metal flake, nd I'm happy with the way it turne out. t's setting on the bench now letting the bedding dry. I'm really lookig forward to shooting it off some bags.

I know... I really got carried away with the pics. But I wanted to get pics of most of the project...
Spring time with tagets and critters... "COOL"!!!!

Thanks tootalloutdoors

bugling elk-proof that God exists

Posts: 52 | Location: N.W. Montana | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there, first off id like to say very nice work, thats a really cool stock, but my question is, Why would you do that to such a pretty laminate stock, not to say that your rifle is ugly because it isnt, but i have one of those rifles with almost the same laminate stock and i love it. Again very nice job but i dont understand

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those were my brothers words exactly..
All I can say is,"I wanted to see something different". I did it with the idea of purely bench shooting with it. Now that the little critters are comming out I'm thinking "darn, I need another stock for hauling around in the truck."
So. You're not the only one who has wondered that. I'll just be buying another stock to make into a strickly varmint rig. I like playing around with the savages. These barrels seem to shoot exceptionally well on these savage actions too.
I guess I just like to try this, and try this, and try that.... tootalloudoors

Posts: 52 | Location: N.W. Montana | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work! I like what you've done. To look at the finished product you'd never know.

As much as I don't like the looks of the Savage action the damn things can shoot! If they'd leave the name off of the bolt I could probably live with the barrel nut. And after seeing how well they shoot I'm seriously considering one. A buddy of mind has a couple of them and he surprises me everytime he shoots them. He is not known for being much of a shooter but his rifle sure has made one out of him. For out of the box accuracy I don't think there's a more accurate rifle made. I'd like to have one in a WSSM cartridge, probably the .25cal

I had that same scope mounted on a Rem .22-250 but replaced it last year with a Leupold 6.5X20 with the side adj. I got tired of reaching forward to adj. the obj. all of the time. Laying down in the field it's not that easy to do without shifting your weight and rubbing the hide off of your other elbow. The Tasco was an excellent scope for the money. Be careful with the screws in the turrets and make sure they're always tight. My friend let his come loose and when he thought he was adjusting the scope he wasn't. He stripped out the splines and had to super glue the top knob on.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Job! I think it looks great, and it took alot of balls to give it a try and to maybe screw up a nice rifle!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off: screaming cool stock work!!!

Dec,

take a look at the Nikko-Sterling NP83244FC scope.
They have the side focus AND a 60mm side wheel for quick parallax adjustment. Also works as a basic range finder. 8-32X variable, 44mm objective lens.
Just got one(6-24 version) and they are really sharp.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats some good work.....

So is that bondo that you used??

Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm.

Posts: 40 | Location: SE TN USA | Registered: 04 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Cool looking stock I have a Rem XR-100 in .223 I can't stand the thumbhole stock. Maybe this fall I will try to make a stock that I do like. Something with a wide flat forearmed and no thumbhole.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good work!

Posts: 1361 | Location: congress, az us | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ttt--- The 22BR barrel is in the blue stock.. Sorry. I had to bump this for the pic. tootalloutdoors

One of Us
Picture of fireball 2
posted Hide Post
clapCOOL looking custom job. Looks like it took a long time to do. Makes this one look like it was store bought. I built this one for tree rats, dogs, an' hoppers at long range.

Works very well for me. It's a 243 bullbarrel, Timney trigger w/ side safety, 6-24 pwr/50mm ao simmons redline w/ duplex rets.It throws 55gr noslers at 3850fps to 3975fps depending how I feel when I load em' up. Whataya'll think? Dave

when in rome, punt

Posts: 66 | Location: northern calif. | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote