THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Less magnification = more fun?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less magnification = more fun?
 Login/Join

posted
Hee Hee ... You're probably wondering what that title line is all about? :-0

I'm interested in knowing whether you variable users back way off on the magnification to see your hits.

Of course nobody is going to use their scope at 4 or 6X when the shot is 500 yards. I'm talking say .... 50 to 125 yards.

And ......

Along the same lines, I'm also wondering whether the majority of variable scope users EVER change their magnification in respect to the shot distance that they're faced with.

Using 18 - 20 (or more) power at 50 - 100 yards? Kinda unchallenging, eh?

What's your thoughts on this?

BC

I've cross posted this on several Forums to get a better representation for a future magazine article I'm to write. Don't fly off the handle at me, kay? [Eek!]

<slancey>
posted
I just came back from a 3-day shoot in Wood, SD for prairie dogs. I use Leupold 12x fixed power scopes on both of my Sako rifles. Most shots were 200- 325 yards, but I got one unlucky dog at 470. Only have to adjust parallax. In previous years I've used the variables up to 20x, but never needed all the magnification. You're right, QuestionMark, I could see all of my hits with 12x.

one of us
posted Hide Post
QuestionMark: If you are talking Rock Chuck, Prairie Dog and Ground Squirrel Hunting then no I do not hardly ever back off from full power. I have more fun and more success at full power. If heat mirage is laying along the ground in a particular colony Varmint situation I first try to solve it by gaining elevation and increasing the angle down at the Varmint. This will diminish the heat wave troubles somewhat.
For colony Varmints I actually prefer the fine Leupold 8.5X25X40mm scopes. Most all my Varminters have plenty of scope power. Most have the 6.5X20X40mm scopes (they were put together before the 8.5X25's came out). I am a firm believer that the higher the scope power the higher the success ratio on colony Varmints!
And this also, I do not like to shoot Prairie Dogs or Rock Chucks at 200 yards and under. I would much rather shoot at them from 200 yards to 500 yards, so that may account for my sticking with full power most all the time!
If you are talking Varmints that are called in to close range then yes I usually turn the scope down to lowest power til the intended Varmints shows fur then adjust the scope back up if the Varmint is way out there and holding. So if the Varmint sneaks in on me I am ready at the lowest power and if its out there it is simple and one usually has more time to zoom up in power.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Odd man out? Last time I went out for gophers and tree rats it was with my Lyman Plains rifle. No scope,sooo--- derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of my woodchuck rifles are 6X18 or 6X24. I keep them set on 6X because it's difficult to get a steady hold on an animal above that magnification. Once I'm sure of my target I'll crank it up, maybe to 12, 16 or even all the way up to 24. It seems we often need one level of magnification to pick up old Woodie and another to lay him back down. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote