New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Help with a 1: twist
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My buddy purchased a Rem 700 in .223 that he would like for me to load for. I was really excited till I heard it was a 1:9 twist. Which, send me scrambling and looking for answers her at Accuratereloading. The purposes was to varmint with it and shoot 50g bullets. But being a 1:9 we are concerned that it will not shoot the 55g and below bullets with accuracy. I was wondering if any of you had tried this. Will it / could it shoot accurately with 55g bullets and below. If it won’t what powders work best with bullets in the 70g plus or minus 5 grains and what bullets have produced for you guys.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One in nine is a good all-around twist. My AR shot everything from 40 to 75 grains very well, although some consider 40 too light. I think it has more to do with long throats. Whatever case that may be with 40s, don't worry about 55 gr bullets. If they won't group it will be anything but the twist rate.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 1 in 9 shoots 55's real good, haven't tried any 50's yet.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 10 FP 24" bbl with 1:9 twist. It shoots 45-75 grainers with very good accuracy. Best results with 55's.

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bushmaster Super Varmiter, shoot's 40 to 55 grain bullets accurately. Shot some 69 grains bullets and was NOT impress.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use fast twist barrels in .204, .224 and .243 calibers. While intended to shoot long light lead free bullets, I found that they also shoot normal lead core bullets of lighter weight very accurately. Light bullets in a 1:9" twist will do as well or better than a 1:12" or 1:14" twist.

A 1:8.5" .204 Ruger barrel shoots Berger 50 grain HPBT's in the .2's an .3's, while it also shoots the 26 grain Varmint Grenade in the .2's.

A 1:9" .223 Remington polygonal barrel shoots 40 and 50 grain lead core bullets fantastically, while also shooting the 40 grain (longer than a lead core 40) lead free Noslers and 50 grain Barnes L.F. in the .3's.

Don't believe conventional "wisdom" about faster twist barrels being unable to shoot lighter bullets, or spinning them too fast, or having them fly apart, it's all nonsense. In every case I have found the faster twists to be slightly more accurate than the "standard" twists.

Besides, the 1:9" twist isn't really all that fast in a .224 bore.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
My Savage 223 has a 9" twist. It shoots the 50 gr Vmax very well.

5 shots @ 100 yards from a cold clean barrel. I'm using the old mil surp BL-C(2) powder. My second best load is with H-380, and is nearly as tight as this one.

You shouldn't have any issues with that 9" barrel and 50 gr bullets.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here, Bushmaster 1:9 Is very good with 55s.

Bill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be good with a 1 in 9.

Here are four groups shot earlier today out of a 223 AI, 8 twist. Four different loads and four bullets between 36 gr. and 53 gr.
Pearland shooting club, off bench and rest, 100 yds. Wind +/- 10 mph., temp =/- 70 degrees F.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote