THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Coyote Hunting from a Tree Stand?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyote Hunting from a Tree Stand?
 Login/Join

posted

Has anyone ever tried shooting coyotes from a tree stand? Not just one that happened past while you were deer hunting, but actually setting up shop in a stand with a call?

Here are my thoughts, and I'd like to hear what you all have to say. Now I've never used a tree stand for any purpose, so if I seem a little confused please feel free to enlighten me.

Let's say I locate the stand near a pond up in a nice oak with enough low branches to help break my outline, but not enough to limit my rifle sighting ability. I could adjust the exact position of the stand depending on whether it was summer or winter (leaves or not). Of course I'd have my trusty rifle with me - could be my 243 or 22-250 or whatever. Mouth call maybe, but more likely an electronic call positioned strategically with the wireless remote in the stand with me. And maybe an open can of sardines out there too. I'm also looking into the laws here to see if I can use a spotlight - probably not, so we're talking daytime - dawn to dusk.

Will a setup like this work? Should I use any type of scent agent to mask or confuse? How far out should I expect to see the coyote - near the electronic call's speaker? downwind?

I'm guessing it will require some trial and error to get the setup right and some patience while waiting for anything to show up. But it should work. How reusable would the location be? Would I have to move the stand every time, or just the electronic call?

Posts: 17 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Usually I'm not in one space much longer than half an hour so a tree stand wouldn't be worth it to me. I get setup, call a couple of times, wait two minutes and call again a couple of times. Then I wait for about 15 minutes and repeat the process. After doing this routine twice (about 35 minutes or so of total time there) I move to a new location (at least 200 yards and up to a couple of miles) and try again.

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I kinda think the 'yotes would get onto the set up pretty quick if you left it in place and moving it constantly would be a hassle. But, what the hell, its winter time and its worth a try.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have hunted from tree stands for coyotes and had some luck. The coyotes can hear you better as the sound is up in the air. However, it is very time consuming and I make as many as 15 stands a day if I have the time. If you take your stand up and down your not going to get much hunting done. I prefer to get on as high a ground as possible to call. Also remember that tree stands are very dangerous and I recommand a good quality stand and safety harness. Good luck.

Posts: 19 | Location: Kansas NE | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
kscoyote,

I had not thought about the sound travelling farther from the stand. Good point. Maybe smell too. I guess your scent cone COULD go over the coyote's head if he was within 30 yards of the tree.

What type of camo do you use? Do you use a mouth call?

posted Hide Post
I use advantage camo and hand calls. I have several calls but my favorite are the song dog and crit'r call. I also have an off brand camo that works well in my area because of cedars and hardwoods. I bought it at Dicks Sporting Goods. Have never seen any like it else where. It is a little darker than most.

Scent has not been a problem as I seldom let them get that close. I had 2 come in tonight at 300 yards and would come no closer. I haven't figured that one out yet, was calling in cross wind. I am guessing that someone else is calling in the area I am in. I do use scent cover sometimes. As I said I call in areas where red cedar is common so as I walk in I grab 2 or 3 hand fulls and crush it on my clothes. Be sure to wear gloves! I don't know if it helps but I sure like the smell.

Posts: 19 | Location: Kansas NE | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Where I hunt there is cedar in the fencerows, but not a lot in the open. It does have a strong smell - I'll have to try that trick.