THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Anyone shooting 125gr TNT's in a 308?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone shooting 125gr TNT's in a 308?
 Login/Join

<wksinatl>
posted
I would like to shoot these in an LTR (20") barrel. I have 2520, Varget, 748, 4895 and a few others. Please share some load that have worked for YOU and might work for me. Thanks, Keith
Have a fun, safe Holiday!

one of us
posted Hide Post
While I've never shot them in a 308 I have shot a couple of thousand of them thru a 21" 06 at rodents varmints and game. They are incredibly accurate and very devastating to varmints.

Great bullet!!!

Dog

"GET TO THE HILL"

( fyi they would go 3200 with R15 out of a 21" tube in my 06)

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I've used Nosler's 125 grain ballistic tips in the .308 win.

Your load should be 51.5 grains of W748 with a CCI or Federal primer. This is a very accurate load when using the Nosler, and should be fairly accurate using the TNT.

Let us know how it does...

green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are a cheap, fragile bullet. I've actually pushed them fast enough out of my 26 inch .308 to have them come apart in flight.
What I don't like is their weight variation - as much as .3 grs., as compared to Sierra's 125 gr. ProHunter at .1 gr. or less.
For shorter ranges, they seem to work fine. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wksinatl,

I ahve a couple boxes of those Speers at home but haven't assembled my .308 ammo yet.

All the powders you named should work just fine. When I get after it, I'll be trying 2520, R15, IMR4320, and I think I have a smidgen of 748 left.

I'd like to try Varget & Tac with that bullet as well.

Truthfully, if we start with good brass that has concentric case necks, any of those powders should work just fine.

BigIron

<North of 60>
posted
Try 51.0 of 748. In my Steyr Scout this load groups into 1.4" groups at 200 yards at 2900 ft/sec. Pressure is mild, pressure ring measures at .0005 under top factory loads.
This group is without serious load development but works well enough for gophers to 200. I used Rem cases and Win primers and an OAL of 2.80. The bullet is not seated down the neck much but it works. Box says to keep under 3100 ft/sec. With a longer barrel this load would be close to this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot Sierra 125 grain spitzers for years and have changed to 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in the past few years with great results not only on game but accuracy also. I shoot them in not only my .308 rifles but my 15" Encore handgun.
I use 51.5 grains of W748 Winchester brass Federal 210 GM match primers. Good luck and good shooting [Big Grin]

Posts: 223 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello from Scotland~

This post caught my eye as I have been thinking of using TNT's in my Miroku .308

Has any one ever used target hollow points for fox etc such as palma 155 gn or even 168 gn ? I see the reloading manuals say not to use these on game, but how do they fair on varmints ?

Englander

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric Leonard>
posted
 -
win brass,fed 210 GM primer and 51 grs 748.

<green 788>
posted
Good shootin' Eric!

Yes, the 51 grain neighborhood with the W748 and the 125 grain bullet in the .308 seems to be good medicine for any decently made rifle in that chambering. I've used the max charge of 51.5 grains with the Nosler BT's with 1/2 MOA results in three different .308's. That load just cooks!

Dan Newberry
green 788

<Eric Leonard>
posted
that 8.5-25xLRT Leupold and Jewel trigger make it easy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Englander, I've seen mixed results using the Sierra Matchkings for hunting. The 168's at about 2700 fps went clean through rockchucks and coyotes without much, if any, expansion. Same bullets blew up upon striking pronghorn antelope, shallow, nasty wound. On the other hand everything hit died quickly. All this shooting was with the .308 and 24 or 26 inch barrels. We tried 'em briefly but my buddies and I are back to varmint bullets for varmints, hunting bullets for big game and target bullets for match shooting. Seems to work out better that way for us. Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
My heavy barreled 1 in 12" twist 308 shoots very well with the 125 grain bullet and 49.0 grains of WW-748 powder, Winchester brass, Federal large rifle primers. Rel-15 also produces very good results.

<fishnfst>
posted
Hello I can't remember my actual load but I had been shooting my .308 with the 110grn V-max. Super accurate and hits real hard on coyote sized aminals.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
If Speer still makes the 130gr. flat base hollow point( think they still do) try them at any vel. They are extremely accurate. Used to use them in benchrest matches(coudn't afford the Matchkings). RL-15 and W748 work well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello from Scotland~

Well finally got my habds on some TNTs for my .308 they are sittintg on a large amount of N140 and according to the data should be doing some thing like 3000 f.p.s

I havent been able to try them yet but i shall be on the range this Saturday to see how they group in my M-bolt.

If all goes well i hope to try them on fox in the near future..............

Will let you know how i get on with them.

regards Englander [Smile]

Posts: 193 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<LotharWalther>
posted
Hi across th North Sea [Smile]

I have shot 100's of 125 TNT in 308, 30-06 an 300 WinMag. They work great, IF youve got a good barrell, or some of them will come apart in flight. Drive thems as fast as you want in the 08 and 06.
Near max with N140 will do fine in both, a couple of grains under max with N160 will do fine in the 300.
I've shot foxes with the 300/TNT combination, what a mess! [Eek!]