Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Too fast twist ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted
FWIW, I have a 12" twist .22-250 that shoots 60 grain bullets well. Probably wouldn't handle any longer ones than that.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have read most of what has been published concerning twist rates. But want some of ya'll's first hand experience.

When lighter weight varmint bullets (40 - 55 grain 224s) are put in barrels with fast twist rates intended for heavier bullets (60 - 85 grain 224s) -- i.e., twist rates in the 7 to 10 inch range -- how do the bullets do ? What kind of accuracy are you getting ? What kind of other problems are you experiencing ?

Thinking of having a 220 Swift barrel made with a fast twist but still would like to shoot 50 and 55s in it for prairie dogs.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this info, it is not a direct answer to your question, but it does shed some light. web page

Hope it helps, and have fun�.

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler says that their Ballistic Tips are designed to handle both high velocity and high RPMs from fast twist barrels. 40 gr bullets shoot great from my Savage with a 1 in 9" twist.

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Hammer,

As long as they don't disintegrate in flight, light bullets have worked just fine in my fast-twist barrels. Twist, velocity, bullet construction and bore smoothness all factor in but unless you're planning on shooting bullets of at least 80 grains in weight, you needn't go faster than a 1-9" twist. Even 223's of that medium twist will stabilize 75 & 80's most of the time. They'll surely spin the lighter ones.

BTW, how'd you end up with my old USMC nickname?

Cheers!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the construction of the bullet- Nosler Bt's will work- most standard or match bullets should as long as the barrel is smooth and you don't get the barrel too hot. The only real way to know which will/won't is to try them.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer, unless you plan on shooting 60g or heavier bullets, 1 in 12 twist is fine for your needs. An extra long tube is also a waste and can acutely diminish velocity and accuracy. A 24� tube is ideal for the Swift, and provides an ample burn column for complete combustion of the powder within the Barrel.

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 223 with a Pacnor barrel, 24 inch stainless steel.

The twist is one in 7.

Just stay away from the fragile style bullets, and higher velocity. They will work if the velocity is lower. It is the RPMs. that make them come apart. Lower velocity, the less RPMs.

Most HollowPoint Match bullets and hunting style bullets work just fine. If they are meant for a Hornet or something, chances are they won't.

if you want a few chuckles, load up some bullets like a 50 grain Speer TNT, and shoot it out of a 1 in 7 twist barrel at 3300 fps.

I did this on a hot summer day, in Oregon, which has zero humidity in the summer. It was 100 degrees plus outside.
About 10 feet from the muzzle, you could see the bullet just vaporize in the air, in bright sunshine.

Just like your breathe on a cold winter's day.

Did the same with some Sierra 45 grain HPs,that were meant for a Hornet.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ChoPPeR,

A twenty-four inch barrel is too short. Don't know about accuracy and velocity. But it makes a lousy walking cane. Thirty inch barrels make a good walking stick.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote