THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Varmints You Don't Want Hanging Around

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmints You Don't Want Hanging Around
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted
Here’s a varmint you don’t want around. Shoot it with anything you have including Raid.

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 9

Day 10

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it is just a flesh wound sofa

Posts: 718 | Location: Utah | Registered: 14 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mick, Man-O-Man!!! What an UGLY result. I've seen Rattler bites that were not that bad.

Is that your thumb?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is that your thumb?

It’s not my thumb, thank God. I was going through and getting rid of old files and folders I had on the computer yesterday when I came across those pictures.

Brown recluse spiders are not aggressive bitters according to some people who have studied them but when they do bit it’s nothing but real bad news. I heard an “expert” say that some people never fully recover from the bit. I don’t know if the guy ended up losing his thumb or not, if he didn’t he sure has one hell of a nasty scare.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
damn! WAS going to eat breakfast...never mind...

Posts: 285 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 12 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made my living as a exterminator since 1977. There are many different brown recluse spiders world wide. The bites range from minor to life threating. In the US there are at least 5 sub species (I have been told by the guys who are big into research). The ones we get here in the Southeast are not nearly has bad as the ones they see out West. What gets you with the brown recluse is the infection that comes after, if you have any immune problems the bites are always worse and take longer to heal. 5% of the people who are bite have reacquiring ulcers with out any more exposer.

They like clutter, often the victims left their cloths on the floor got up and put them on and got bite. They are hunter seekers and do not make webs and move around looking for prey. I seen bad problems in old file storage and in a bank that had real bad termites, they were living in the walls feeding on the termites, when the opened up the walls for repairs they found hundreds of them.

Keep your place neat and bug free is the best defense, with outside treatments as needed.
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD
Thanks for the suggestions on how to keep this and other critters away.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Thanks JD,

I knew there were a number of different subspecies but I didn’t know that they were not all equally poisonous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
Thanks JD,

I knew there were a number of different subspecies but I didn’t know that they were not all equally poisonous.

They all don't look the same, some have darker markings then others. Some you barely see the fiddle. males are smaller than the females.

THE ONE THING THAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT THE BROWN RECLUSE FAMELY OF SPIDERS IS THAT THE ONLY HAVE 3 PAIRS OF EYES! That is the best way to id a brown spider

All other spiders have 4 to 8. Looking at the face one pair would sit where each our eyes are and one pair would sit on the tip of our nose.
A pair of eyes look like two little dots sitting side by side and almost touching.

One other note the bite does not sting , you may not know you have been bit.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
One other note the bite does not sting , you may not know you have been bit.

Thanks again JD. I have read that people don’t feel the bite.

I have captured spiders that I really wondered about, thanks to you I now know to count those beady little eyes.