Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 204 On Coyotes!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of British
posted
VarmintGuy: Great reading as usual. Isn't it about time you started writing professionally? You're the reason that the Varmint Hunting forum is ALWAYS my first stop on my visits to AR.

The .204 has not long arrived in the UK and the shooting magazines should be writing it up pretty soon. It looks like a serious threat to the .220 Swift.
All the best.
British

Posts: 325 | Location: Essex, UK | Registered: 12 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VG, well the brain trust of Kansas that set up the hunting seasons for deer by some small thread of wisdom seem to think that we need to wait until the first week of december to hunt deer. Well after rut and usually during a full moon to boot, this deer that we cut up sunday was a road kill doe that a local high schooler hit with his pickup on the way to school( pickup-1 deer-0 ). The young gent even came out to help process his prize. We just figured the coyote was trying to get an easy meal off of the excess fat that we had cut off. The deer was very fat, well fed I guess(hope it doesn't mean we're going to have a hard winter). All that is open for deer right now is bow, had to give that up several years ago due to a bad shoulder. Oh well, just gives me more time to varmint hunt, damn the luck . Yes there is some great areas to hunt here, great river bottem ground , thick timber, and wide open space. I had a brother-in-law up at Missoula for a while, hoped to get up there before they moved but...now they live around Moscow, Idaho. Sure like to get up there and do some bird hunting and proably ought to throw the rifles in since I'd be going that far...Darn.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbhewitt: Thanks for the update on Kansas Deer Hunting. I would like to get down there some year in the future and try for one of those nice Whitetails that roam the bottoms down there! It is a puzzle why the season for Rifle Hunting just misses the rut period?
Hmmm...?
By the way there is some GREAT Big Game Hunting in Idaho and they now have seasons in many areas where you can harvest two (2) Black Bears a year from!
I am not to familiar with the Moscow area but there are a lot of Elk in Idaho as well!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44mag: Good luck on the upcoming Hunt! I hope you get a nice one!
I love venison!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
British & Cummins cowboy: Thank you so much for the kind words! I appreciate them. I really look forward to sharing my Hunts and past experiences with arms and ammunition and have on occassion thought about writing articles for the Varmint Hunter Magazine. I would gladly do that for free - I don't need the money (thankfully!) so it may happen here some day.

With todays selection of very accurate and very lethal bullets for the 20 calibers they are sure to catch on and hold on with the accuracy/Varminting buffs!

The accuracy, light recoil and flat trajectory will make just about everyone that tries one happy!

Thanks again for the kind words!

My great grandmother was born in Wales. I need to get over there some day and look around. Maybe when the VarmintSons are done with college in about 5 years!

Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
VG,

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I've mentioned this to you in past conversation, but I am partially handicapped and "almost" wheelchair bound. I've tried the Stoney Point shooting sticks, but it requires kneeling, which I can't do very well. I've tried the Cabella's Unipod, but I feel it actually makes things worse because now you have two pivot point: you and the unipod. I have the Uncle Bud's bag which is good for shooting off of a flat surface like a hood, bench, etc. I'm trying to find something which is also light that I can shoot standing up. Maybe a tripod kind of a thing. I don't have any yote shooting experience, but my guess is that the tripod would be to easy to see and the yote would steer clear of me. Don't you think?

Regards,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote