THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Recommendations on a good howler

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations on a good howler
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted
What do you guys use or recommend (should be one in the same, no?) for a good coyote howler. I bought one of those plastic, brand name (cant remember which and the company was too embarassed to put their name on it) howlers and am very unimpressed. I've never had a dog come in or even answer me with the POS. Very disappointing. Maybe I can get a turkey to gobble with it. At least it would serve some purpose. Web sites where I can buy and prices would be great if you all can remember. Thanks again in advance. BTW, I'm not in the market as of right now for an electronic caller. I'm looking for recommended mouth calls. Thanks again.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of NorthTexan
posted Hide Post
I've got a Lohman and a Primos, both open reed, that I like. The Lohman is a little wooden one, can't remember what they call it, that is easy to pack in a shirt pocket. The Primos is a larger plastic one, but it sounds good even up close. Can't remember what they call it, either.

I had a howler that wasn't open reed, I think maybe Knight and Hale, and it wasn't too taco.

Posts: 32 | Location: Woodson, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
LOL WTF is taco? Im thinking mine is a K&H now that you mention it.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Several custom call makers out there like Cronk Calls. Look on Predator Masters.

I picked up a Cronk Call made out of cow horn and a buffalo horn howler by Brad from the forum and really like the sound. You get what you pay for.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=hob

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bought a Primos Master Pack from this website:
Calling Coyotes

The Hot Dog and Ki-Yi (along with a DVD) were $29.95 total. Cabela's also has this but it was sold out.
Have not used it on coyotes yet, but it sounds good enough to spook the neighbors dog.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NorthTexan:
I've got a Lohman and a Primos, both open reed, that I like. The Lohman is a little wooden one, can't remember what they call it, that is easy to pack in a shirt pocket. The Primos is a larger plastic one, but it sounds good even up close. Can't remember what they call it, either.

I had a howler that wasn't open reed, I think maybe Knight and Hale, and it wasn't too taco.

I have the large Primos myself. I don't think they are still making it but it has a pretty good sound. But its large and a half. I do my best pup in destress with it. The new ones are a lot smaller which is appealing but haven't used one.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Primos makes 4 calls designed (developed?) by Randy Anderson.

Lil Dog (small one)
Hot Dog (big one)
Ki-Yi (real small one)
Double Whammy (dual reed call)

JTR is correct about the price for the Hot Dog & Ki-Yi + DVD Primos Master Predator Pack for $29.95 from Cabela's or CallingCoyotes.com.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Laner,

I would recommend the Austin Howler. I hunt with several guys in the Dakotas and Montana and all of them are using the Austin. I have one myself, it takes a little practice but is well worth it.

Its the third one down here

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a call made in Colorado by a fella by the name of Major Bodkins, it is called the Critter Call.

It is open reed and they make it in 3 sizes. Inexpensive and very effective.

I've used it to call in lopes/deer/elk/bear/cats/fox/yotes.

And yes it can be made to howl and is one of the easiest calls I've ever used!

Find one and get it and if they have a couple of them pick them both up as it will very quickly become your fav!

Good shooting

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Sceery with the bell removed and a Little dog, I've tried the Hot Dog but have had a hard time getting a consistant sound out of it.

375win

After the first shot the rest are just noise

Posts: 66 | Location: Wetside, WA | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote