THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmint Nitemare bullet run down

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint Nitemare bullet run down
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
cheersFor the past several months the Mid South Varmint Nitemare bullet has been tested in a number of rifles and a number of loadings.

.222 CZ 527 American 50 yds.
  • 24gr. A2015, win case, 3175fps. 9 shot 1/2" group
  • 21gr. German flake powder 1938, FC case, 3050 fps. 3 shot 1/8" group.
  • 24gr. A2015,compressed, FC case, 3100fps. 7 shot 3/4" group.

.223 12VBSS-S 50 yds. FC cases CCI mag. Primers
  • 27.5gr.A 2520, 3425fps. 3 shot 1/8" group.
  • 26gr. 2230-C, 3200fps., 10 shot 1/4" group.
  • 23.5gr. Data 73, 3000fps. 3 shot 1/8" group, 10 shot 1/2" group.
  • 26gr wcc846, 3175fps., 5 shot 1/4" group.
  • 23gr. data 2200, 3180fps, 5 shot 1/8" group.
  • 24.5gr. WCC844, 3115fps, 5 shot 1/8" group
  • 25gr. Data 73, 8 shot 3/8" group, 10 shot 3/4" group.
  • 25.5gr. wcc846,wsr primer, 3225fps.8 shot 3/8" group.

A .223 ruger varmint came near duplicating the above performances.

.22-250 Stevens Mod 200, 50 yds
  • 32.7gr. 2230-C, 3315fps. 3shot 1/4" group. 5 shot 3/4" group.
  • 39gr. a data 86, 3280fps., 6 shot 1/4"group.
  • 34.7gr. A4064, 3635 fps., 10 shot 1/2" group.
  • 34.5gr. a4064, 3600fps., 8 shot 1/4"group.
  • 34gr. a 73, 3585fps. 3 shot 1/8" group.
  • 34.5gr. wcc846, 3460 fps.3 shot 1/4" group.

A Ruger Varmint .22-250 shot a 5 shot group at 50 yds,<1/4".Powder unknown but can find out.

thumbThis really seems to be a great bullet and the price is outstanding. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..
  •  
    Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Bartsche. Are these a solid base bullet? They are priced cheap. I might have to buy some and give'm a try.

One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by lennyzrx:
    Bartsche. Are these a solid base bullet? They are priced cheap. I might have to buy some and give'm a try.

waveThey appear to be just a psp bullet with a cannelure. I do not use the cannelure but rather seat the bullets out to meet the lans. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Fjold
    posted Hide Post
    I just tried some of the varmint nightmare 55 g SP load in my heavy barreled 223 along with some Hornady 50 g SX and 50 g Vmax using BLC(2) this morning.

Nightmare 3.0", 3.2", 2.5"
    SX 1.2", 1.2", 1"
    Vmax 1", .7". 1"

So far I'm not really liking the Varmint Nightmares. I'm going to pull the bullets from the remaining loaded rounds and try some other powder combinations.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
    - Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fjold:

Nightmare 3.0", 3.2", 2.5"
    SX 1.2", 1.2", 1"
    Vmax 1", .7". 1".

I take it that these are three shot groups. No Matter. I am really surprised. Maybe the quality varies from lot to lot. If you get down this way I'll give you a handfull of what I got for you to try out.The oal=2.281" when used in my sigle shot Savage. I have even seated them farther out than that.???????? Confusedroger

one of us
    Picture of N. S. Sherlock
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the data. I've been perfectly satisfied with the bullets, and wrote a couple of your loads down to try. Are you having any good results with data 73 in bores over .224?

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Are you having any good results with data 73 in bores over .224?

Not as much as I thought I had when first I saw your question. I've had good results with A73 in the .243 and a 7mmX41 wildcat of mine but in going through my data those are the only two over .224 that I've used it on. My cousin does really good with it in his .257 Roberts, Ruger varmint. cheersroger

one of us
    Picture of Fjold
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bartsche:
    I take it that these are three shot groups. No Matter. I am really surprised. Maybe the quality varies from lot to lot. If you get down this way I'll give you a handfull of what I got for you to try out.The oal=2.281" when used in my sigle shot Savage. I have even seated them farther out than that.???????? Confusedroger

These are 5 shot groups from my semi-automatic rifle. I load these to fit the magazine length my best loads so far run about .7 or so using the Nosler BT and the Hornady V-Max and H335 or BLC(2).

I'm doing alot of reloading for the semis now because my brother has one and my daughters love the AR platform when we're out ground squirrel shooting. I was trying to find a cheaper bulk bullet for them.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
    - Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fjold:
    [QUOTE]
    I'm doing alot of reloading for the semis now because my brother has one and my daughters love the AR platform when we're out ground squirrel shooting. I was trying to find a cheaper bulk bullet for them.

Can't help you much there, Frank. Semi auto is fun but it isn't my game. Have you had any luck with the TNTs? beerroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I have an AR with the 24" 1-8 twist barrel and found that the harder I pushed these bullets the better accuracy got, but if you want to use the magazine you can only go so far! but they were well under an inch and I'm wanting to check the effects on some p-dogs so I'll let you know next week sometime. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Bartsche,
    Are those loads with the 50g or 55 g?

So far I've had poor results with wc846 and the 55 g V-N. I'll try the magnum primers next.

This data is probably in the data you so kindly sent me, I just haven't got to a computer with Excel, yet.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of bartsche
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bja105:
    Bartsche,
    Are those loads with the 50g or 55 g?55gr

So far I've had poor results with wc846 and the 55 g V-N. I'll try the magnum primers next.the magnum primer will help when using WCC846. A lot of that powder seems to burn outside of the barrel with a large kaabooom.

This data is probably in the data you so kindly sent me, I just haven't got to a computer with Excel, yet.You should be able to open it in Word

beerroger

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    The loads I was shooting are with the 55gr. bullets and I am using Alliant RL15 powder, I am having real good luck with this powder! as I'm not a speed freak I do like an accurate load and I've been getting it with this powder. I can't remember the load I was using but when I get home I'll post the goods. Later,

Kirk

Posts: 166 | Location: Right in the middle of Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote