THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Which WSSM would you pick for coyotes?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which WSSM would you pick for coyotes?
 Login/Join

Picture of Canuck
posted
I'm looking at trading a 308 Win off on a new WSSM. Its for my Pa to eradicate 'yotes with and so I can get my 220 Swift back!

Which one would you pick? Most shots are between 350 and 600 m. He's been doing really well with my 220 Swift, so I am leaning toward the 224 WSSM, but could be convinced otherwise quite easily.

I was actually going the 25/06 route, but the WSSM's have caught my eye of late.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In a factory configuration, I think I would go for the 6mm. I shoot a 223, but it has a fast twist in order to shoot the long, high b.c. bullets. The 243 would still give you the chrome lined barrel, and access to the high-b.c. bullets. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your father is using your Swift now then I would go with the .223 WSSM over the other two offerings(.243, .25). The .223 WSSM will do anything that the .220 Swift will do and do it a bit farther on out. I really liked my M70 Coyote .223 WSSM so much I ordered another one in .25 WSSM. Lawdog
wave

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they make a 6mm I would go with that lots of good bullets better wind bucking ect. A 25 cal would be could also work well. I perfer the bigger then 224 bullets at the longer ranges.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Canuck,

Let me see if I got this right. You are going to trade off a .308 of yours,...... to buy a brand new gun to give to your Pa,..... so you can get YOUR used Swift back,.....that your Pa is shooting just fine with????? bewildered

I love my Pa too, but "opportunities to buy another gun" (for YOURSELF) don't come along all that often. Smiler

Anyway, you mentioned out to 600m. For that reason I would opt for the .243 or .25 WSSM, although I really like your original choice (25-06).

(Damn I wish I had a Son like that)

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote