New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best wolf Rifle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to start hunting wolves in Alaska for furs.I see them all the time.I usually have my 338-378.I either want to use the 243 I have or my 264.I have thought about getting a 204 Ruger or a 220 swift.I have shot lots of wiold dogs but never wolves.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you used a full metal jacketed bullet, you wouldn't have much problem with the .338-.378

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
dgr416: I have the same question! Going on a wolf hunt in Ontario in March. Was going to use my Encore 22-250 with 55 gr. V-Max. bullet (very accurate in my gun). But afraid it will tear up hide too bad; so tried some loads with 60 gr. Nosler Partition. I've been through (6) loads and just cannot get it to group (1-12 twist). Now thinking of using my 270 WSM with one of the following bullets: 90 gr. Sierra H.P., 110 gr. Hornady H.P., or 130 gr. Barnes TSX. I have loads in all three that group very well, but still afraid the two hollowpoints will tear hell out of hide!!! The Barnes seems like overkill, but MAY be more fur friendly. Anybody got any thoughts on best combo for minimum fur damage?

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Coltchris and dgr416, Chris if you are hunting with Peter Martin I would recomend a larger caliber as the wolf is a very determined animal when driven from the bush. Most hunters who have shot wolves would tell you to use a good deer rifle. That is a bit more than a .22 centerfire has to offer. I would personally wish to use a .260 Rem as an absolute minimum, not that lesser calibers and energy levels will not kill them, but rather that if I was traveling to hunt a trophy I wouldn't be looking to fool the weapon choice. IMHO and best of luck. dgr, go with the .264 and don't look back. Good hunting all

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
308Sako: I'm not hunting with Peter Martin but rather a friend of mine North of Thessalon. I take it from your post that you don't think a 270 WSM with 130 gr. Barnes TSX is overkill and would be OK fur wise?

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Yes Chris, that would be a good combo, and the fur isn't going to be blown to bits on a tough old dog... Good hunting.
Dave

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'd go with at least a 22-250 and up for wolf and use a bullet not designed for varmints. I use 2 243's with 80 and 85 gr bullets. They will kill a 160 lbs wolf out at 300 yards with extra to spare.

I would never consider using the 204 Ruger for wolves. I hear of enough yotes running off with that chambering as deadly as it can be.

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering the size of them I would use a 308 270 ect. They well kill just like any other critter in the same size range.

Thinking about the size of the exit hole I have seen on deer I think a good tough bullet would be just right.

I would stay away from light for caliber bullets and would want something that well work out ot at least 300 yards.

Having stiched up lots of pelts a 2 inch exit hole on a wolf sized pelt will not be that hard to fix.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never shot a wolf. I have shot a lot of yotes and quite a few feral dogs and dump offs. Some quite large, none that would come close to 160 pounds. And a .223 and a 22-250 has always worked well.
FWIW, I'd avoid the FMJ bullets. I tried that for less pelt damage and it does work but I would often shoot a coyote and kill it but it would run a long ways before realizing it was dead.
Again, we aren't talking about an apparently bullet-proof wolf, but I had pretty good success with the .223 and a TNT bullet or one of the other fragile bullets. The bullet would blow up inside the coyote and often would not make an exit hole.
I'm gonna GUESS that a .243 with a light hollow point bullet might work well. (at last, something a .243 might be good for) Big Grin

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
My 2 243's stay in the gun safe come deer season. They are bullets proof too. jumping

Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I have been pondering the same type of dilema posted here. I have settled on 243 WSSM as what I believe is the best all around varmit and predator caliber.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
A neighboring slip of a friends is occupied by an old timer who came south from AK several years ago. He was interesting to talk with, and told stories about hunting with a Win 70 in .257 Roberts in AK for Moose, Caribou, Wolves ect. Not that I believe the Bob would be my choice but he liked it as a good "middle ground" rifle. He sold pelts of various kinds but said he liked the Bob because it worked well for most other stuff but didn't hurt the prices of his fur much.

Having seen some of these wolves, I'd say they're a bit bigger than many people believe. A smaller deer rifle sounds to me like good advice. Of course, well placed shots with a .22-250 or .220 Swift should work. I'd be more comfortable with a bigger bullet. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I want to start hunting wolves in Alaska for furs.I see them all the time.I usually have my 338-378.I either want to use the 243 I have or my 264.I have thought about getting a 204 Ruger or a 220 swift.I have shot lots of wiold dogs but never wolves.

Try the 264 with Barnes solids.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thought you said you have a 243, load that up with a barnes solid,or load some 105 speers there a spz. and should zip rite through,you will proably have wind to deal with,and the 243 will drift less than 224 dia bullets,wish i was tagging along, thats something iv''e wanted to do 4 quite some time,please post pictures and story,regards jjmp clap

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I load both the Sierra 85 gr. Game King Hollow Point and 80 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip for wolves in my pair of 243's. Good BC's, flat shooting, good wind resistance, and enough weight to follow through at those long ranges.

Too many people........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never hunted wolf, but I'd bet my 25/06 would be almost perfect for them.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote