Find
Notify
Tools

Eley Hollow point rimfire
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted
Tried some Eley hollow point rimfire (Anschutz 64)during my annual varmint fest near Baker, OR. Performed outstanding with great blowouts like a hollowpoint should. Very pleased as cost is much less that 22-250 ammo!

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like all the Eley ammo. I hear some folks claim they can't shoot it as well as the cheaper stuff but I think they might be not trying! I use Eley sub sonic HP for much of my starling shooting here. I guess you were using the high velocity? Try this out of your 64, CCI velociter that has had the hollow point enlarged and deepend with with a Ron Allard hollow pointing tool from EABCO. It turns the dimple hollow point in the "gold dot" bullet into a slighty wider and much deeper and more effective cavity.I now have some mean hollow points that weight 39 grains and go about 1400+ FPS out of my .22. Much more effective than the stinger type with the lightweight bullet and the very poor BC. FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys talking about 22 LR (which I assume you are since you are doing 'sub sonic)? Will the subsonic rounds cycle in a semiauto such as the Remington 597 or do you have to use a bolt action or single shot rifle?

John

Posts: 64 | Location: Shreveport, LA | Registered: 06 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, there are...

CCI Quick Shok 1640 fps, 32 gr, has a bullet that splits into 4 pieces on impact. It makes the ground squirrells flip in the air when hit. More damage than the 17HMR, but less range.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/default.asp?menu=1&s1=3&pg=18&prod_id=6

quote:

QUIK-SHOK®† 22 LONG RIFLE

The same performance numbers as Stinger® but loaded with a special segmented bullet. Excellent for medium varmints like rock chucks and woodchucks. (part #0064)
† QUIK-SHOK is a registered trademark of the PolyWad Corporation. Used with permission.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
A friend at my shooting club suggested I try the Eley sub-sonic in my 77/22 carbine. In my gun it shoots as well as the next best shooting ammo (CCI mini-mag) at 50 yards, plenty well enough to bust squirrel heads. The noise is also less. I'm going to switch from the CCI for squirrels because the reduced noise should help and I don't think the loss in energy will matter at squirrel range...rarely over 35 yrds. The RWS and SK Jagd subsonics shot well too, just not quite as well.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed has his .22 accuracy tests listed which cover nearly every .22 cartridge made. Well worth a visit and the results let you see the variance by brand for a given rifle.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote