THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    30 cal. 110 grain Sierra Varminter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 cal. 110 grain Sierra Varminter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't know why I want to do this, but I'd like to work on an accurate load for varmint bullets in my 30-06. It's not the damn cat clawing up the end of the couch, honest.

The Sierras are available everywhere and cheaper than most anything. If my 30-06 like 180 to 220 grain bullets pretty well, is there much chance I'll get good accuracy with very light bullets?

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the 110 gr varminter in 308win using a Sako TRG 22 and found it not to be very accurite usually over 1 inch. But using 125 gr Ballistic tip over 44gr of N133 has given 1/2 inch groups.

Posts: 35 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Henry, my experience with 110 gr bullets exactly mirrors "trg's."

You won't get best accuracy with any .30 cal and the 110 gr. bullet, I don't think......but they will all shoot this bullet well. And the 125 will shoot VERY well as a rule.

The problem with the 110's is, of course, keeping it from blowing up on impact. (If that's an issue.)

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I tried the 110's about six years ago in a 40-X. I was not very satisfied with the accuracy. I hope you have better luck.

Posts: 3 | Location: Gretna, LA | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Henry,

I've used the Sierra 110gr. HP in my .308Win. I got it to print .826" but that's not an average. About 1.2" is average. I don't really like it because it's such a short, stubby bullet. I'm with the other guys on this one, preferring the Nosler 125gr. Bal. Tip. Brest wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been many years ago, but I had good luck with 125 gr Sierras over IMR-4064. The 110s never worked well in my rifle or my Dad's rifle.