New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Varmint Shooter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a Boyds stock for another rifle but it just didn't work out with the barrel contour. I liked the stock to much to give up though so I picked up a cheap SPS in 223 and after shooting it to verify the barrel had potential I stripped it down, sold the stock, trigger, bottom metal, and took it to my smith for trueing and rechambering.
Finally got it back a few days ago and even though I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, I thought I run it up the AR flagpole and see who desecrates it. LOL

By fieldgrade at 2012-08-22

Sooo, for about the same price as the standard Remchester I now have a nice little rifle (IMO) in a great caliber that's different from the crowd, fits my style, and already has the action work done should I choose to rebarrel at a later date.
PS,,, my smith only charged me 220.00 for truing, lapping locking lugs and raceways, surface grinding recoil lug, set back and rechamber, and re-crown.

By fieldgrade at 2012-08-22

Can't get to the range before next Friday but I'll shoot it and report back at that time.
Thanks for looking.
Charlie

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
What a great caliber and what a beautiful package...

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looks like a keeper to me. I have a soft spot for .222s.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,,, I got to the range today as promiced.
Shot a couple of decent groups, but the jury's still out on the Benchmark powder.

By fieldgrade at 2012-08-31

I'm right at the lands so I might try backing off a tad (or jamming em).
Anywhooo, it's definatly showing potential so I'll keep messing with it untill it comes around to my way of thinking.

Thanks again for looking.
Charlie

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I really like the way it looks. In fact I'm liking the stock a lot. Care to tell what model it is?

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
I really like the way it looks. In fact I'm liking the stock a lot. Care to tell what model it is?

Here ya go Nate.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/...BC-W-F-p/700-048.htm

Looks like the prices have gone up for the Walnut models since I ordered mine (no suprise).
Charlie

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with sub half inch groups, but keep searching if you enjoy doing so.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
There's nothing wrong with sub half inch groups, but keep searching if you enjoy doing so.

Don't get me wrong.
I'm more than happy with the performance of this barrel so far.
Especially when you concider it's roots.
Problem was, the groups were inconsistant, (which very well may have been the trigger puller). Didn't have the chrono set up so that's all speculation anyway.
Next trip, I'll set up the crono, load up some more rounds with about ten thou jump and go from there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a little more tinkering last Friday.
Since every 224 cal rifle I've owned liked having the bullets jammed that's where I started, and sure enough this one's no different.

Of the three loads this one was definatly best even though I did cull one of the three groups that was about 3/4" (I was getting tired LOL).
Still,,, any time I can shoot a couple of consecutive groups this good with consistant velocities, I'm a happy hunter.

I'm sure liking this little gun and even though I said earlier that I might rebarrel it down the road, I don't see that happening. Especially when you concider a 222's barrel life.
Can't wait to whack a few Rock Chucks with her next spring.

Thanks for looking, and good hunting.
Charlie

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
My .222 shoots extremely well w/ Reloder 7. However, those are some nice groups alright; and one beautiful rifle.
joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe
Yea,,, I can think of several powders I would have started with (332 and Re7 being a couple) but I have about ten pounds of BM that I need to use up, so I had to try.
Glad I did now, but I will admitt that it seems dirtier in this rifle than it did in a 223 and a 22BR that I previously used it in.
I can live with that though, I have plenty of patches and carbon remover on hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle!

There are few cartridges that can surpass the .222 Remington in a varmint rifle for accuracy, with the added benefit of extended barrel life. I wouldn't worry about one powder being "cleaner" than another as I have never found any practical value to that subjective observation. Some of the "dirtiest" powders have provided me the gilt edge accuracy I need without causing any reduction of accuracy over several hundred shots. I discovered Hodgdon's CFE223 powder, containing anti copper fouling ingredients, to produce a very black and sooty residue like a smudge pot, yet it cleans right up with a few wet patches. It may make a barrel look like a diesel truck's exhaust pipe, but it does reduce copper fouling without harming accuracy. Your results with Benchmark are about as good as it will get without spending a lot more money on rifle mods for very little improvement.

Be warned that you have now crossed the border into the addictive world of rifle tinkering. I started with Savage Target Actions, and now have found that Remington 700's and 40-X's can be barreled with a Savage type nut allowing me to swap custom barrels at will. This is more fun than building hot rods and the parts aren't as heavy.

Good luck and great shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That accuracy is plenty good enough for varmint hunting, but would be a pain if you have to eject an unfired cartridge that is a jam fit. Normally the bullet stays in the barrel and the powder fills your action. When you're all involved in hunting it's too easy to forget to point your muzzle skyward when ejecting an unfired round. Been there done that, a real Royal pain. Your rifle will probably shoot better once that barrel gets broke in well. I will gladly give up 1/2" of accuracy in order to not jam my bullets with a hunting rifle, even a varmint hunting rifle.
P.S. Nice rifle though, you did a good job.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote