New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep fed coyotes?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a local sheep farmer that has lost some sheep over the last few months that has given me permission to hunt coyotes around his farm. My question is, what types of calls should I use to try to get these yotes out in the open during the daytime hours? Thanks.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used rabbit distress calls successfully around a sheep farm, in the winter. I don't call in the warmer months, but think that would work. They are killing a lot in the summer to feed their pups.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I helped a guy who had several goats killed by coyotes and I just used a Jackrabbit distress mouth call. I made it sound more like a fawn distrees but it worked great . I got a coyote each time I tried it . I called once every two weeks and got three coyotes .
Another think to try is set up on a dead sheep carcass and blow a fox pup distress call.

Posts: 17 | Location: Tuolumne Co | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try to howl them in. Give them a couple of barks and a howl or two. If you get a response (challenge) mimic their howl. They will come to see who is in their neighborhood, and kick their butt.

MG

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
IMO what is going to be critical is your location.

If the area is mixed fields and woodlots, the yotes will not want to come out into the open. I would imagine they have been shot at a couple of times and this will reinforce their tendancy to stick to cover during the daylight hours.

I would highly recommend looking over the area very well before setting up. Scout and see if you can find scat that will indicate where they like to be. Wait a few days after doing your scouting and then sneak into the set. Don't under estimate them.

The coyotes we have around the sheep ranches south of me are tough to hunt as they are pressured heavily by the ranchers and dog hunters. You gotta bring your "A" game.

I may get flamed but the choice of calls would be way down on my list of concerns.

Best of luck to you. I hope it is not what I think it might be.

And if I am preaching to the choir, sorry.

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i use an old hand-cranked siren... i wind it up a couple of rounds and see how many coyotes bark or howl.... i use recorded rabbit andhouse-cat kitten distress calls to get them close...and mouse squeeks to make them look at me...like from 50 yds in....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2840 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote