Find
Notify
Tools

Mangy Coyote?
 Login/Join

<waldog>
posted
EWWWW!!! YUCK!!!!

I wished I'd had a camera with me this weekend! I blasted a coyote at 250yds with a .223 and it put him right down. I walked up to the critter and saw what I didn't see through the 4x scope.... the critter was missing more hair than he had!

Was this a critter with the mange? Distemper? Or, did he try a shampoo that wasn't tested first on animals? [Wink] Maybe he needed a shot of Rogaine? Nah... a shot from my AR fixes most any problem!

Anyone ever seen anything like this or know what was going on?

one of us
posted Hide Post
waldog... I have seen a number of coyotes with "the mange"/scabes... STAY away from any you have shot... it is contractable even with very casual contact. Scabes are not like fleas in size, they are much smaller.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
smallfry,

I didn't get within 5 feet of it and didn't let my dog either! I know I was poking fun at the thing, but when you see something that wretched, you just don't touch the damn thing... NO MATTER WHAT! Believe me, I woulda loved to have flopped the thing over to check out the exit wound!

Glad I made the right choice. Thanx

posted Hide Post
mange is caused by mites and not that bad.. it gets to be a problem in this country if there are alot of yotes in the area..treated with Ivomec..i have never had it cause about twice a year i probably get a dose of ivomec myself when treating cows

Posts: 13 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
old-diesel... is that taken inernaly or topicaly? My friend got "the mange" scabies... when were out bird hunting... I told him not to pick it up, but thats all it took. It started on his hand, then back, but like any guy... he had to scratch his balls!! I dont recal what the doctor gave him, but they died in about 3 days. When you get them... it starts out as a scratch that itches, this is a tunnel for them critters to travel, then islands of crusty scabs form this is their "house". You will see "scratches" zig zaging to these scabs. He was miseriable.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a fox on Dec. 29th and it had no hair behind the front shoulders and was loaded with scabs. Really nasty looking. I let it lay in the field where it died. Probably put it out of a lot of misery. Have been back to call since then and the fox carcass is still there, totally intact. The Crows and Buzzards haven't even touched it. It's been cold so it hasn't started to decompose. Mange is really nasty.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There seeems to be alot of Mange in both NE and SE Colorado. Quite a bit in and around Big Timber MT also. Had a neighbor hows dog ran off with the coyotes for a while and came back with just hair on his head and a little on his neck. Funny but cruel.
I hav had scabies, and Cow Pocks, The stuff the Dr. gave me did not work for nothing, Now the stuff the Vet gave me had it gone in days.

THom

Posts: 52 | Location: TX | Registered: 10 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mange in coyotes, etc comes and goes year after year. When the coyotes get thick as heck in a couple of years you'll see a bunch of mangy ones. Last year I shot one that looked white. When I got there, the only hair he had was the short hair, no fur.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote