Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfires this varmint season?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
While I am lucky and started stocking up on components before the scarcity of them hit, I am concerned how long that their availability is going to be scarce on the shelves...

So I don't want to waste them on shooting someone else's sage rats....

At least locally 22LR and 17 HMR & 22 Win Mag have been pretty much available on the shelves, and there has been no price scare price increases on them....

So I am really wondering, instead of seeing action with the 223 this spring, looks like the 17 HMR and 22 LR, and maybe even the 22 Mag are going to see a lot of action over varmint fields this spring...

any of you guys sharing the same thoughts at your house??

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For years I used a Anschutz and a tuned up Ruger 10-22T 22 LR and Kimber 82 22 WMR for shooting prairie dog pups. I would use the 22 LR HP for shots out to about 70 yards and the 22 WMR for shots out to about 125 yards. Past those yards the bullet drops off perty fast. When the 17 HMR and 17HM2 first came out I got a pair of Cooper 57 M LVT rifles and a few cases of ammo for them. I limit my shot with the 17 HM2 out to about 80 yards and the 17 HMR out to about 150 yards. I can hit them at longer ranges but the v-max bullet does not open up the p dogs at longer ranges. Past 150 yards I switch to a 17 and 221 Fireball rifles. I grew up in the country so most of time when when I order reloading supplies or rimfire ammo I order in a half year lots.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot more p-dogs in my youth with a 10/22 and stingers, than my "adulthood" than with my center fires. Why not, at shorter range. Less noise, to keep the long range dogs feeling safe.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Seafire2

Where I go rockchuck hunting in the spring we have a routine of a bunch of fields to hunt over. Most of them require shots from 225-400 yards and are grand if the wind is not blowing.

We do have one area that we hunt by a creek where the shots are generally around 50-75 yards and for that one trip we use 10/22's that are tricked out and High velocity hollow points. If hit hard enough one shot will stop a rockchuck but sometimes a quick follow up is needed. At the end of the day we go to the local greasy spoon diner and relive the hunt and the most fun hike is the one with the .22lr's. Maybe this spring we'll go find more of those close shooting setups.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingWhen I first got to Colorado in the late spring of "66' two good ole boys took me up to Monument creek above Vega resevoir. Actually we didn't get into that area until the middle of June. One of the animals we were after was whistle pigs. I asked homer what is that. **You know marmots* Rock chucks. Look there are a bunch in those rocks. ** They look like ground hogs** That's them.. I'll tell you,I figured I could have collected a bunch of them with a K22. Called baptism I guess. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rock chucks is what I shoot over here in Oregon, I use a Ruger 17hmr. Seems too work with head shots.

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 years ago I picked up a Marlin 17hmr and love it for shooting sparrows & starlings and have killed a few possums and racoons.

Posts: 67 | Location: Possum Hollow, IN | Registered: 09 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire

if you really want some additional performance out of your 22 ammo, get yourself a Paco Tool, open up those small hollow points on that budget rimfire ammo and enjoy the carnage. I only use these modified rounds in my bolt rifles. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fasteel, What is a Paco Tool. Years ago I went on a weekend grey squirrel hunt. Had a new 22 mag. I opened up a couple of hollow points with a stiletto. They kind of looked like todays Win. Supremes. A squirrel was high in a tree top and my buddy gave my gun a try. The shot took it's head off back to his shoulders. My buddy was impressed. Lately I've been thinking about trying a drill and trying to safely hold the cart. You must know of a better way. Have a couple of boxes of tiny hollow points I'd like to open up. Curious about Paco Tool! Thanks

Posts: 47 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 15 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bigvarmit I tried a hand drill years ago. Drilled the hollow point out til I thouht was good enough, then had a scraper of some sort with a sharp side to make the hole bigger. Don't remember shooting anything though.Remember the movie The Bear, where te hunter got his knife and made an X in the lead. I know a guy who tried that to a 22, heused it on a jack rabbit. From what I remember it did alot of damage. That was years ago.

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roll-Crimp
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roll-Crimp. It gives me a funny feeling thinking about hitting ammo with a mallet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
While I am lucky and started stocking up on components before the scarcity of them hit, I am concerned how long that their availability is going to be scarce on the shelves...

So I don't want to waste them on shooting someone else's sage rats....

At least locally 22LR and 17 HMR & 22 Win Mag have been pretty much available on the shelves, and there has been no price scare price increases on them....

So I am really wondering, instead of seeing action with the 223 this spring, looks like the 17 HMR and 22 LR, and maybe even the 22 Mag are going to see a lot of action over varmint fields this spring...

any of you guys sharing the same thoughts at your house??

One of the big reasons I bought my new Cooper in 17 mach2 is that I could buy 6500 rounds on Eley mach2 ammo at the same time, should last a good while, I hope. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigvarmint:
Thanks Roll-Crimp. It gives me a funny feeling thinking about hitting ammo with a mallet.

B V

I have used my Paco tool on about 5000 rounds, much more of a light tap, i used a nylon cutting board for my base, works great. FS

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the big reasons I bought my new Cooper in 17 mach2 is that I could buy 6500 rounds on Eley mach2 ammo at the same time, should last a good while, I hope. FS

Fasteel,

sounds like you have all sorts of goodies up your way...

you must be one of those oil rich Albertans we hear about...

I wish I had 50,000 rounds of 22 LR ammo and about 6500 rounds of Mach2 ammo to shoot up...

I'm looking good for centerfire 22's and 6mms but I sure could use a lot more rimfire ammo...

I think I only have about 2000 rounds of 22 LR or so...and maybe about 500 rounds of 17 HMR and 22 Win Mag...

Seafire Jr gets out the 10/22 of his and 2000 rounds of 22 LR don't last very long...

I think if he had the opportunity, 50,000 round of 22 LR would last him the one season only.....

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
quote:

Fasteel,

sounds like you have all sorts of goodies up your way...

you must be one of those oil rich Albertans we hear about...

I wish I had 50,000 rounds of 22 LR ammo and about 6500 rounds of Mach2 ammo to shoot up...

I'm looking good for centerfire 22's and 6mms but I sure could use a lot more rimfire ammo...

I think I only have about 2000 rounds of 22 LR or so...and maybe about 500 rounds of 17 HMR and 22 Win Mag...

Seafire Jr gets out the 10/22 of his and 2000 rounds of 22 LR don't last very long...

I think if he had the opportunity, 50,000 round of 22 LR would last him the one season only.....

Johnny

You only live once, and being over 50 I'm pretty much 2/3's done, plus i never did any rifle shooting until I was in my late 40's. Nothing but clay targets and mallards before then.
I think you have shot more 223 bluedot, than I have shot in rimfire, but I may be catching up this year if you aren't going varminting.
Regards Greg

one of us
posted Hide Post
seafire and others, I know the 204 will see action as alwaysand the 6mm and 260 will be along for the long stuff(500yards+) butjust today I tested acouple rifles with new ammo...both Rugers!(That should surprise you all that GHD has Rugers now!! I got them for a song!) One was a 77/22 in 22MAGNUM and I had shot a couple groups with it back in November or December using the new Hornady 30 grain VMAX loading and thought it had potential. Today it got tested again along with the chronograph set up(was 78 degrees here today and I got a "shooting fix"!) That new Hornady stuff generates 2280-2300fps and the accuracy isfar and away above that of standard 22Mag ammo! Standard Remington 40 grain stuff is doing1985-2000fps and "spraying" but the Hornady stuff is darn good in this rifle!!
The other rifle is a Target Gray Ruger heavy barrel in 22 Hornet. VERY FIRST LOAD I tried.......9.5 grains of VV-110 and the 30 grain VMAX Hornady! I can live with 2800fps and .415" groups from a Hornet!!Should cover the 150 yard stuff with ease!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD, Does Hornady make a 30 gr. vmax in 22 for hornet? BV

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
GHD,

way ahead of you on that VMax 22 Mag ammo...
sweet stuff compared to old 22 Win mag ammo ain't it!

Also picked up a couple of 25 round double stacked mags from Shooters Ridge for $20.00 each that are for Ruger Rimfire Magnums...

check it out....I highly recommend them...

my problem tho, If I can run down a 22 Hornet Ruger, it is getting rebarreled into a 17 Ackley Hornet...

if I need a 22 hornet velocity, I do that at the reload bench with the 223... right now I have an ADL that is getting loaded to those specs, as a walking varminter...55 grain bulk Hornadys at 2400 fps with 14 grains of SR 4759 or 11 grains of Blue Dot...has a 4.5 x 14 Scope on top of it...light enough load that I can use small pistol primers if that is all that is available...

John Quincy Adams

one of us
posted Hide Post
bigvarmint, There are no 30 grain Hornady VMAX bullets catalogged for reloaders as far as I can find. These bullets came from Midway about 6 weeksago when they had a huge "blemished bullet sale". I bought around 10,000 bullets in different calibers and just got 2 boxes of the onesthey had marked ".224 30 grain polytip". Since all the other bullets appeared to be Hornady bullets I assumed these were 30 grain VMAX's. The bullet is the exact bullet that is loaded in the new high velocity "22 Magnum 30 grain VMAX" loads. I just went to Midway's website and they don't list any 30 grain bullets other than the Barnes or Bergers(can't remember which). I just hope I will be able to buy some more of these after testing this particular Hornet. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD, Thanks for the reply, Sounds like you're on to something good with that load in your Ruger. Grey stainless? I think it's the one I have. Shot real good. Those 30 gr. must be stubbier than the 35's. glad they shot good for you!

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
seafire and others, I know the 204 will see action as alwaysand the 6mm and 260 will be along for the long stuff(500yards+) butjust today I tested acouple rifles with new ammo...both Rugers!(That should surprise you all that GHD has Rugers now!! I got them for a song!) One was a 77/22 in 22MAGNUM and I had shot a couple groups with it back in November or December using the new Hornady 30 grain VMAX loading and thought it had potential...
GHC try your Ruger 77/22 with Winchester Supreme (black box) ammo.
Works well in three 22mags I have tried it in.
Never shot it through a chrono, but is very consistently accurate.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Marlin 917V .17HMR last year for my youngest sons (I have a few, no females). I see the A-bolt .22 mag and 917V .17HMR out quite a bit this year. My A-bolt really shoots 40gr Maxi mags. 3/4 inch, 5 shot groups at 100 yards. It does not like the 33gr BT. I figured I would give the newer 30gr a try. The 917 likes the 20gr variety. I'll be hitting Woodchucks in hay fields. If I find a 75 yard- area the old .22lr's will come out w/ Stingers. Aguila 38gr Hyper velocity .22lr shoot real well in all my rifles. Still cheap(er) ammo.
The CZ 527 Varminter in .223 will come out on occasions. But most shooting is done w/ the boys. Each one having a rifle makes it easier. JP

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Hell Seafire, if HR 45 passes you may need a computer chip in your forehead and a bar-code tattooed on your wrist just to own anything that propels a projectile.

I don’t know why anyone would be hoarding reloading components, you’ll just need to turn them over to the authorities in a year or two.

Just a joke? Maybe. But than again, is it? People Hated Bush (the media told you that you needed to hate him), “He lied people died”. A little over half the People of this country wanted “Change”! They (half of you) may just get it, unfortunately "they" take me down with them!

coffee

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rimfires are for kids, or at least younger eyes than mine. Black box Win Supremes 22 mag have been working best for me. A guy I work with gave me 5 or 6 different partial boxes 22 mags he had tried over the years. He is stuck on Black box supremes for his 1022 mag. Back when those 17 HMRs came out I swore I would never have one. After about a year of people telling me they were the best, most fun cart. they had ever shot I bought two. Mistake so far! First time I shot or "at" two chucks and watched them run away?? 30-40 yds. guess I missed or they were tough. Bought 1500 rounds and decided to give them a chance. 2-3 inch groups at 100yd the other day. P.M.O. Told a guy I used to work with and he said they take a while to shoot in. Well I hope I have enough ammo. The other day I shot at a crow about 90 yds. At least I must of nicked him, he had a real hard time making it up in a tree. His two friends were really yacking at him or me. For what I have invested I could buy alot of centerfire supplies. Seem more able to hit "things" better than paper. So answer is, I almost have to use rimfires this season.... OH Yea! NEF heavy barrel and Ruger 77 bolt all weather. Maybe that's why. Centerfires seem to kill better for me. I will not give up yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22 magnum in the Remington model 5. It is a great shooting rifle with the CCI Maxi mag ammo. FS

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping the Seafire Jr. goes through about 5,000 rounds this summer. Best place in the world to be spending your money as it keeps him out of other "entertainments".

We had 4 sons and I figured it was at least 5,000 to 7,000 rounds per summer through 2 10/22's for about 7-8 years. Back then it would cost about $100 for a summer's shooting supply. I figure one 10/22 has about 35,000 rounds through it and the other about 15,000 rounds. Best investment I ever made and a testimony for the 10/22. We did do the modifications with the Butler Creek stocks and barrels and about 4-5 scopes were used up during those summers. I finally pulled one 10/22 off the firing line and said that one is mine and let them use the other one with the warning that the next scope to hit the dust needed to be paid for by them. After that little meeting we had no more problems with the scopes going south and everyone saying, when asked what happened to the scope " I dunno".

Still many fond memories of those days and when we talk on the phone now they will relive some of those trips and shooting outings. Grin and pay for those 22 ammo runs to Wally World, he's worth it.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Well here's one of Seafire Jr a couple of seasons ago, with his lefty thumbhole 10/22 in action...these were taken at about 125 yds...

here's one a little older, this was one of his first red mist ones, with a 223...

and then the close up of it...

he has a lot of envious buddies, who want to go real bad...

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Dad used the Marlin mach 2 for everything. including yotes and coons. I bought a pair for my sons as well, inexpensive and a great shooter, needs some work beforehand though. everytime i see that rifle i think about the old man, he was pretty proud of it

quote:
Originally posted by proplinker:
5 years ago I picked up a Marlin 17hmr and love it for shooting sparrows & starlings and have killed a few possums and racoons.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
The .223, .204 and 6.5x55 will get a work out this year as usual. However, there may be a few less rounds fires in favor of the .17 HMR.

I love to "walk about" with the rim fire and a set of shoting sticks to areas we can't see from our long range bench locations.

Wear a BDU jacket with LARGE pockets full of ammo. Not only can you shoot for a long time, but the long sleeves provide some needed protection from the relentless sun of the high Montana prairie.

The prairie dogs behind the terrain we have not shot at are pretty comfortable and not spooked allowing us to walk easily in range of the rim fire cartridges and take many of them before they go down the holes.

Great field shooting practice for hunting and a lot of fun.

I also use the .17 off the bench and have made hits on PDs at near 300 yards in light wind conditions. That is fun.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote