THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Super close range coyotes question.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Super close range coyotes question.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think a head shot would work. It has on other game I have taken with the .22's.

The best load for me right now is the CCI Velocitor. It has a 40 gr bullet with as much or more power than the older Stingers.

It might be best to find a more powerful gun however.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have used a 22lr to dispatch coyotes up close. I would either shoot the brain or if that is risky go for a heart / lung. I used stingers. I now have a .22 mag and use it for calling when the cover is close and it works fine. They won't drop in their tracks if shot in the chest, ( they may do a few circles)but then again it's easy on the fur! I also took a bobcat with the .22 mag this year.
Not knowing all the specifics of your situation I'm just trying to answer specifically what you ask.
If calling at night I'd be comfortable with a couple of choices depending on what conditions. I like #3 buckshot in a 12ga., .223 with 52gr Speer HP flat base. Two of my most used.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr Dobrenski said it. Go to wally wolrd and buy a 20 dollar spot light. Put a troglu bead or maybe even some snap on to the vent rib turkey sights. I have used a remington 870 so set up at night and have not had one leave the beam of light when hit with win or fed 00 buck. Try this set up with some type of glowing sights, you wont be disapointed

posted Hide Post
Ray-Marine Headshot will do nicely for 22 LR. Scattergun even better with light source with red lens filter on you light.

Redneck Outdoors

Posts: 10 | Location: LAL - CSA - Soar Like an Eagle | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wound not use a 22lr on coyotes at any distance. Use a shotgun for those in close buggers, it will work very well,esp. if the dog flares at the last second.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a coyote with 12 ga. #4 at 25 yards, and he went down.

I shot at a coyote with 12 ga 00 buck at 60 yards, and that skinny coyote walked right through the pattern unharmed.

The way to shoot a shotgun quietly in urban areas, is to use a Hastings Metro Gun system and hand load sub sonic loads. The 36" screw in choke tube is full of 1/8" holes, but requires no suprressor tax stamp [great rulling from the the ATF]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I just got back from the shot show and I have found out what I am going to use. I will be trying out the new 17HM2. It has 166# of of energy and travels around 2k fps. I am only waiting on the barrel and ammo now. They should be making them this summer. This will be a great addition to my 10/22/17MH2. I like the shotgun idea but I prefer to have both hands on my gun rather than holding a flashlight. I also don't want to put out more light. The yotes around here know whats up with them.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote